The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
The one that you are comfortable with and can shoot accurately with.
That about sums it up!
Although you will end up with any number of answers before long each with the best possible answer!

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
All centerfires will kill deer.Pick the one you feel comfortable with and your hunting conditions.No deer lives with a hole in the heart or lungs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
for what its worth, take whatever appeals to u, and have the stock fit to ur particular shape or length of pull, and have a trigger job done to it, and u will be amazed at how much of a difference it will make to the weapon in question. just my opinion of course

·
Registered
638 Posts
the one you have your booger hooks wrapped around when you see deer.

·
Banned
462 Posts
Depends on where you are hunting deer, both geographical region and type of terrain/cover.

For open areas with less cover im a fan of lighter faster flat shooting calibers.....243 is the perfect caliber in my opinion for our eastern sized deer when heavy cover is not in the equation.

For denser cover a bigger brush busting caliber would be a much better choice....270, 30-06, or 300 win mag. are all very adequate choices. Also the 30-30 if longer shots wont be in play, sure you can shoot longer with them but would not be my "ideal" choice!

Bigger deer out west where longer shots will be in play id be toting the 300 win mag.

I like lever and pump guns for quickness of the second shot if and when needed, but its hard to argue with the history and effectiveness of Model 70's and 700's

Its really all about personal preference and what you shoot well!

·
Registered
535 Posts
The best deer gun is the one you have and are comfotable with. Make, model, and caliber are all personal preference.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
here we go again,,,and nothing shoots consistantly thru brush it is just a old wives tail. pick what you like that is why they make different makes and models. I was amazed in Wyoming about 15 years ago how many locals still use a 30-30 for elk, even met a woman who claimed to use a 243 for elk. my cousin who is from Pa but now lives in montana has 2 rifles, a 700 in 7mm weatherby mag and a remington 600 in 6mm.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
Whats with all these philosophical, PC answers??? Everyone knows the .300 Savage Model 99 with a 2-7 Leupold VX2 scope is the best deer rifle ever made.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have three a Marin 1895 45/70, Ruger M77 30/06 (old model), Ruger Super Black Hawk 44mag. I would like to get a light weight bolt gun in 260 or 7mm/08, the 30/06 is starting to get heavy would never part with it though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
There is NO way im going to say 300 wby . But if thats your choice go with it. I know people that swear by the 30\30 some 243 and some the 7mm Ultra Mag. To each his own. Mabey 375 H&H one day then 223 the next.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Outdoor Bound said:
There is NO way im going to say 300 wby .
Wasnt thinking that, even though I have taken a bunch with it. I have been using that screen name for a long time.

Good luck, Tony

1 - 20 of 39 Posts