The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everyone's favorite crossbow and why is it your favorite? Its fps? Have you taken (killed) anything with one?

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
I have had 11 different crossbows hanging in my shop over the past few years. I have hunted with all of them and killed deer or turkeys with many of them.

IMO, the TenPoint Vapor is my favorite of the bunch. It is solid, plenty fast, great fit and finish, narrow, self contained rope cocker, accurate, quiet, and great customer service.

My CamX Chaos is an exceptional bow as well. Built like a tank, very light weight, great ergonomics, comes with custom arrows, and my most accurate crossbow.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Shot several makes and models and read a lot of info before purchasing a ten point vapor.

Like the quality, the narrow width for tree stand hunting, crank style cocker, and double safety feature. I can shoot this crossbow both left and right handed with excellent accuracy. Price was on upper end, but I find most of the time it's less expensive to buy top of the line product than buy at bottom end and not be satisfied and then purchase another.

Just started hunting with it last year and have shot several doe and one buck thus far.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I've used crossbows for over 20 years because of a disability. The best I think is Excalibur,I had Horton,Parker and Barnett and had problems with all of them. No cams or cables to break,I just string it up and it's ready to shoot...:)

·
Banned
813 Posts
The Ravin R9 will cause archery season to be shortened. That's how bad it is. No rail, a legit 393 FPS and is as accurate as a rifle.

Please keep comments related to the original questions asked.

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
The Ravin R9 will cause archery season to be shortened. That's how bad it is. No rail, a legit 393 FPS and is as accurate as a rifle.
Crossbow shooting much faster have been on the market for almost a decade. On the accuracy thing, most crossbows are capable of great accuracy at 100 with the right arrows. It has been that way for a very long time. The groups you posted have been shot with boring consitancy by crossbows that have been on the market for years.

The Ravin has actually been having some accuracy issues with factory arrows, according to some early reports. The railess design brings tuning into the equation. Since it uses a special arrow, only available from Ravin, this may be a problem for them moving forward.

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
The Ravin R9 will cause archery season to be shortened.
Is this your favorite crossbow? If so, why? That was what the OP was asking for, not a post meant to stir a pot that has been stirred to death over the past decade here.

·
Banned
813 Posts
Crossbow shooting much faster have been on the market for almost a decade. On the accuracy thing, most crossbows are capable of great accuracy at 100 with the right arrows. It has been that way for a very long time. The groups you posted have been shot with boring consitancy by crossbows that have been on the market for years.

The Ravin has actually been having some accuracy issues with factory arrows, according to some early reports. The railess design brings tuning into the equation. Since it uses a special arrow, only available from Ravin, this may be a problem for them moving forward.
I shot the Ravin freehand at 50 yards and I doubt you could shoot better groups with a rifle. ( I can't anyway)
What " special " arrow are you talking about? You can use any arrows you like it just voids the warranty, The arrows are GoldTips and the only complaints I have seen are from people who make and sell custom arrows...
Its the same with my Parker Cyclone, I have always used their Red Hot arrows because if I don't like the Ravin, it voilds Parkers warranty.
Speaking of my Cyclone, I absolutely love it, but once I shot the Ravin I was sure that either the PGC will either make them illegal or this crossbow is gonna cause us to lose the extra 2 weeks that we fought for so hard to get. I'm sure you are right, there probably are other crossbows that perform as good as the Ravin, but I can't comment on those, all I can say is that the Ravin is like using a rifle in bow season.

·
Banned
813 Posts
Is this your favorite crossbow? If so, why? That was what the OP was asking for, not a post meant to stir a pot that has been stirred to death over the past decade here.
Up until I shot the Ravin, I couldn't find a crossbow that made me want to replace my Cyclone, I would have recommended that the OP check out the Cyclone as well but Parker doesnt make them any longer.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's ok guys, I actually have been looking at the Ravin. Not for myself ( as I am completely happy with my Storm Rdx ) but for my wife. As far as the 100 yard shots, honestly, my Storm Rdx can do that too. But i'm an ethical hunter and would never even try a shot that far with a crossbow. My farthest shot to date was with my old PSE compound - where I took a large doe at 86 yards. And in my opinion, even that was foolish on my part.
And I seriously doubt that the PGC is ever going to take away our use of crossbows now that they have allowed them. Truth is, if they ever did, I think a lot of people will quit hunting. Because a lot of us can't afford to switch back and forth....
I have a question DPMS that maybe you can answer ( or maybe you can't ): is there any real data showing that there has been an increase in the archery deer harvest since the use of crossbows over compound bows? I mean, I know that crossbows allow more people to actually get out and enjoy our great sport ( people who otherwise wouldn't have been able to - like children ). But are more deer taken now that crossbows are allowed? Or does it balance out as I suspect it does.
My original reason for this post was just to get some ideas for a new crossbow for my wife. So far she's only ever had a Barnett Quad 400 and a Horton Vision (hand-me-down from me). So I think it's time I buy her a "New" crossbow.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
): is there any real data showing that there has been an increase in the archery deer harvest since the use of crossbows over compound bows?

This would be nice to see...it would let us know if all of the angst re: crossbows is really warranted.

I was not able to find it on the PGC web...maybe someone with better computer skills can find it.....please post it up if you do.

thanks!

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
all I can say is that the Ravin is like using a rifle in bow season.
LOL. Crossbows with much higher performance specs have been around for a decade. There is so much that separates a rifle from a crossbow at 100 yards in hunting conditions there is not enough space here to talk about nor is this the forum to do it, in. This is nothing new so move along to the next pot stirring expedition.

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
I have a question DPMS that maybe you can answer ( or maybe you can't ): is there any real data showing that there has been an increase in the archery deer harvest since the use of crossbows over compound bows? .
The archery harvest has gone up in proportion to the increase in archery license sales in Pa. Ohio keeps great information on harvests by weapon along with other stats. In their deer report it details statistics that show the percent of hits, misses, non recoveries, and recoveries is within 2-3% between compound bows and crossbows.

The percent of the total antlered harvest by archery has been also rising in Pa. That trend began long before crossbows were legal as we are losing 100s of thousands of rifle hunters during the same time archery hunting remains strong.

Below is a very small screen shot of the Ohio stats. If you have a tablet or phone you can blow it up and read it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
We as a group are not going to compare crossbows to rifles or call them cross guns in this forum or any other forum on this site by the way.That will no longer tolerated on this site.It is a legal Pa hunting archery hunting device.It will be treated as such.Every person posting on this site agreed to not engage in negative posts.I feel comments like these are negative.Future posts like this will be edited or moved with possible action against the member involved.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Have a Stryker solution fast plus hands down best trigger , Parker small compact great inn tree stands . Cross am sniper 370 dollar for dollar best Xbox on market

·
Banned
813 Posts
It's ok guys, I actually have been looking at the Ravin. Not for myself ( as I am completely happy with my Storm Rdx ) but for my wife. As far as the 100 yard shots, honestly, my Storm Rdx can do that too. But i'm an ethical hunter and would never even try a shot that far with a crossbow. My farthest shot to date was with my old PSE compound - where I took a large doe at 86 yards. And in my opinion, even that was foolish on my part.
And I seriously doubt that the PGC is ever going to take away our use of crossbows now that they have allowed them. Truth is, if they ever did, I think a lot of people will quit hunting. Because a lot of us can't afford to switch back and forth....
I have a question DPMS that maybe you can answer ( or maybe you can't ): is there any real data showing that there has been an increase in the archery deer harvest since the use of crossbows over compound bows? I mean, I know that crossbows allow more people to actually get out and enjoy our great sport ( people who otherwise wouldn't have been able to - like children ). But are more deer taken now that crossbows are allowed? Or does it balance out as I suspect it does.
My original reason for this post was just to get some ideas for a new crossbow for my wife. So far she's only ever had a Barnett Quad 400 and a Horton Vision (hand-me-down from me). So I think it's time I buy her a "New" crossbow.
I wasn't implying that the PGC will ever get rid of crossbows and if they did I would be fighting to keep them. When the Parker Cyclone came out it was considered to be state of the art and the Ravin is more like a rifle then a crossbow. I'll provide the data your asking for.

·
Banned
813 Posts
LOL. Crossbows with much higher performance specs have been around for a decade. There is so much that separates a rifle from a crossbow at 100 yards in hunting conditions there is not enough space here to talk about nor is this the forum to do it, in. This is nothing new so move along to the next pot stirring expedition.
I wasn't stirring the pot, what I'm suppose to fib about my opinion? I'm still (edited) about your comment saying that you had to use " special Arrows" are they like " Magic Bullets" : )

·
Banned
813 Posts
We as a group are not going to compare crossbows to rifles or call them cross guns in this forum or any other forum on this site by the way.That will no longer tolerated on this site.It is a legal Pa hunting archery hunting device.It will be treated as such.Every person posting on this site agreed to not engage in negative posts.I feel comments like these are negative.Future posts like this will be edited or moved with possible action against the member involved.
I did nothing to break the rules or said anything negative about crossbows etc. In this thread or any other. I'm just saying that I shoot this particular crossbow better then my favorite rifle and I'm worried that with the advancements in technology like the Ravin might cause the PGC to shorten our bow season or ban crossbows such as this one. I have been pro crossbow probably longer then most here have been hunting. Here is a post I made about my Parker Cyclone last yr and the Cyclone is like comparing apples to oranges when compared to the R9. And I will be happily hunting with my Ravin next bow season. : )
http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/62-crossbow-hunting-forum/130664-life-expectancy-crossbow-esp-limbs.html

·
Registered
805 Posts
Parker tornado F-4, not only does it shoot very accurate with 100 grain field points, thunderheads, ram cats with red hot bolts. But the most important factor why I own an F-4 and have another as a spare is for its well balanced when shouldering.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts