The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you were forced to hunt with on;ly one cal and only hunted in pa what would you pick..for varmints to big game?...after giving it some thought and owning several cal from 243 to 300 mag i guess i'd have to go with the 25-06... with 75 gr V-MAX at 3600 to 3700 fps its really an awesome groundhog gun..load up some 100 to 120gr bullets and it's a stellar deer round..although it wouldn't be my first pick for black bear i personally know of two avid bear hunters that use one ,and my one buddy has actually got 4 bear with his so far one tipped the scales at a tad over 400..stout loads behind tough bullets and it will get the job done...so i guess i'd go with the 25-06..which would you pick?..certainly others like the 270 come to mind

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
since I reload I would pick the 260, if I didnt reload I would go with the 260

260 rem really shines when you roll your own

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I am a big 25-06 fan..................it is very very good, and very versatile, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for Bear, or Elk.......

That being said I am also in love with the 280, handloaded, you can get very close to 7mm Mag performance out of a standard action, you also have a great selection of bullet weights...............

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I guess if I had to use one gun for everything from groundhogs to bear, I would pick the 7mm-08. It wouldn't be my first choice for bear, but a big magnum wouldn't be my first choice for groundhogs.

I'm glad this is hypothetical because I don't think I could hunt with just one caliber.

·
Registered
575 Posts
7mm mag.

Curretly the only rifle I own is a 25-06. Great deer rifle. This calaber is not legal for PA elk so it couldn't be used for "everything".

G

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I would choose the good old venerable 270 Win. Light 90 to 110 gr. bullets for varmints and 130 to 160 gr. bullets for large animals.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i kinda expected alot of votes for the 270 and 25-06 the 260 is a cal that i'd love to have..getting harder to find them though..and the 7mm-08 certainly is a good one

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
.300 Win mag since I have one and have shot groundhogs at 435 yards with it. A bit stout on recoil but really how many shots do you fire at one time in Pa?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
love to hear why you choose your favorite..i am a HUGE fan of the 300win mag ive made some spectacular shots with mine. model 70 custom trigger glass bedded and oh so accurate..but really to much of a good thing here in PA (although there has been times i wish i had it)..i have two rifles out of all my guns that i seem to use the most. The 300 and my 25-06. ever since i purchased my 25 it has been an ongoing love affair. i have found it to be low recoiling ,and wonderfully accurate, easy to reload for. on the range i have discovered 75gr v max bullets bumping 3700fps when sighted in a smidge over 2 inches high at 100 yards will put me dead on somewhere around 300yds and be only around 8" low at 400..talk about flat!!..a hold under the chin of a chuck is pretty much dead from zero to 400yds.. my gun seems to prefer max loads. (actually a little over max)..115 gr nosler partitions at 3200 simply knock the snot out of deer..why?..don't know..don't care..lol..but yea it would be my pick. this past year i just for giggles took it for fall turkey..my boy's all said gosh dad the way it tears deer up you'll ruin a turkey!!..but i'm familiar enough with that gun..that upon seeing a nice sized flock working a hollow across from me.i picked out a nice hen and put a bullet right where her neck met her body..no muss, no fuss..

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
.300 win mag no doubt about it

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
As of today .270, hunted with it for 38yrs. and still goin. Many have come many have gone and the .270 is still with me....later

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
The .30-06 is my choice. Last year i did hunt everything from chucks to Black bear in PA with my .30-06. I used Sierra 110 grain HP's for g-hogs and Sierra 180's for everything else. Although I finally grew tired of everything I ever shoot with a 180 running off and needing to be trailed so this year I made the switch to Nosler 125 BT's for deer and I'll run 180 BT's for bear. It's no big deal if I have to follow up a hit animal for fifty to a hundred yards but it would be unfortunate if that gave another hunter a chance to tag my animal. So I'm trying for the classic bang flop now.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
7mm-08. bullets from 100 grains to 170 grains. Accuracy, trajectory and energy equal to and exceeding that of the .308 but with less recoil.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts