The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I struck out so far on getting a buck, so I'm headed to the deer woods for the late season. I'm planning on hunting the food sources, so my set ups will change from early archery. What is your thought for the best time of day to hunt? In the past I've hunted mornings and evenings, as I typically do in early archery, but haven't had much success. I've heard that many guys have success during the middle of the day in the late season.

What is your plan?

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I have had late morning success in the late season, and normally hunt the edges of bedding areas in the morning. As the late season progresses, I may move deep into bedding areas that are typically on south facing slopes in heavy cover. In the afternoons, I hunt the best food source I can find. I also typically key in on the small woodlots in populated areas where pressured deer are hiding out from the pressure they got in rifle season. Many times during the late season, areas that you would never think a deer would hide out hold great numbers, and mature bucks will hide some very silly places. You can bet I'll be bowhunting some very small woodlots, right in peoples backyards, and looking to fill my 5B doe tag while Im here in York for the next 6 weeks.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
I am hoping for some snow so I can go out and look for tracks. If I can find some sign around bedding areas, that's where I will plan to be once the late season starts.

·
Banned
629 Posts
treestand or ground blind (can't decide) along a well used travel route between bedding area and a loaded acorn area.

·
Banned
629 Posts
shootbowtech said:
I have had late morning success in the late season, and normally hunt the edges of bedding areas in the morning. As the late season progresses, I may move deep into bedding areas that are typically on south facing slopes in heavy cover. In the afternoons, I hunt the best food source I can find. I also typically key in on the small woodlots in populated areas where pressured deer are hiding out from the pressure they got in rifle season. Many times during the late season, areas that you would never think a deer would hide out hold great numbers, and mature bucks will hide some very silly places. You can bet I'll be bowhunting some very small woodlots, right in peoples backyards, and looking to fill my 5B doe tag while Im here in York for the next 6 weeks.
saw a group of deer (4 or 5) feeding in an open field today about 1130am.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've never hunted archery in the late season, but giving it a try this year. Tons of acorns still, hard to figure out where to go.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Our group does pretty good late season. I usually setup on the outside of the bedding areas and wait for the deer to funnel out to feed. Deer are slaves to their stomachs. I much rather hunt mid day/ evening. But if I do hunt mornings I hunt the area where the sun shines first. Deer sometimes focus in areas that heat up first when it's bitter cold out. Good luck this late season, good luck!

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Take a few walks behind the house for a couple hours then spend the rest of the time with the family or take the lab out grouse hunting. Both the family and the dog have to miss me during the early season.

Time to earn brownie point for trout season..... I mean focus on them. LOL

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I hope the weathergals are right this time, if we get the snow they are calling for I will do a Sunday walkabout looking at travel patterns.

Might deploy the ladder stand with a mannequin in it. Let them get used to that manly silhouette in it, then when The Alpha Predator is in it they'll have less of a clue.

I've never stuck one in the second season, but this year being deerless so far I will be more apt to shoot.

I've had good action in the mornings, and a couple seasons back I had a decent little 6-point in a late rut frenzy. Didn't want to shoot him, but he never let a doe stand still long enough to get a shot. Ran them all over the hill, the young ones must've been coming into a first estrous. Saw one yearling doe all by herself, five minutes later here comes Skanker-6 right in her tracks, and ten minutes later here comes a spike right in her tracks, nose down on the ground.

So if you see some rut-like activity, don't hesitate to try some of the scent you might still have left, if you're after a buck. A doe being harassed by a buck will probably lose her mind if she gets a whiff of that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
With snow in the forecast, hunting should be good. I've always had better luck in late season when snow is on the ground. Deer are easier to see, pattern (tracks/trails), they're moving about more looking for food.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I'll have my bow and my son will have his shotgun. Dad's looking for horns and son will be shooting at the baldies.

We'll also team up with friends and family and do some deer "bumping". It's like a drive but we try and get the deer to walk out of the thickets and give the posters,those closest to the houses with bows & X-bows a shot opportunity, the shotgun guys will be farther out as the last line of defense. The hunters avaialble tags (buck or Doe) and choice of weapon will dictate what each hunter can harvest.

Should be fun.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
sleep til about 9, squirrel hunt for a few hours, eat a hot truck lunch and them m/l til dark. late season is great for sleeping in.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
Plan on doing some still hunting with the trusty crossbow this week. Should be good with the fresh snow. Gotta love these archery seasons.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts