The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serial # 37xxxx or g37xxxx wanna verify the year and find out what it's worth or ball park. Blue has very few handling marks as wood is in good shape with a few small handling marks would say easy 90%~95% could be better plus it has been glassed and a timney trigger installed . Any info would be great.thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Im no model 70 expert or historian, but a pre64 model 70 in 7-08 sounds odd. I dont think the 7-08 was a factory chambered cartridge until the late 70's to early 80's. So most likely your rifle had been rebarreled/rechambered at some time. Once a rifle has been reworked in any way it takes away from the collectors value. When I am looking for a value on a gun I check out gunbroker or the Cabelas gun library and compare it to selling prices on a similiar gun.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Believe your right and the g in front I'm thinking is early 90's but I'm not a collector or a gun expert. Not sure how far back jeweled bolts go either and the stock looks like possibly a laser design. Still like to find a ball park value

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Featherweight classic there is one posted now on pennswoods for 800$ seems a bit crazy with a high country scope I believe(tasco)

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Does your bolt look like the one on the top or bottom? Mainly the extractor (long flat piece that runs along the right hand side of the bolt).

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Tony300wby said:
Im no model 70 expert or historian, but a pre64 model 70 in 7-08 sounds odd. I dont think the 7-08 was a factory chambered cartridge until the late 70's to early 80's.
Introduced as a factory round in 1980. Yep.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
G code began in 1970. If your gun serial number begins with " G ", it is POST 1964.
The top bolt in the pics is the " New " style, generically referred to in gun collecting as " Push Feed ".
The serial number you provided indicate mid to late 1980"s production, about 86 or 87.
If its been glass bedded and has some wear, you could hope for $500 on the market, which is soft for push feed M 70's. Sounds like you have a decent hunting rifle from the 1980's, however I don't think you have a collectible gun.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so the 200$ timney trigger has no effect on value?and very little signs of use just a few of this caliber I have ever seen were askin more then that and it will rot in the safe before I would sell it for 500$ Lol

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info and the help I'm sure I have a couple more laying around I have no clue what they are worth I just simply got them and they sit. Like a 1936 marlin 30-30 and a sav 99 takedown model in excellent condition in 300 savage

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Sadly, no. The model 70 factory trigger was the best production trigger made for 50 years. It is totally adjustable and tuneable, so adding an expensive trigger to a model 70 really never made much sense. As in any product where you add aftermarket parts, you will never see your money back at resale. ( Ie. Harleys, Jeeps, Lifted trucks, Etc. )

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Now I am more confused. The OP says its the bottom bolt in the pic. That bolt is a controlled round feed style, which is similiar/same as the pre 64 style, and was produced again after the push feed. Yet Joe says the serial number puts the OP's gun in the push feed action date range.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
The letter "G" tells the tale. That serial number without the G is 1956 production, that's where the confusion comes from. Also, as mentioned, there was no 7mm-08 in 1956, so there was no pre 64 model 70 FW in 7mm-08 either.
Winchester made the claw bolt again in about 1991, but didn't get to the masses until a few years after. I was dying to get my hands on one, and the outdoor writer Joe Coogan pulled a string for me and I had one waiting for me at the old Blairs in Williamport. Its possible to have a post 1991 FW in 7mm-08 with a claw bolt, but the serial number provided would not line up in time.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Agreed Bob, but in this case, at least 35 years apart, and no G in any pre 64 serial number and no 7mm-08 at the time.
It is also possible somebody screwed on a 7mm-08 factory barrel, possible with correct fitting. A picture of the gun would put it to rest.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Agreed. Pre 64 70s sold to consumers had no letter prefix...and only an "X" suffix to denote a duplicate serial #...which is very rare to see...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts