The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While waiting to hear Injunjr's story this morning, I was reflecting back to a buck I killed in the late 80's.

On the 2nd Monday of Buck Season in 1987, I was hunting behind my house after school with my Dad's shotgun. The property was about 60 acres of hedgerows and cut corn. I posted at a back corner near a swamp area that was private property. Just as I sat down, I came eye to eye with a buck that was about 35 yards facing me. I raised the gun and put the bead on the front chest and fired. The buck stumbled and ran onto the next farm out of sight. Since I didn't have permission on the adjacent farm, I walked over to knock on the door. As I got up to the house, I could hear all kinds of commotion coming out of the barn. I figured the farmer was in there working on a tractor and I'd go over and ask if i could track it! As I approached, what I thought was the farmer was my buck thrashing around. As a kid, I didn't know what to do, but thankfully that deer died within a minute or two. I somewhat panicked, grabbed it by the antlers and dragged it as fast I could out of that barn. I still remember that like it was yesterday. A crazy good memory!
Let's hear others!!!

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
First Friday of buck season 2001 I managed to convince my dad to take off work and go hunting with me. This was something he rarely did as hunting just isn't his thing anymore. He agreed and I made it my goal to get him a deer that day. There was snow on the ground so we walked from hollow to hollow looking for tracks. We finally decided to do a 1to1 push of a thick pine hollow, even though we saw no tracks going in or out. I waited until dad was 150yds below and started my way to the rim of the bowl in front of me. I hadn't taken 5 steps when I spotted a doe stand up out of a bed. I froze and just then made out the figure of another deer walking toward her...i raised, saw 4pts on one side and squeezed off the 20yd shot. She froze...he kept walking......so I shot again.......and again......and finally I was out of shells (had only grabbed 3 that morning, didn't plan to shoot). I watched heartbroken as the doe bounded up the other side out of dad's view with the buck in full pursuit, still unphased by the shots!!
That was when I looked down and realized the white snow was no longer white, it looked like a murder scene. I looked back up in time to see the buck stop......look back and fall backward down into the bowl! Dad came up and said "more than one shot......not good I'm guessing?". I pointed down and after a long bit of celebrating, we went down and tagged my 7pt. It was the first and only deer i've shot while hunting with him. He is completely out of the sport now, but he and I will always remember and cherish that hunt as one of the oddest days in the woods together.
How a buck could take 3 150grain .270 shots from point blank range in the boiler room and continue his pursuit is beyond me, but I guess the desire to reproduce in the wild can make anything happen?

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
First week of November 2001, I believe? I had a great stand location at the head of several steep draws with a thick bedding area above. Just after daylight I heard all kinds of commotion from the thicket followed by the unmistakeable sound of a buck grunting.

I mean grunting like there was no tommorrow. He must have grunted over 100 times before I finally laid eyes on him at about 70 yards, coming right at me on the trail of a young doe. I had dabbed some doe in estrus on a branch at 20 yards and the doe passed right by it without even acknowledging it. The buck however stopped dead in his tracks and presented a slam dunk 20 yarder, perfectly broadside.

I placed the pin just behind the shoulder and prompty touched the release trigger. Imagine my dismay when my arrow flew a foot over his back and stuck an inch into a large Oak

The bucked whirled took off and stopped about 50 yards out and just stood there trying to figure out what just happened. Then as if on a string, he stiff legged it right back to that branch.

Well, I didn't make the same mistake twice and that buck now resides in my living room

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Heres my most bizarre so far. In a treestand in buck season about a half hour before daylight, I was sending out some grunt sequences. I am a true beleiver in deer "calling", and before long I got an answer out of the darkness. I was sure it was downhill from me, but after years of running chainsaws, my ears lie to me now and then. I oriented myself looking downhill, and I am right handed. Just after daybreak the buck grunts directly behind my tree. As I turn my head I see big horns staring right at me, and he is in high gear in a second. I have one chance, a quick turn and over my right shoulder shot, which I took. The buck piled up like he was pole-axed, but something did not seem right. As I stared down from the treestand, I got the impression he was not dead. After about a minute I said nonsense, put my rifle on the pull line and lowered it to the ground. When my boots hit the first step, he was up and off to the races! I hit the ground in time to get off one shot, gun still tied to the rope! I found good blood right away, the kind that looks like someone carrying a bucket of red paint through the woods. As I took the trail, it led straight down to a broad bench and as I stood there thinking he must be right here, up and away he goes again! Two more shots, no deer! Well, I have one more bench to go down, then he is off my property, so I had to tighten up and get serious. With my best tracking skills ( following the red paint) I crept over to the last drop, and there he is, on the ground with his entire neck and head leaning up a hemlock tree, like he was trying to climb it, and still very much alive! One finisher took care of that, then I solved my mystery. My first "pop" shot had removed his lower jaw. All but one of my other shots had connected in the South end of the Northbound buck! He had propped himself up on that tree out of desperation I guess, but it was the most eerie thing I ever saw a deer do. Needless to say, I had about 75lbs. of burger, and a great story !

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Shot a doe with the 30-30 once that darn near got hung up in a tree. It was the 2nd day back in '07 and after the morning hunt, I stopped at the house for a bite to eat and then went back out to meet my hunting party to do some drives. I got there a little late as they had just started on about a 2 mile drive from the chopoffs into the Highfield (The family property) When I hit the RR Tracks, I saw 2 guys squatting down by the side of the tracks about 200 yards away....It was my Uncle and cousin. My Uncle called me on the little Motorola radio and told me where the meeting point was for the next drive.

I turned around, figuring to head back to the van and proceed to the meeting point, and wouldn't ya know it, a doe stepped out on the tracks within 30 yards of me. She stared at me...I had the rifle hanging by the sling from my shoulder. Well, she stepped off the tracks and passed behind a dirt bank...I unslung the rifle...She came out the other side and stopped again about 30 yards away. Crosshairs on...Boom.

It just so happened that she was standing directly in front of a small maple that forked about 6 feet up. She apparently was just taking a step when I fired because the bullet went through the elbow
(I guess you'd call it) of the onside leg and took out the lungs and top of the heart.

On impact, she leaped straight in the air and came down in the Y of that tree. I honestly thought she was stuck. But she managed to kick and twist enough to fall out of the tree and died right at the base.

My uncle called me on the radio again and asked "did you get her?" I said "Yep....but you gotta come see this!"

That story is brought up every year by several people in the crew.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Best day I ever had in the woods was the last day of rifle season 2006, when I was still in the young and gun mode and would buy as many doe tags as I could. I had 5 doe tags while hunting a small farm in area 2B with my brother in law. There was about an hour of light left when I caught 2 doe walking across a hillside about 150 yards away from me. I pulled up and seen 2 doe together. I took a shot on the first doe and she dropped in her tracks. The second doe stood still so I moved over to her and took a shot and down she went.

There were 3 other doe about 25 yards off to the left and I didnt see them until after I shot the first two doe. The 3 other does took off running, not away from me, but directly towards me. While running towards me, I took 5 shots and connected on all 3 doe. Within a matter of 15 seconds I had gone from having 5 unfilled to tags to filling all 5 tags. By far the craziest kill story I have.

After it took us about 4 hours to get all five deer tagged, field dressed and to the truck I realized that maybe I should have let the other 3 walk. After that I had 5 deer that needed hung and skinned. Then I had to cut all 5 deer up. It was a lot of work, but I didn't think of that when I was behind the scope. I can say that now I am a one deer a day kinda guy!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
missed a deer once thursday grunted at it. walked up the hill i watched it for 5 minutes then a doe walked up. pulled my bow back my stand creeked she turned around walked down then looked at me. missed her neck. she troted down the hill i grunted twice she ran back up. luunged her at 38yds. I dont even have a 30yd pin on my bow. I had used both my good arrows and broadheads. Killed her with a $3 broadhead and a arrow with a hole in the fletching. dumb luck? 100%

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Really two. I was on stand app. 50 yards from a Creek. Saw a Doe heading my way. Took the shot and thought I saw something White flying, Went and checked...nothing.My Brother showed up and we started doing the half circle tracking. He found a chunk of Bone laying beside the Creek. Well, we headed downstream and there She was, stuck in a downed Tree.The Bullet hit the Elbow and took out a chunk of it and kept on going through the vitals.
Second one was also a Doe I shot in the Head with my Flinter. It did a complete Somersault, landed on it`s Feet and did a half flip and kicked itself down over a steep Hill....which I had to drag it back up over.....

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
In 2004 I was hunting close to home, I could see my house from my treestand, maybe 400 yards. I was about 30 yards off the side road, facing the other way watching a big thicket and a field of high weeds. From our home, out the back window, there is a good view of a lot of woodlots and hillsides which back then, usually were a sea of orange.

One of my daughters was scheduled to have some wisdom teeth out that morning. Mid morning I saw our van coming down the road, they knew I was there and beeped and slowed. Daughter leans out the window and yells, "Hey dad! Get ready! There's a bunch of guys getting ready to push out The Jones' Place! <Name changed to protect my hunting grounds> They're heading your way!" They were maybe a half mile from my location.

Gave her the thumbs up and yelled, "Good luck, luv you!"

Couple minutes later a seven point sneaks out of the thick stuff and trots right underneath me, most definitely pushed out of there by that group. Shot was actually harder with the .270 than it would have been with a bow.

She was miserable when she got home, but a little forced smile with me and "our" buck in the driveway! Give her an assist on that one!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
One of my uncles was hunting the two day doe season
back in the early 80s and as usual saw more orange coats
than deer the first day. He went home for lunch and about
an hour later went back to his tree house. He had just
sat down and noticed movement down the trail, sure enough
a large doe can walking into the open and he dropped her
at about 60 yards. He started to field dress the deer and
looked up to see 9 more deer walking his way. He stopped
and sat still as they all walked by him as if he and the
dead deer werent even there. He said he had never seen
deer act like that before, usually back in the two day
doe season deer were as skittish as all get out. These
deer seemed to know they were safe and were in no hurry
to go anywhere.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Five years ago, I had a horrible case of the flu on the first day. Not to be detered, I dragged myself to my dad's place to hunt. I made it about 100 yards from the house, and found a nice blowdown with a hollowed out stump still attached which would provide me some shelter from the wind and rain.

I faded in and out of sleep for a few hours, and when I opened my eyes, there was a 7 point no more than 10 yards away. When he would look away, I'd pull that heavy Mossin Nagant M44 up a little, and we played that game for a while, until I had him in my sights. Now mind you, I was sitting on this log with my legs crossed, and this buck was 90 degrees to my left.

When I touched the rifle off, the recoil naturally pushed me off of the log where I landed on my back, threw up(straight up and back down), and passed out. My dad had been a few hundred yards away, and came to my spot at the sound of the shot. When I regained consiousness, he was staring down at me, and his first words were "By God boy, that gun kills at one end and cripples at the other". Covered in puke, I sat up to see the buck laying right where he had been shot.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
put out the watch on a doe drive years ago and made sure i was down over the hill enough from the last guy that i could "empty" something that had been brewing for awhile.

i heard a stick crack and looked up to see a big doe about 70 yards away. very slowly reached around the tree and got my gun. made the shot, finished what i had started and retrieved my deer with only one sock on.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
One day while using my flinter had one broadside at about 30 yards. At the shot she went down like lightening had struck. As I reloaded she staggered up, crawled over a long and stood up, After 2 steos she took off at a full gallup and out of sight as I finished loading. There was snow so I figured a simple track til I got down where she fell and saw all the hair. I just creased her back and never broke the skin. I tracked that deer for 500 yards or so and never a drop of blood. Left me talking to myself but still it was a wonderful day.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
During my first year of hunting on the first Saturday of rifle season, my dad and I walked through a piece of woods near our house called the "Canyon". It was a steep and thick place that was extremely tough to get through. When we got about half way up we saw two deer standing at the top. Both stood motionless for about 15 minutes and being a young and in experienced 12 year old, I took one step towards them and they were gone. However, when they ran my dad could see that one was a small buck. He went to the same place the following Wednesday and ran into the same buck. He was using his old Remington 760 chambered in .270 with 150 grain soft points that I got him for his birthday. He shot one shot and the deer started running. He got off another shot and the deer kept running. After waiting a while, he started tracking it. He got in sight and the deer started running again. So he shot a few more times. He then ran to the top of a hill and saw the deer running along the side of the hill and fired several more shots until he was out of ammo. When he walked to where it finally fell, it still got up and tried to run. He finally had to wait for it to die. When we skinned it out, it had 7 holes and he had shot 8 shots. All seven shots were in the neck or chest. The buck turned out being a half spike with about a 4 inch antler on one side. One of the biggest deer (body weight) that I've ever seen around our area. Since, my dad will never use 150 grain bullets in his .270.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Another good one I thought of was my grandpap's first buck. He had been hunting about 50 years at that point and never killed a buck and only got one doe which was the previous year. I was hunting close to the house as I had to quit early and go to wrestling practice in the evening. I sat in a place next to an old abandoned road. When I was walking out I thought it would be nice to see a buck walk out onto the road. Sure enough within about 10 seconds a buck walked out onto the road about 250 yards out and started walking towards me. I waited and it went into the woods below. However, I couldn't shoot as I could see houses on the other side of the deer. I knew the wood lot ended about 80 years so I figured he would cross the road to get into the other piece of woods. Somehow it eluded me and I never saw it cross. Within a few minutes I heard a shot below me and I headed home to go to practice. When I got home from practice, I found out that my grandpap killed a 9 point. When I saw the antlers I saw that it was the buck that I had seen.

·
Registered
531 Posts
When my youngest son was 12, he shot a doe that took off running on a death run. It ran about 50 yards and took a big leap right into the pond down below us. We had some rope in the truck and it took us about 1/2 hour before we could snag it and get it to shore. I still tell him the deer drown and he never hit it. LOL

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I was 16 so that makes it 23 years ago. I shot a doe approximately 150 yards away looking directly at me. I hit her in the neck. When I got the deer to gut her, I found the entry wound but I couldn't find the exit wound. I looked all over and around the neck. I couldn't find it.

So I proceeded to gut the deer. After I had everything cleaned out, I noticed a different looking patch of fur on its hind quarter. The bullet entered her neck 1/4 way up from the shoulder, traveled along the spine and exited out the hind quarter. It ruined some of that meat. I called it the magic bullet.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Most of the stories that come to mind involve OTHER guys' that I've hunting with bizarre kill episodes, but my personal strangest was opening day in NY a few years ago.

I was sitting in a treestand over looking a couple trails on the side of a mountain. Things started out slow that day, and I was starting to drift off when I heard commotion behind me. I turned around & saw a buck staring up at me, about 70 yards away, up the hill. I eased my way around, saw he was getting ready to bolt, and took a shot...missed.

I saw him running up the mountain, so I picked a clearing, put it on his upper back, and shot again. I saw him roll & start kicking, so I knew he was hit good. I watched him expire, climbed down, and started up the mountain to start gutting him.

When I got there, I started looking for entrance & exit holes...nothing. I cut him open, and the guts were like soup...just flowed out, and found the slug in the mess. I never did see a hole in the carcass (and I butcher my own deer), but one of the hip bones was shattered. The only explanation I have is a perfect Texas heart shot. Next time I will lead a little more if I take a running shot.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
A few years back I was hunting the last day of rifle season and I had a doe tag. It was about 20 minutes before last light and I was sitting at the base of a tree with my back to a hemlock grove, watching a hardwood flat. I glanced over my shoulder and a doe was standing in an opening in the hemlocks. I turned around and she walked through the opening and another stepped into it. I took a shot and she took off. I immediately started tracking and the deer was running directly towards the field which bordered the road and had a clump of houses right near the road. One of the homes belonged to my former landlord.

I follow blood all across the field straight towards the houses. I'm actually walking along the edge of the mowed part of a lawn watching the deer tracks and blood go through the lawn and then cross the street, headed directly at my landlords house!

As I cross the road I look up and there, in the landscape bed there is small "ornamental house" with a bloody smear on the front door and the doe laying next to it dead! Just then the door to the house opens up and my landlord says "Is that yours?" and starts laughing. I could've sat on that deer and changed the channel on their tv with a remote!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts