The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pennsylvania law states that companies must disclose the identity and amount of any chemicals used in fracking fluids to any health professional that requests that information in order to diagnosis or treat a patient that may have been exposed to a hazardous chemical. But the provision in the new bill requires those health professionals to sign a confidentiality agreement stating that they will not disclose that information to anyone else—not even the person they're trying to treat.

http://motherjones.com/environment/2012/03/fracking-doctors-gag-pennsylvania

·
Registered
164 Posts
yeah, this law basically shows what these companies are all about, their profit. Which I have no problem with until it affects my family.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I doubt that will hold up in court. Putting proprietary chemical combinations ahead of the health and safety of citizens isn't the kind of thing the court will look at with favor.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I really hope you're right JohnS...who's running the state anyways?? I mean, what the &*^%? My kid gets sick and the doctor can't tell me why? You've got to be kidding!

·
Registered
463 Posts
The real issue here is the fact that people are NOT getting sick from frac chemicals and this whole issue has been used to try to stop drilling from day one. I know of no one that has ever been taken from a frac job for being exposed to any chemicals, frac fluids are not getting into the auqifer so people can not be getting sick from them. This is a case of assuming that news reports are true then over reaction to that non issue!

·
Registered
164 Posts
1trueamerican,

This has absolutely nothing to do with stopping drilling. It has everything to do with the health of the men, women and children in the state that may OR MAY NOT BE exposed to these chemicals. Don't forget, until a year and a half ago this frac water was being freely and legally dumped into our waterways.

There are things that happen that are called accidents. Sometimes they happen with volatile chemicals, sometimes they happen with automobiles. Just because nobody is being affected by radiation right now does it mean it's not dangerous? This is a law instituted by the lobby for the drillers to protect not only their proprietary concerns but to shield them from lawsuits connected to any accident they might have, to the detriment of the PA public. You're telling me that all those fracking chemicals don't have MSDS sheets that explain what happens with long term exposure to these chemicals? If there was no danger why did the drilling lobby hide this stipulation in a bill? Oh, I guess it's because there's a conspiracy among PA doctors to expose the proprietary mixtures used by drilling companies throughout the state. Gimme a break! I'm for the drilling of natural gas in this state, but I'm not for the all powerful, multi-billion dollar corporations passing laws that undermine the rights of every PA citizen and their health and the inherent "right to know" about their health and what may OR MAY NOT BE affecting it. This is one more step in the corporate control of America and the undermining of our rights based on the almighty dollar.

·
Registered
463 Posts
No. What I mean is that I have been around wells being drilled, fraced, produced or plugged for almost 40 years and have never, not once, seen someone overcome with frac chemicals or sickened as the news media and the anti drilling people say. I am not calling you anti drilling, I am saying that the anti drilling groups are using this to drum up anti drilling support. No one is dumping chemicals into the rivers, no one is polluting the aquifers. It is not happening. The frac fluids are 99.5% water and sand, I would not drink it straight, but there are plenty of things I would not ingest. Although it probably would not hurt me. Fracing has been around PA for 60 years....why is everyone just getting sick in the past 2 years? Or is this a convenient story for the news media that has been willing help for the anti drilling crowd.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Fair enough 1True...but this isn't about "drumming up" anything. It's a law that was passed. It was pushed through by the drillers. Why is there a law that they pushed through if there's nothing to worry about?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
proprietary rights to the frac formula.....kinda like the recipe for Coke, Pepsi, KFC..etc..etc.

Companys put a lot of time and money into figuring that formula out. They do not want to give that away....to other companys...or other country's.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I will bet if there was something in coke or pepsi that made people sick the Drs would be able to tell the sick person or the family if a child what made them sick.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I would think that if someone got sick from something in frac fluid it would be found in the body. Once found in the body the doctors could tell anyone they need to and has a right to know like a parent or patients. Then it would have to be traced back to the fluid.

That is the problem. The natural occurring song and dance or nope not in the stuff we use excuse needs to be eliminated.

There should be a place where the frack fluid exact recipe is held for such cases. No need to make it public or give the amounts out to everyone but it also should be tested from time to time to insure it is not a bogus list.

I would think there would have to be a MSDS list on site or they would be in violation of OSHA hazmat regulations.

Not sure is MSDS is correct but the list is of all hazmat held on a work site. It lists ingredients as well as treatment for exposure.

It is mandatory on military installations as well as civilian sites. If the Military is not exempt even when deployed why would the oil and gas guys get a pass. Waugh!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
MSDS is correct I just checked.

A Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) or internationally known as Safety Data Sheet (SDS)[1] (also known as PSDS, Product Safety Data Sheet) is an important component of product stewardship and workplace safety. It is intended to provide workers and emergency personnel with procedures for handling or working with that substance in a safe manner, and includes information such as physical data (melting point, boiling point, flash point, etc.), toxicity, health effects, first aid, reactivity, storage, disposal, protective equipment, and spill-handling procedures. MSDS formats can vary from source to source within a country depending on national requirements.
Waugh!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Pennsylvania law states that companies must disclose the identity and amount of any chemicals used in fracking fluids to any health professional that requests that information in order to diagnosis or treat a patient that may have been exposed to a hazardous chemical.
State law does not supercede Federal law and federal law says the MSDS must be held on the site. Seems this Pa law is just an information blocking tool to keep the public in the dark. One of the reasons for MSDS is for information to medical personnel. Waugh!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts