The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious to know what other archery hunters in PA do to attract bucks (if anything) and how effective your methods are, for example, Call (grunt, bleat, doe, buck), Scents (regular urine buck or doe, estrous, drag and/or hang), etc. Also include changes in use for time of season.

I am not real knowledgeable on this and I have used a young buck grunt on bucks early in the season. All they do is stop for a couple seconds, look my direction, and walk off. Not sure if using correctly. Maybe I should have used doe grunt.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm not a big fan of scents so that is out for me. Just never had any luck with it.

It all depends on the situation. Keep in mind this is all my experiences, as other may think differently. If you make the sound of a deer (grunt, bleat, etc.) you want to do it when they can't see the area. If they hear it, they will stop and look around. If they don't see what made the sound, they will move on. If you keep doing it, most likely it will scare them.

All situations are different. I've had luck rattling, grunting and using an estrous bleat. Start off soft and go up in tone/sound volumn from there.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
x2
I've always questioned scents because if they are man made there is always going to be something that is not right, and with a deer;s nose i don;t chance it. Some have great luck with them though.

If you grunt and rattle in a wide open woods, chances are you may not be able to draw them in because as stated, they are not seeing what is making the noise. Not saying they might not cruise on by. Not doing that in an area where the deer can;t see real well forces them to move through.

I don;t overcall, using the lessons from turkey hunting, just enough to get them interested and then shut them off.

Don't lay on that grunt tube like it's a trumpet if the deer won;t stop. You should increase the volume but not to the point of being unnatural.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Here is what I do. I will make some scrapes where I want a buck to stop. I assure you, if a buck is walking near your stand and he notices the scrapes, he will investigate them. I have taken more than a few over these scrapes. The only scent in them is my own urine. I would never put any commercial scent in them. Never. You do not need any scent in them if you prefer. If a deer is heading my direction, I do nothing. If I feel he is not going to head my way, I will try and get his attention (grunt, rattle, bleat, etc) Once he gets near my stand the sight of the scrapes will stop him. Try it.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I don't attract them, their patterns and tendencies attract me. Major food sources, edges of preferred bedding areas, secluded travel routes, funnels and pinch points, and this time of year...does. Calling can be great, scents can be great, and they all can work. However, you've got to be in the right tree regardless.

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
I don't attract them, their patterns and tendencies attract me. Major food sources, edges of preferred bedding areas, secluded travel routes, funnels and pinch points, and this time of year...does. Calling can be great, scents can be great, and they all can work. However, you've got to be in the right tree regardless.

That's as simple as it gets, but is as complete, as needed...

Well stated !!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
shootbowtech said:
Bingo !!

·
Registered
210 Posts
joeyfont said:
Here is what I do. I will make some scrapes where I want a buck to stop. I assure you, if a buck is walking near your stand and he notices the scrapes, he will investigate them. I have taken more than a few over these scrapes. The only scent in them is my own urine. I would never put any commercial scent in them. Never. You do not need any scent in them if you prefer. If a deer is heading my direction, I do nothing. If I feel he is not going to head my way, I will try and get his attention (grunt, rattle, bleat, etc) Once he gets near my stand the sight of the scrapes will stop him. Try it.
I'm going to have to try this. I'm still new to the attraction side of whitetail hunting. I've been "hunting" since I was 13 or so, I'm now 28. Up until this year, I've basically just sat in certain spots hoping something would wander by. That method yielded me zero deer harvests over the years.

This year is the first year I've decided to buy a grunt tube, can call bleater, and the pack rack rattler.

Now I'm going to have to see if there are any appropriate spots near my stand for some scrapes. Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Urinating on your scrapes? I don't understand that at all since the chemical composition of our urine compared to a white-tailed deer's aren't even close. Do you take used tampons and use them as scent drags? Just sounds crazy, that's all. I would recommend to nrowles to spend a few bucks on deer urine to use on mock scrapes. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
946 Posts
As shootbowtech and others have said you have to find out where the buck is going to be and get there first. I was able to do this on my particular piece of hunting ground by focusing on scrapes. By scouting in season but mostly after season, I was able to find scrapes that were used year after year year under the same tree. Many of these scrapes are in clusters, meaning there may be two or three individual scrapes in a 20 yard radius. Trail cams told me that there were several different bucks visiting these "community" scrapes. Even does would stand in them as they passed by. Hunting near these scrapes and observing the deer movement revealed to me the trail that bucks will mostly use to check it. Find your best ambush point on this trail. If you can find a good community scrape that is also near a funnel then you hit the jackpot. I currently have found one of these. Ive killed my last two bucks out of the same tree and passed on one last saturday. As far as urinating in scrapes, I do it all the time and does no harm at all. With the current CWD situation I have made the decision to not purchase any more urine based scents.

Good luck. Scout more than you hunt and try to put the scouting info into a game plan. It will pay off.

V

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes. The only scent in my scrapes is my own urine. Been doing it for over thirty years. Check out the studies done concerning human urine in mock scrapes. Here are some photos from my trail camera at a scrape I made near my stand with MY urine. I do not trust any commercial scent. There are four different bucks in these photos.

·
Registered
690 Posts
that could save a lot of money by just taking a wizz in your mock scrape as opposed to using code blue!!

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
I've always been skeptical about rattling antlers, but last year, I actually rattled in an 8 point which I killed. Until then, I wouldn't have believed the technique worked in PA. Then again yesterday, I rattled and shortly thereafter a small four point came by. I doubt that it works every time, but I think rattling is a good trick if you feel there is a buck close by, but you cant see him.

With scents, there was only one time that I can definitely say a deer was attracted to a place I'd left scent. In 26 years of bowhunting. I dont have a lot of faith in them, but I get some every year anyway. I've never had a lot of luck with calling, altho the other day that small buck that I rattled in reacted to my snort wheeze call by beating it out of there.

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
True story: One time, I got in a tree stand during rifle season and within a half hour, I had to take a dump. When I couldn't take it anymore, I climbed down, took care of the mission a little ways downwind of my stand, and got back up there. At that point, I assumed I wouldn't see anything, between disturbing the woods and the "bouquet" I'd left there. But, wouldn't you know it, about 20 minutes later, a three point buck (legal at the time) came along and I shot it.

I dont take enough dumps in the woods to say conclusively how it effects deer but, maybe if you are really desperate and you gotta go.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts