The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

What's the scoop on Utah CCW permits?

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  HighCountry66 
#1 ·
Recently obtained the above. The instructor stated PA residents must still have a PA LTCF permit. Local sheriff tells me there is a verbal agreement recognizing the permit being valid for a PA resident to carry concealed in PA....

Would like to hear other LEO's take on whether a PA resident still needs a PA LTCF if resident has a valid Utah permit...

#2 ·
Reciprocity means one state recognizes the carry permit issued to a resident of another state and vice versa. It doesn't mean a PA resident can get a permit from another state and have PA recognize it.

#4 ·
I don't know but I would be surprised if PA would recognize a LTC from any other state issued to a PA resident. Perhaps they do but it wouldn't make sense.

#6 ·
Considering Utah's requirements are far more stringent than PA's...fingerprints and FBI background check, for example, it would seem the verbal agreement (yes, agreement) PA has with Utah means PA does recognize them....

I do not know why it is not a written agreement but suspect PA law precludes same as it is currently written....which is why I am asking for an answer from someone who knows....

Incidentally, PA does recognize the Utah license for non-residents....

#10 ·
I believe that AG information statement is a new interpretation. Formerly, they were saying something different. Four years ago the Utah instructors were saying the same thing that you were told Bob by one recently.

Utah’s official pistol permit site lists PA as having reciprocity. http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html

Seems pretty easy to get a PA permit. So I'd suggest every resident get that PA one. And then see if you travel in any states that Utah permits are allow, and the PA does have reciprocity with. If you do then a Utah permit would seem reasonable.

#13 ·
The AG addressed the out-of-state license because PSP was having a fit over people getting licenses from states like Florida, then carrying in PA. They tried to say the person needed the license from their home state, in this case PA.

Well, one reason people were getting the out-of-state licenses was because Philly was NOT following state law in the issuance of licenses. Fingerprints, etc are NOT required to get a PA license to carry firearms. They were also using unpaid parking tickets, etc as a reason to deny people from getting the license. Sorry, but unpaid parking tickets is NOT one of the enumerated offenses to deny a person a license.

Anyway, the AG clearly addressed the issue of out-of-state licenses. Truth be told, all a LEO had to do was read the UFA, 6106(b)(15)
Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided:
(i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109.
(ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.

#14 ·
Not to hijack, but what is the advantage of the Utah permit over the Florida permit?

Florida seems easier to obtain since your hunters safety counts towards your firearms course.

It would be nice if someone could list where and when the Utah courses are being offered.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.