The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help from some wheelchair hunters. As you may have seen in another thread, we're hosting a acombat wounded vet for a crossbow hunt on our Illinois lease. His original wound was in his neck and till May he was paralyzed from the chest down. He had three strokes as complications to the original injury and now has lost use of his right arm too. He now has only the use of his left arm so is in a motorized wheelchair. He has been able to shoot his crossbow from the loaner wheelchair with a rest attached. His new chair just came in and has a "footprint" measuring 44" x 27". The top of his head is at 56" in the chair when it's lowered all the way down and he has about 8 inches of lift available. I'm hoping some of you guys have some experience with portable blinds and can help steer us toward what fits for you. We really are hoping to locate a blind that has room for our soldier and a companion to help in his hunt.

Any ideas guys?????
Thanks,
BTBowhunter56

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
i used a ameristep doghouse blind seemed to be large enough. the doors on most blinds are not big enough, so set him up first then place the blind over him as long as the blind does not have a floor.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
You should check out a double bull blind. I know they are pricey but they sure are roomy. I do not know the dimensions on the door but worth a look.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Those are the blinds we were headed for and I'm fairly confident they'll work just fine. It's just that being a guy with limited experience working with the situation, I was just hoping there might be a wheelchair guy or two out there who could share their opinions.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Can you make a frame out of PVC or ABS (light weight) and use a couple layers of camo burlap? You might have 100 bucks in it TOTAL, but will have a blind that is MORE than roomy enough,and custom built to the chairs needs. Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great idea! Thanks!

Quick, easy to work with and reasonable cost! I like it!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
no problem. just rmeember to use either multiple layers of burlap, or a layer of camo cloth with burlap over the windows. if you look hard enough you can probably find some of that really light weight shoot-thru screen too...in a pinch i think panty hose would do the trick...but you would need some extra huge QUEEN size ones I think...Not being mean...just well...nevermind. also, fabric on the roof would be imperative, and i personally would want waterPROOF roof, so plastic sheeting taped down securely is in order. if you do this right, you could have a unit that you could set up in 10 mins in the dark, or even the day/week before. must make sure to stake it down good.

·
Registered
143 Posts
As a quadriplegic I use a permobil c-500 wheelchair and have no problems using the double bull archery blind from Primos. It offers plenty of room for myself and another Hunter to assist me. I have also had good luck with the ameristep doghouse (a little smaller) and even the very small single person ameristep outhouse. I hope this helps, good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm a disabled hunter, a C-7 quad from a diving accident. I use the Ameristep Doghouse Blind like gunmaster12 and pittrehab which is convenient to set up and easily accessed. My son sets it up for us then tilts it back for my Permobil C500 to drive inside. It's not the most spacious blind but fits us both comfortably. I'm 6'3" and he's 6'. We use it for deer and turkey hunting. Reasonably priced too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts