The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Venison backstrap, olive oil and montreal steak, let it warm up to room temp before throwing it on the grill. Sear each side, turn the heat down and don't kill it. I take it off the grill after about 10 minutes total, then wrap it in foil to let the meat "rest" for a few minutes.

Serve with made from scratch mac n cheese and a nice glass of Cab

·
Registered
96 Posts
Venison Backstrap - season with salt and pepper on both sides - get the pan real hot with olive oil and 2 garlic cloves - sear each side, only a minute on each side (if that), put the garlic cloves on top and add butter to pan - baste melted butter over the top with spoon - put in hot oven for about 8-10 minutes. Take out and rest - slice and enjoy

its simple and incredible

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Coat venison steaks with cornmeal that has been heavily seasoned with seasoned salt. Fry in oil till a crust is on both sides, then put in a baking dish. Sprinkle onion soup mix all over, add some mushrooms on top if you like them, then add enough beef broth to keep it moist. Cover and bake at 325 for 45 minutes, then uncover for 15 more minutes. Some broccoli or cauliflower/cheese sauce, and a baked potato go great, as does a nice cold beer and some good company.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I like to slick back straps thin. Salt and pepper. Heat some butter hot. Toss back strap in hot pan with sliced peppers and onions. Fry til pink. Don't over cook it.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
canned venison with a can of cream of mushroom soup, served over noodles or biscuits. the kids devour it.

And I found something Venison that the W1F3 unit will eat. Country fried steak cutlets. I posted the recipe already here, and she can't not eat them...it's amazing

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hands down....the very best recipe I've ever had. And I love 'em all!

Copied from an old post by TheSmayWay:

Venison Tenderloin with Blackberry Sauce

1 (3 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 (3 oz) package blue cheese, crumbled
3 TBS plain yogurt
2 TBS minced onion
1/8 tsp pepper
1.5 lbs venison tenderloin trimmed and cut into thick slices (it doesn't really matter the amount you have, the pieces should just be good sized chunks. Basically cut the round backstraps into 1" thick pieces and you'll have pieces that meaure about 2" wide and 1" thick". If you have more tenderloin, just make sure you have enough of the suaces to go on top)
6 bacon slices (we used turkey bacon tonight because the woman doesn't like pork all that much..... still good)
2 garlic cloves, pressed (or just some minced garlic out of a jar worked fine too)
.5 tsp salt
Blackberry sauce (recipe below)
Garnish with fresh blackberries and parsley if you feel like it

Blackberry sauce recipe
1 cup fresh blackberries (frozen can be subsituted)
.5 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 packed brown sugar
.5 tsp salt
.5 tsp ground cinamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground red pepper

Directions for meat:
Stir together the first 5 ingredients and set aside (this makse the blue cheese topping)
Wrap each piece of venison with bacon and secure with a toothpick
Rub with garlic and place on a lightly greased rack on a broiler pan
Broil 3" from heat with door partially open for 2-4 minutes
Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of salt turn and broil 3-4 minutes
Sprinkle with remaing 1/4 tsp salt and top with blue cheese mixture (if the meat is on the pan with the bacon on the sides, the blue cheese should cover the top)
Broil 1-2 more minutes or until the cheese is lightly brown
Drizzle with Blackberry suace

Blackberry Suace Directions:

Press blackberries through wire mesh strainer into small saucepan with the back of a spoon
Discard seeds
Stir in vinegar and remaining sauce ingredients
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 5-6 minutes or until slightly thickened

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I would have to say tenderloin done on a hot grill.

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
Rugged Hunter said:
Hands down....the very best recipe I've ever had. And I love 'em all!

Copied from an old post by TheSmayWay:

Venison Tenderloin with Blackberry Sauce

1 (3 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 (3 oz) package blue cheese, crumbled
3 TBS plain yogurt
2 TBS minced onion
1/8 tsp pepper
1.5 lbs venison tenderloin trimmed and cut into thick slices (it doesn't really matter the amount you have, the pieces should just be good sized chunks. Basically cut the round backstraps into 1" thick pieces and you'll have pieces that meaure about 2" wide and 1" thick". If you have more tenderloin, just make sure you have enough of the suaces to go on top)
6 bacon slices (we used turkey bacon tonight because the woman doesn't like pork all that much..... still good)
2 garlic cloves, pressed (or just some minced garlic out of a jar worked fine too)
.5 tsp salt
Blackberry sauce (recipe below)
Garnish with fresh blackberries and parsley if you feel like it

Blackberry sauce recipe
1 cup fresh blackberries (frozen can be subsituted)
.5 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 packed brown sugar
.5 tsp salt
.5 tsp ground cinamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground red pepper

Directions for meat:
Stir together the first 5 ingredients and set aside (this makse the blue cheese topping)
Wrap each piece of venison with bacon and secure with a toothpick
Rub with garlic and place on a lightly greased rack on a broiler pan
Broil 3" from heat with door partially open for 2-4 minutes
Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of salt turn and broil 3-4 minutes
Sprinkle with remaing 1/4 tsp salt and top with blue cheese mixture (if the meat is on the pan with the bacon on the sides, the blue cheese should cover the top)
Broil 1-2 more minutes or until the cheese is lightly brown
Drizzle with Blackberry suace

Blackberry Suace Directions:

Press blackberries through wire mesh strainer into small saucepan with the back of a spoon
Discard seeds
Stir in vinegar and remaining sauce ingredients
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 5-6 minutes or until slightly thickened
I am sold !!!!! Going to give it a try this week !!!!!
Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
The Great Orator said:
Venison backstrap, olive oil and montreal steak, let it warm up to room temp before throwing it on the grill. Sear each side, turn the heat down and don't kill it. I take it off the grill after about 10 minutes total, then wrap it in foil to let the meat "rest" for a few minutes.

Serve with made from scratch mac n cheese and a nice glass of Cab
We prefer it with baked potato, asparagus and Victory FestBeer. I grill our strap exactly the same way you do.

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold"> A camp favorite with all the guys....

Remove the silver membrane from two backstraps...
Put both straps in a aluminum roosting pan after rubbing with olive oil, salt and pepper...

Quarter about 2.5 lbs. of potatoes. Leave the skins on...Throw taters on top of the meat...I've used red skin taters before with great results.

Add two small bags of baby carrots
Add two green peppers... sliced
Add one sweet onion... sliced thin
Add two cans of peas...Drained

Warm two cans of creme of mushroom & two cans of creme of celery....Pour over the top of everything.

Cover pan with foil..

Preheat oven @ 225-250, then add this one pan meal...

I prepare this meal the night before & just put it in the oven early the next morning...6-7AM.

Let it cook all day....Stir it once around 12-1 PM.

We eat around 6:00....Serve with warm Cabatta bread & a ice cold beverage...</span>

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Rugged hunter, is it 1/4 cup of brown sugar? your recipe only says 1/4 brown sugar

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Not trying to give a bump,but you need to check out my comet stew,page or two back,,,it rocks,,and you will be the MAN .

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Venison fillet cut 2 inches thick and made Pittsburgh rare with red wine and challot sauce, twice baked potatoes with sour cream and chives and baked asparragus. Next is my venison Philly cheese steaks. Then there is venison Goulash, gotta stop my mouth is watering.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I use a very sharp chinese cleaver and slice across the grain of frozen venison as thin as possible. I do this midday to allow the meat to thaw in the fridge in a bowl lined with paper towel to soak up the blood. I put olive oil in a large skilled at medium heat and saute the sliced onions until they are almost caramelized with a little salt and fresh ground pepper. When the onions are done I push them to the side of the pan and put in the beef without putting in any more oil and keep it moving around until it is done on medium high heat, with a little more salt and pepper then turn down heat to medium and mix the onions and beef together, I then add a little tomato sauce that I made with garlic, oregano and basil before hand and have on the burner to stay warm, I use enough sauce to make sure all the venison and onions are wet with it but not enough to have it pool in the pan, you don't want your roll to get soaked and fall apart. Lastly I lay some slices of provolone cheese on top with the heat turned off and as it melts I mix thoroughly with the meat and onions. Lastly use as good a roll as you can buy, load up the roll and serve, I like hot pepper rings on mine. Enjoy.

·
Registered
666 Posts
John, that's almost word for word how I make my cheesesteaks. We prepare the meat a little differently tho. I chip my backstraps on my slicer and vacuum seal and freeze in appropriate portions.
I also like to throw in some mushrooms with the onions and prefer mozzarella cheese (cheese whiz is great too). This is making me hungry. Agree also on a good quality roll being the key!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts