The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I am seeing, the area known as dma 2 has increased in size over the last few years. Now I believe it covers most if not all of Fulton county.

I live in the south central most part of the county, and have yet to see a sick deer, find a dead deer laying somewhere in the woods other than beside a highway or during or after a hunting season.

I understand that cwd is a very nasty disease, and we Deffinately don't want it in our state, but I can't help but question their methods in this current situation. For starters, the pgc is selling dma2 tags that can be used any time, even during the first week of rifle buck season, which is fine but if cwd is such a problem why not allow the use of ANY doe tag during this first week?

And also, there are restrictions against brining any high risk parts of harvested deer out of the dma2 area or even across state lines of a deer is killed in another state. I've read that the parasites or whatever causes cwd can survive in certain parts of the deer after butchering and if these parts are discarded improperly that the prions can contaminate the soil and actually infect other deer? If this is the case why not be more apt to remove road kills, after all if they are infected, wouldn't they contaminate the soil also?

I'm no wildlife biologist, and maybe I'm out of line with these questions, but I have lived and hunted in this area my whole life and am concerned of what the future holds. I accept any meant to stop this disease, but would like to see it done right for the future of this area.

·
Registered
20,151 Posts
CWD has been long established in many areas of the country. As far as I am aware, most is not all, still produce good hunting opportunities.

Colorado just completed a study on a new vaccine. The results were very promising. Another study about a year ago concluded that it is highly likely that cervids will develop immunity to it over time.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
DMA2 has areas of high density deer population and half a mile away they are nearly non-existent! Things aren't going to change much. Population to some 'decimated' from the good ol days already. Some burn their tags and others shoot first deer they see. To each their own.
Very surprised to hear WHERE they found it. Hunted 30+ years in the state lands all around the area and never seen or heard of talk of a sick venison.
Think borders should have an epicenter and ring effect. Sell license accordingly. Less extra tags as you move away from center. Just doesn't seem to make sense for possibility of tags going to guys hunting extreme edges of DMA2 when problem needs direct action around where animals were on the hoof.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand what you are saying Wadman, but I don't believe dma2 area is quite big enough to use the epicenter and ring theory.

But yes I do belive that some of.these tags may be abused on the "fringes" of this unit. And you are absolutely right about there being large #s of deer in one place and very sparse only a few miles away. I just wonder how big of a epidemic this really is?

I would like to see random tranquilization and testing to get a better gauge on this disease, maybe I'm asking too much but I would like to see some hard facts for once.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
I attended a meeting last sept in Berlin Pa on cwd put on by PGC. For dma-2 I'm in also and have done my homework real well so I dont get fined. This is the third year and they keep it for 5 years so enjoy the extra tags for 2 more years. They found a few more so they want to isolate it by making area larger. I have my own opinion it though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.