The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the new PA gas tax was a few cents higher for diesel, but why the sudden increase to more than a dollar a gallon more than regular gas? No internet chatter and no news reports. No one complaining, seems odd.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
That's because there are very few independent haulers anymore and companies are back to adding fuel surcharges to the bill. In the old days independents far outnumbered company drivers and when it became unprofitable to drive due to fuel costs they threatened to park their rigs, and the fuel companies caved in.
Every supplier and trash hauler we use has started tacking the fuel cost back on the bills, not as high as 7 years ago but close.

Fuel jumped immediately .12 the day after the new state fuel tax took affect. Saw fuel jump another .12 mid week in Philly this week. I passed a WAWA in the AM and it was [email protected] but on my way back to the turnpike in the PM the same station was posting price on the sign of $3.43.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The increased demand for home heating oil due to the extended periods of extreme cold has not helped either. Basic supply and demand. A month ago I was paying $3.89 for diesel. Filled up Friday and it was $4.39 at the same place. It [censored] but what can you do but pay it.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, same here. Diesel was $3.89 and is now $4.49. The tax on diesel only went up 13 cents, and gas 9.5 cents. I can buy gas for $3.38 a gallon. I don't ever remember a dollar a gallon or more difference. Even in the days when diesel was cheaper than gas.
I heard the same thing about the motor freight industry having their own deals with the suppliers, the natural gas industry must have the same deal.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
pappybear said:
Yep, same here. Diesel was $3.89 and is now $4.49. The tax on diesel only went up 13 cents, and gas 9.5 cents. I can buy gas for $3.38 a gallon. I don't ever remember a dollar a gallon or more difference. Even in the days when diesel was cheaper than gas.
I heard the same thing about the motor freight industry having their own deals with the suppliers, the natural gas industry must have the same deal.
Not around here they don't. Fuel surcharges have become a standard in over the road freight, it goes up and down with the price of fuel.
Diesel goes up every Winter, they usually blame it on the cold and demand for heating oil...it's the "shortage" they like to create every Winter. The tax certainly added to the increase this year. It is the 1st time I remember a $1.00 spread between gas as well. The bottom line is......because they can...

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I suppose they can keep creating shortages because no one holds them accountable. Politicians are too busy fleecing us with their Green Agenda.
I was checking area prices and it looks like Sayre was still below $4.00 a gallon. Is that possible?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
pappybear said:
Yeah I suppose they can keep creating shortages because no one holds them accountable. Politicians are too busy fleecing us with their Green Agenda.
I was checking area prices and it looks like Sayre was still below $4.00 a gallon. Is that possible?
I doubt that. Most places in Bradford County run right with the price at the Dandy Mini Marts, doubt anyone is that much cheaper than them. Even when the new Sheetz shows up in Wysox this Summer, I will bet they run a price war for a few months to get people through the door, then settle in at same price as Dandys, no need to sell cheaper.

Don't be to quick to sell that Duramax, prices will come back down when weather warms up......still not cheap....but closer to gas price.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL! Don't worry, I won't be selling the Duramax anytime in the near future. The 1500 Silverado didn't pull the RV very well. Can't wait to take it out west this year where diesel is still cheaper in some places than gas.
It looks like the price hike on diesel is only the North East.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Here's the being and end-all answer to why gas/diesel prices are so high......."they" change/increase the price.....BECAUSE THEY CAN! :-(

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where are all the outraged people who were blaming the increases on Bush and Cheney?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
pappybear said:
Where are all the outraged people who were blaming the increases on Bush and Cheney?
HA! I have been saying that for years. When gas was 2.80/gal they were calling for Bush's head and saying he was in bed with big oil. Now that "the savior" is in office.....not a peep! It surly falls under the heading of "that's different"!!!

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
The Bobo fans wanted <span style="font-style: italic">change</span>....they got it.....

The working class people would just like <span style="font-style: italic">change</span> back from a hundred dollar bill when we fuel our trucks!!!

·
Registered
559 Posts
buzz said:
The working class people would just like change back from a hundred dollar bill when we fuel our trucks!!!
Best quote here yet.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oaktowntom said:
a dollar more a gallon or half the mpgs its a nowin situation
I'm getting better mpg's from my new Duramax than I ever got with the 5.3L Silverados.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Me to, but I just put a H&S tuner in it, and ripped the factory exhaust and urea off it.......

1 - 20 of 36 Posts