The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Rifle season 2005, I had just had hernia surgury and was laid up the first week of the deer season. The second Wednesday came and I really wanted to go out, so I called my dad and brother and stood for a little in the AM until I couldn't take the pain anymore. Well, around 9:30AM we got together and I was getting ready to walk back out to my truck and go home to relax, when I turned around and saw a deer walking right at us. I said to them "here comes a deer walking right at us, it's a buck." The I said, "it's legal" My brother is behind me saying "shoot, shoot" This deer walked to 15yds from us, turned broadside and gave me the perfect shot. But before I shot, I turned to my dad and said "watch me drop him in his tracks so we don't have to track him", the I aimed and fired and dropped him right where he stood. Never in my life would I think a deer would walk right up to 3 guys talking in the woods dressed in orange. After the shot I jokingly said that the deer must have felt pity on me. They even made me field dress the deer which took forever in my condition. My brother did however drag it out of the woods for me.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Just before the rifle season, in 1993, i had knee surgery. I was on crutches. The camp location is really in the woods so i was able to crutch in to a spot and against a tree in such a position that i could keep my leg our straight. I sit down just before legal shooting hours and about 10 minutes latter here comes a deer walkng towards a mock scrape my buddy put down for me. I shot this 3 pointer 25 yards from where i am sitting. It is now about 7:10 AM. I tag the dear, but i cant gut or drag. I head back to camp. An hour or so latter one of the guys returns to camp, and is wondering why I am there. I tell him. We walk down to my buck and he guts it for me and says he will drag back to camp latter. Meanwhile another hunter and his daughter show up. The father offers to help my buddy drag the deer to camp because if I had walked in there on crutches the camp couldnt be far. So the are dragging the deer and I am there on my crutches, holding my buddies rifle and talking to the other guys daughter. I asked her have you ever shot a deer? her reply was no. Do you want to shoot a deer. Her reply was an emphatic yes and that she was frustrated that she had yet to ever do so. On cue here comes a deer from behind her, so i see it but she has her back to it. This deer cant be more than 30 yards or so. I say dont move be quiet here comes a deer, wait, its a buck. She accuses me of lying to her, and i recall saying, I dont even know you I'm not gonna lie to you. Here give me your dads rifle. So now i am there on cructches holdng 2 rifles. she swings to her left and shoots her first deer. Meanwile her dad is returning from dragging out my deer. when he hears the shot. So in essense, he leaves his daughter in the woods alone with some stranger for no more than 10 minutes, and she shoots her first deer.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Back in 1996...I missed a decent buck on the first day..and Trust me I had missed many a buck by that point and I was only 17 then.I would always seem to get deer sneaking up on me or running by me at 450mph. So on the second day I was watching the first drive of the day and I was at the bottom of a steep hill. The deer were running around the top of the ridge above me and then i saw a few break off and come streaking straight down the hill towards me. Well I see the first one is a nice little Y buck...So I hold behind the tree and wait to see if he would stop. Well he continues right at me and I am saying to myself "these deer are gonna run me over"...Well I get my 7600 30-06 amish machine gun ready and when they are about 10 yards away I step out from behind the tree and yell "HEYYYYYY"...I probably looked like a matador stepping out in front of a bull as the deer were flying and headed right at me when I stepped right out in the open dead in front of them. Well the buck out front slams the breaks on and slides through the leaves and I finally let one fly into him when he is (and we measured this) 7 feet away. Well I blew through his chest and the farside shoulder. He lays there and i walk out in front of him and he charges me head down (shoulders were blown out) and about takes me out. I turn and fire the remainder of the clip at him as he is trying to run away with out any front shoulders. He ended up dying about 25 yards later but it was very intense as I never used the scope as every shot that presented itself was way to close.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Not a kill story that I am proud of. I shot my 7 point last year with my bow at about 7am. I hit him hard and he went down hard right on the spot. As he was crawling away I could have put a second arrow in him but the way he went down I figured I had him. I stayed in my tree stand for an hour and then started tracking. He made it to the ridge behind me. When I got to the top of the ridge I saw him at the bottom (about 100 yards down) still alive. I sat there on that ridge for two hours waiting for him to expire which wasn't happening. I finally came up with a plan to sneak down the slope trying to keep our line of sight obscured by trees. I made it to a very large tree which was about 25 yards away from him and took my second shot. The second arrow I fired went through the neck and another one of my expensive luminocks in it. I then decided to retreat to my truck to shed some clothes. About an hour later I made my way back to him and he was still alive. I sat on a log watching him for yet another hour until I finally decided to move in closer and put 2 more arrows in him. After that I went back to my log and waited another half hour or so before he expired. A 7am buck and I didn't get home with him until the afternoon. I realized that my first shot was a spine shot. It wasn't a good morning for me and I hated seing this deer die like this but it was one of those learning moments that I will never forget. If I ever shoot a deer with a bow that goes down like that in front of me again and I have a second shot I will be taking it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
AmazonHunter...I have been there and it is even tougher in archery season. I learned early on in life when rifle hunting that bullets are comparatively cheapt and if possible fire the finishing shots as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
277 Posts
About 10 years ago I convinced my father to hunt the last Saturday of Rifle w/ me. He had all but given up hunting after hitting a big buck in archery, then loosing him due to a snow storm. We had hunted out of climbers for years and hadnt hunted together side by side since I was 16. I asked a buddy of mine if we could hunt his parents stand since they were all tagged out. When we got into the stand in the dark my dad was amazed at this stand...had steps right up to it, windows all around that we opened and a nice table w/ 4 swivel stools around it. He called the stand the tajmahal...quite a bit different than the loggy climbers we were used to
Before light we heard deer movin towards us and as it got light we could tell one was a small 6 pt. Dad asked if I had a shot and I said no, as the 'nnnn' came outa my mouth his 'o6 cracked and down he went. Ran towards us and it was an easy drag and gut job. Back up in the stand we go...dad is now on full lookout mode for me. Around 11am we hear and see 4 deer hauling the mail about 80 yards away through an oak grove. My dad is basically screaming in my ear that the last one was a buck. Up to then it was the hardest shot I had taken, not due to the running deer, but trying to concentrate on it as my Dad was screaming in my ear to shoot as he thought it was gonna get to the brush before I could take him. I let one loose and down the buck goes, he just piled up. I watched him for maybe 20 seconds and didnt see him move. I leaned the rifle against the wall of the stand and was getting my gear aound to walk over and take care of him. As I was reaching for my pack my Dad screams he is up...and running
I grab my '06 and look out and sure enough he is up and running away and just about to reach the brush...of course dad is screaming at me to shoot AGAIN! I finally touch off another round and down he goes again. This time I watch him for what seemed like 5 minutes w/ no movement. Confident that he is done in I put the rifle down again and reach for the pack, Dad screams he's up again
I jump up and peer out the window again...the buck is laying in the same position as before, but my dad is rolling around laughing uncontrollably. He said my eyes were the size of baseballs when he said the buck was on the run AGAIN. Walked up to him and he was a small 7 pt. 1st shot took out 1 lung, second was high and took out the spine. That was the last time my Dad ever hunted and we both were able to take a buck. We had a great time hunting together that day and the picture of the 2 of us w/ our deer is one of my most cherished possessions. A hunting season doesnt go by w/out him bringing up the 'eyes the sized of baseballs' story.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
My cousin was hunting on a cold ugly windy day and at
first light left his house to go to his stand, he was
about 200 yards from his back patio when a 6 point came
trotting across the field. Quickest and easiest season
he ever had he told me.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Hung my climber in a tree last Tuesday after work...pulled the bow up, and take a peek at my watch...3:52 pm. Put my head net on and was just reaching for my gloves and here comes a buck from behind me...we play peek a boo for a while and then he he walks to 25 yards, I Rage him, and he runs across the hollow and dies...I look at my watch...4:01 pm.

Nine minutes in the stand...nice 8 pt.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I was with my uncle for this one. Last year on the first day of archery we were set up on each end of a field. At 8 o:clock he shot a doe. We waited about an hour then walked out the oppisite end of the field from where he was to the road to put our stuff in the truck and then go look for his deer. As we are walking down the road he says it would be nice if it was laying beside the road. I then told him look about a hundred yards in front of us and tell me what you see laying on the side of the road. There was his deer laying a foot of the road and about 75 yards from where he shot it. I drug the deer about 20 yards off the road and gutted it while he went to get the truck.

·
Registered
358 Posts
On opening day in 1995, myself and two budiies all went hunting on a gamelands outside Avella. My buddy always sits on a log where three draws come together. At first light he shoots a nice 8. After he guts his, my other friend figres he might was well sit on "the log". At 11 he gets a seven point. By now "the log" becomes the "magic log". After lunch I finally made my way over to meet them and see two deer gutted and laying next to the log. My buddy says, "Hey...you might as well sit here while we put some drives on for you". I figured why not. First drive he comes a spike...boom! Deer number three from the "magic log". Three bucks from the same log within 7 hours. A day I will never forget.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
long time ago i had the first week of buck off. befor concurrent seasons and ar. its wensday and off to my favorite 2f hunting area. there are miles of old gas and logging roads to sneak through the woods. 3 swamps to sneak by, 2 timbered areas that have a road right down the middle. a huge powerlineand one extreamly large open draw to ease my way down that has in years past held an uncountable amount of deer. i pass the first swamp right after daybreak and see a couple doe,no buck with them. cross the creek and go up the side of the swamp and make a left turn on the trail. now i have a swamp to my left and watching it as i slowly move towards the powerline and where i truly expect to start my hunt. for some unknown reason i decide to look right, could only see mabey 20 yeard then it crests the top of the hill. to my complete amazement there is a single deer standing about 15 yards from me ,just looking at me. looks like another doe so i'm not to excited. it turns one ear and it has horn,short ,snapped off with a brow tine! i slowly bring the 336 in 30-30 up, center on its chest and BOOM. i look and its still standing there. again BOOM, its still looking at me! BOOM, nothing.BOOM nothing, its walks mabey 20 yards or so towards the swamp, stops on the trail.BOOM, nothing. now i'm like,huh, again i level on its chest,BOOM! nothing, it slowly walks into the swamp as i hold off with the last live round in the rifle. walk over to the trail and there is a few drops of blood but not much. as i'm standing there reloading i hear at last gasp of a deer. i follow into the swamp and right out of sight i find him laying. both antlers snapped off at ear level, one about 4 inches above the skull ,the other with a 3 inch brow tine. the bases might be as round as a 50 cent piece. i pull him out of the swamp and procede to field dress and when i open him everything is mush. when i get home and skin this deer had 5 holes through him all chest shots. he never batted an eye and never bolted. just walked off like nothing ever happened. earlier in the fall an eleven point was spotted near thet swamp, the next year he wasn't seen again

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
In 2008 I shot a buck on the first saturday of november at 4:30 pm.

So in 2009 I felt I had to go to the same stand on that date. Sitting in the stand that evening, I was day dreaming about how it all went down the year before.

I started to play out scenarios in my head like if he comes this way I'll do this etc...So my daydreaming continues and I think about hearing a car lay on the horn, hit a buck and it comes walking in from the dirt road to me and I shoot him. Crazy I know.

So around 4:30, I look up and see a buck feeding about 75 yds from me. Between myself and the dirt road. He is limping and it looks like his left front shoulder is hit. I glassed him, good 8 pt. He has what looks to be an arrow broke off in his shoulder.

I couldnt believe I had this deja vu...

So he walks broadside about 30 yds, I shoot, hit a little back and decided to let him go til morning because he ran a little after the shot, put his head down, flickered his tail and walked extremely slow so I figured liver.

Next morning, we go back and track the blood about 150 yds but then lose it. He had to go down to the clear cut and crick. We all circled down through and after a couple hours we couldnt find him. I felt terrible. This was at camp on Sunday morning so I went home.

Monday I get a call from my buddy who received a call from a local up there asking if one of us had hit a buck and didnt find it and to call the PGC if we did.

I call the WCO and he asks me for my story. I tell him, he says thats crazy and everything matched up, it had to be my buck. I asked where he found it...

Where we lost the blood, the buck walked up the hill and laid down against a camp and died. The residents called the WCO...

The next weekend I went up to camp, called the WCO and we met up. He took me to where he dumped the deer and we cut off the head. I happily filled out my tag for him.

He told me he would call me the night of the first day of buck season as he would surely have an illegal deer that he would give me for the meat. Sure enough, that monday night he called and brought the deer to camp!

·
Registered
968 Posts
My strangestdeer kill was my first deer with a flintlock, a big doe. I had this great spot that I always saw deer and 75% of the time the ones I saw were buck. It was about an hour and fifteen minute hike from the road, so I rarely saw anyone. It was my second year hunting with a flintlock so I headed out early so I was there before daylight. Right at daylight here comes this doe just feeding along on acorns. I let her get to about 25 yards she's broadside with her head down feeding. I was thinking this is gonna be cake. I squeezed the trigger gun goes off, smoke clears, she's still standing there looking at me. Right away I start to reload, she just stands there. I finish loading prime the pan, and she is still just standing there watching me. I line up on here with here still watching. This time the rifle went boom and she dropped. Curiosity killed the deer not the cat that day. lol

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
One of my co-workers told me that he was involved in a bear
drive in the early 90s with 6 other guys. They had driven
an ugly patch of woods two or three times with no luck,
and when they were going back to their vehicles when they
heard a shot not far away. They figured what the heck,
check it out. Turns out an older gentleman had been stand
hunting the same patch of woods and had connected on his
first black bear about a 150 pounder. He was pretty excited
and my co-worker and his friends proceeded to help him
drag it out. One of the drivers suddenly decided that the
lucky hunter had cheated and cut into their drive and the
bear kill was unearned and they should let the guy drag
it himself. The other drivers told him to get over it and
help drag or carry rifles. He got loud and they told him
to get lost. They never hunted with that individual again
after that.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
If I had to guess the craziest would be the '84 WVa rifle opener. I was hunting just down over the top of a steep draw about 75 yards, the spot I killed a 6 the year before. Just after daybreak a light rain started and having forgot scope covers I used baggie to cover the objective lens of my scope.

It was about 8:00. I hadn't seen as much a a squirrel and for some reason I looked up the hill and a nice 8 slowly working his way down towards to me. To my right about 25 yards away was a small ridge which dropped into a small draw then the big hill on the right. The deer walked into that little draw out of sight. I picked up my rifle, but didn't raise it all the way. I was kind of expecting him to walk out the bottom when I caught some movement just above the little rise...ANTLERS!

I raised the rifle 3/4 of the way getting ready and removed the baggie without looking through the scope, just over top of the rifle. It was maybe 30 seconds later when he walked up and on top of the ridge. I raised the rifle the rest of the way, looked through the scope....nuth'n but gray...it was fogged.

I could make out his silhouette through the gray, so I held where I figured the lungs should be...WHAM. The 280 Imp roared and all I saw was him go down nose first, roll over two or three times down the hill. How steep was that hill? I had to hook his antler under a fallen tree to dress him out, every time I rolled him on his back he slid down the hill further. Two an a half hours later I got him up that dang hill to the logging road!

Oh, the range? 17 steps or roughly 20 yards!

Bill

·
Registered
386 Posts
A few years ago I was working second shift and this was during the three day doe season. Well I'm hunting a steep power line near the house. I'm about half way down inside the wood line. I hear shooting the first hour or two and think nothing of it. I'm standing there and I hear a sound that I just can't place it. It sounds like a deer, but too loud and odd. Finally I see the source, it's an older hunter dragging a nice size doe. He was taking three steps and slowly pulling the doe towards him then repeating the process. I figure to offer some help to the older hunter and drag the doe out the logging road for him. He accepts but tells me it's quicker to go up the side of the mountain. I agree it's quicker but a harder climb, he questions my manhood and being a 20something boy I take the challenge. I ended up dragging that doe and him up the mountain. It must have been a sight to see a kid with 2 guns, a doe being drug and an older guy hanging onto the drag rope going up through the woods. I finally get all three of us to the top and near his truck. I'm winded and tired at this point. He starts questioning me again and telling me to load the doe, he's excited to get it home and show his wife he still has it. I was so tired I couldn't lift her, I asked if he'd help and he said no he didn't want to hurt his back, but he was sure I could do it. Finally I grunted her up in the bed of his truck, closed the gate and he was half way to his cab before I realized it. He never said thanks just jumped in and drove off. I swear that was the hardest drag of my life, I stopped hunting that area for fear of running into him again and having to drag another doe for that guy.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
2 quick PA hunting stories come to mind.

1-A bunch of my closest friends, hunting buddies and a few of their old timey dads got together to do some pushing during late flintlock. We meet up at the starting pt on some PSU public grounds to visit, have some coffee, have a few laughs before we started out. It was a really cold day but the sun was out, snow was falling, just a great day to be alive in the woods. My buddy's dad, who's one of the funniest men I know, starts walking w/ us out into this wide open cut field and just wipes out on some hidden ice under the snow. He's crying out for help laughing hysterically, tries to stand up and eats it again. I go over just dying of laughter, help him to his feet and we both fall over. Now the whole gang is just losing it.....we all finally get up off the hidden ice patch, everyone's got tears rolling down their faces and I look over and here comes one lone doe running thru the field and passes us at 15 yards. We all look at the deer in total disbelief, and we all agreed that the deer was just rubbing it in and we let it walk.

2-Last rifle season, 1st Saturday. After a very slow start to the rifle season a few of my closest friends got together to spend the day hunting on a little sliver of state land up above my friend's camp. It's steep and really thick, w/ 3 benches up there that all run parralel to eachother. So i pick my favorite spot on bench 2, my camp owner buddy is on bench 3 and my other friend is on the other corner on bench 1...all of us a few hundred yards apart from eachother. After hrs of seeing absolutely nothing moving, a gunshot rings out from the camp nearby about 200 yards out roughly about the same elevation as where I was hunting. Hmmmm, interesting.....please come my way, please come my way I thought.

Sure enough, deer after deer after deer all came towards me and hung up in some super nasty brush about 70 yards out. I saw 6 bucks, all shooters, and probably 20 does all milling around in one rediculously massive group. There was even more comotion on the other side of this little ridge hip (kinda sounded like a flock of turkeys there was so much racket) but the deer I did see was a crazy amnt. The 1st buck I saw was limping horribly in the front shoulder, I glassed him, thinking he may have been hit by the earlier gunshot but no visible blood, he looked to be an "average" legal buck, but it's too thick to shoot. i decided that I needed to do the right thing and put this buck down if I could. After 10 minutes of agonizing wait, all the deer began filtering up the thick draw past me and I let 2 of the biggest bucks I've ever seen walk right by me at 40 yards while I waited for a shot at the reluctant gimp buck left behind. 1 was an absolute PA trophy and it killed me to wait, but had to be done. Thankfully I got my chance and down goes the "average" gimp buck". I let the rest of the deer leave the scene before climbing down since I had buddies nearby....quietly walked over to my buck and low and behold it's the biggest buck I've ever taken! The Red Gods rewarded me with a wonderful surprise, a 9 pt w/ a neat kicker, long brows and solid mass that must have been hit by a car yrs earlier (had no muscle at all on his shoulder, was totally busted, no gunshots, etc). Halfway thru quartering the deer I hear my best friend's gun bark. I ease to my knees and here comes the massiver herd back down right to me at full speed. My other buddy is way off to my right, so I slowly rise up to my feet trying to get them to break his way.....and it works. 30 seconds later....BOOOM goes my other buddy's gun. Sure enough after the dust settles, we all got together and I had a nice 9 down, my best friend had a solid 8 and my other buddy had a 6 down. As we rehashed the crazy story, every single guy got a solid look at the giant buck AFTER they had shot and knocked their own bucks down....and he managed to survive the whole chaotic ordeal. We all dragged our bucks down together and had beers at camp to celebrate.....and we still wonder if Mr. Big is still around.

·
Banned
617 Posts
The first year I was able to hunt by myself without parental supervision I set out the back door of our cabin and up the mountain to a spot I had scouted just for rifle season. I arrived at my spot on state land that overlooked a creek bottem. I settle in, and minutes later 2 guys arrive on atv's stopping on private land then proceed to walk over to state land where I am sitting to hunt. One guy sits about 80 yards to my right and the other guy walks behind me to setup 80 yards to my left and settles in for the remainder of the afternoon. Figuring I wouldnt have a chance of taking a deer from any direction except straight ahead, I decide to move. I walk further around the mountain to a similar spot I had archery hunted. I find a nice area on the ground, clear a spot and sit down against a tree. The minute I sit down, another hunter 150 yards ahead in a tree stand appears. So, not wanting to ruin his hunting plans I continue on. I start heading down and around the mountain when I come across a well worn trail. I proceed down the trail, look around, it doesnt seem too promising. I walk back to the main logging road and continue on until I come across another well worn trail, so I walk in to investigate. I come to an open area of hardwoods on the side of a steep slope and now only have about an hour of light left to hunt. So I decide to lean against a tree and glass the area. I went to re-adjust my sling and notice that something doesnt look right. The back eye piece on my scope was cocked about 1/4" to the right. I must have banged it on something. As I look at it and wonder if I could fix it or not, leaves russle off in the distance. I told myself this better not be a buck, what am I going to do with the scope the way it is? Try to fix it and risk snapping the eye piece off? Its at this moment that I see antlers crest the ridge that I was hunting and the deer is heading direclty towards me. I look through the cocked eye piece and can see through it fine, but know that it has to effect the accuracy to some extent. I keep the scope on the deers vitals and wait until the entire scope is filled up by nothing but deer. I squeeze the trigger and the deer drops in its tracks. I lower the gun realize the deer was within 10 yards of me. I approach the deer and do not see a drop of blood. I turn the deer over, still no blood. Did the deer have a heart attack? I asked myself. I continue to search the deer for an entrance or exit wound and at this point I see blood trickle from its eye like a tear drop. I was aiming behind the front leg and shot the deer in the eye. The deer died instantly and I shot my first buck (7 pointer) hunting by myself for the first time after having to move locations 3 different times without a solid back up plan for a different spot to hunt. I on rare occasion might run into one hunter during the 2 weeks of rifle. But to have two guys pull up to the same spot, then for me to move to another spot that is occupied and finally find a spot with about an hour left and shoot my first buck, still boggles my mind.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
18 years old 8 point shot it at 50 yards. Fell right down, not moving, I got my gear together and unloaded my gun. Walked up to the deer eyes closed at the time did not register with me what that meant. Get ready to field dress he kicks and is standing 1 foot from me looking at me. Again gun unloaded and against the tree... He starts stumbling away so I got the gun loaded and finished him off. Moral of the story closed eyed deer not dead.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts