The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40,122 Posts
I thought Wheels would be there forever. I think I heard he was with the Phil's for 38 years. I think Tom McCarthy should go too.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dc 21 said:
I thought Wheels would be there forever. I think I heard he was with the Phil's for 38 years. I think Tom McCarthy should go too.
i hear ya. sounds like it boiled down to politics

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
dc 21 said:
I remember listening to Wheels when he first started in about the mid/late 70's. About 1977 I think.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Never cared for wheels, he knew the game but I felt he acted like no one watching knew anything about baseball. Sarge I could tolerate but was nothing special. I believe it had to do with the new tv contract they signed.

·
Registered
40,122 Posts
Wheels was a master at stating the obvious but you're right, he knew the game. McCarthy, on the other hand, still doesn't know when a ball is gonna leave the park. I'm watching on tv and can tell it's a homer. If he's OUTTA HERE, I won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I remember when he first started he was with Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn. Wheels was kind of a side light who Kalas and Ashburn made good natured fun of if I recall. At that time he was kind of grating but Kalas and Ashburn kept him in his place. When he started he didn't take himself too seriously and the three were good together.

Never really listened to him as he got more air time as I had moved out of their radio coverage.

·
Registered
40,122 Posts
"Every Phillies fan within earshot of a radio on a humid summer's evening has a fond Harry Kalas memory. No one has a similar Chris Wheeler memory."

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
No more Wheels, "hard to believe Harry"!
I have a lot of respect for Wheeler, he took the high
road during his feud with Harry a few years back.
Very knowledgeable and always prepared.
You could tell he loved the Phils.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts