The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
git my son a savage 243 topped with a nikon 3x9 , my son is a little recoil shy so went with a 243 , I honestly know nothing about the round whats you guys favorite deer round in this caliber >

·
Registered
11,282 Posts
I would recommend the 105 gr Nosler Partition. Do you reload? I don't think it is available in a factory round.

·
Registered
570 Posts
100gr corelokt always worked for me

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no dont reload , but i do love barnes tsx . will try a few rounds i guess and start with core locks...............

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have tried a lot. The most success and accuracy between 3 different .243's that I have has been the Winchester super x 100gr. Good groups and good performance for the money. I have tried the xp3 and they perform even better but they are a little pricier.

·
Registered
18,927 Posts
Look no further than factory Federal Fusions. I shoot them in most of my rifles. They are bonded bullets without the bonded price. Better performance than standard cup and core bullets and plenty reliable for deer sized game. No need for the premium stuff for Pa whitetails but I would step up to the Fusions over the basic cheaper factory offerings.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Im a big believer in using premium bullets. Way to much time and other money spent to watch a deer run off. 95 grain silver ballist tips are all we use. Not hole punchers... but they create massive damage. Accurate from my savage and tikka.

I tried the new hornady reduced loads for my 7 year old. A bit less loud and a bit less kick. But they were all over place at 100. I let him shoot the 95 silvers and he handled the kick fine.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I use 95gr Winchester Silver Ballistictips. Very accurate out of my 700 and kill deer out past 300 yards with good shot placement.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
I use the 85gr HPBT with 36grs of 3100.Every deer hit drops in its tracks.I have hit shoulders too and it works.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Never used Fusions in my 243, but killed quite a few deer with em in my 25-06 and 338 Federal and they do a great! When I use factory ammo in my 243 I usually use corelokts and never had a problem killing deer with em!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I tried the 95 grain Winchester whitetail xp's this year and was really impressed with the accuracy. I haven't done anything but punch paper so I can't speak to performance. I hope to be able to post about performance tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I load 100gr Gamekings for the wife. They fly real well and after they connect, they do everything exactly as they are supposed to, every time, so far without failure of any sort.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts