The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first time bow hunting this year, just actually started hunting late last year. I wanted to get a bow so I could go out for archery. My boyfriend advised me to get a crossbow, so I did. He thought I might do better with it than a compound and honestly it sounded like a good idea. I was good with it, but it was not very challenging and I really wanted something different. Sold the crossbow about a month ago and bought a Bowtech Heartbreaker. It’s no Jewel, but for now, the $400 price difference won. It turns out that I love my Bowtech. Now we initially set the draw weight at 40lbs. Just over the weekend we bumped it up to 42.5lbs. The goal is to eventually be comfortable with 50lbs. Since I know absolutely no other women hunters, I was wondering where some other girl’s draw weights were set. With my shorter than the average man’s draw length, there seems to be more pressure for a heavier draw weight.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Welcome to the site first of all ! If you are comfortable with the lower end of weight stay with it until it is second nature at 20-30 yards . When it is cold out there pulling your bow is not as easy . Best of luck....Finn

·
Registered
919 Posts
My buddy's wife can draw my 61#bow and not struggle but her bow is set at 40 # and she kills deer every year with most shots complete pass throughs.Stay with the 40# pull and find an arrow/broadhead combination that delivers good accuracy and good kinetic energy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Finn! I understand the coldness factor and being able to pull the weight comfortably. I have just been curious to know what weight other girls are pulling. Like i said, everyone i know who hunts are guys. The lowest they are pulling is maybe 60lbs. I definitely will keep it where i am comfortable with it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on getting my arrows weighed this weekend so i can figure out what kind of kinetic energy i am working with now. I wasn't having any trouble with the 40lbs, thats why we uped it a tad. I was able to shoot comfortably around 30 times before my arm started to get tired.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hey welcome to the web site . My name is vicki and I shoot a hoyt vixcen . I am set at 45lbs right now moving up to 50lbs here shortly . I found a nice set of broad heads at duhams sport goods last weekend they are for women who shoot under 50 lbs

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Vicki! I'm Santina. Really, broadheads for women who shoot under 50lbs? Who makes them? I never heard of such a thing. Well I know Rage has ones for low draw weight, but I don't think ill be using them this year.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I shoot 55lbs because I don't like to struggle and it will still put an arrow clean through a deer. I think the test is not so much that you can draw back, but holding it at full draw for a 30 seconds to a minute without shaking or letting it go forward is a more practical guideline. Use a decent cut on contact head and you'll have no problems. Magnus Stingers, slick trick razor tricks, something like that. Just stay away from mechanical heads with the lower draw weight.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The Queen wasp archery 75 grains . they are for women who shoot bows below 55 pounds
wasparchery.com i got mine at dunhams sporting goods 34.99 for pack of 3

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Great Orator said:
Use a decent cut on contact head and you'll have no problems. Magnus Stingers, slick trick razor tricks, something like that. Just stay away from mechanical heads with the lower draw weight.
Magnus has a life time warranty, no questions asked

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm actually looking at those Ram Cat fixed broadheads now. They are sharpened in the front and rear of the blades. So it cuts if it starts to back out too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I shoot with a crossbow. I have a steady eddie and acu draw on it. I love it, but was thinking of getting a bow. My son has a hoyt ruckus, its a kids bow but goes up to 60lbs. I'm planning to practice with that. Can i ask, what didn't you like about your crossbow?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I had an excalibur vortex. It was a great crossbow. Very fast and accurate. I liked the fact that a compound bow is more challenging. Personally, I hated cocking it. It's much faster pulling the string back on my bow now then that crossbow.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
I've never shot a cross bow. They look pretty cool but I love my bow. I would think a cross bow would be hard to load in a tree stand. I know there isn't much room in mine! lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts