The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what your best trapping product other than something homemade was? I would have to say my most recent would be my loring pack basket. It made it alot easier last year carring all my stuff at once in there. Big help on my first big woods trapping attempt in Elk County for bobcat. Thats kinda what got me thinking about this. Gonna get ready to head back to Elk County for bobcat in a few weeks. So basically what else is a good buy out there?

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Re: Whats the best trapping product you have

Just got a trappers cap....i dont know how i set for 2 seasons without one...a trappers cap and waxed dirt i feel much more confident in my sets working....before i.was using polyfil under the pan....blasted my thumbs all the time...and dont know how many misses i had due to dirt under the pan etc...

I love my 3-1 ground hog tool as well...hammer to drive my anchor...use the other end to chop beds in tough ground..use the shovel end to punch dirt holes...i use a small garden trowel to dig beds most the time...i dont understand why land trappers use longer handed trowels to dig beds...to each his own...i try to keep gear as small and light as i can.... i need a pack basket or something as im on foot most the time...5 gallon buckets gets rough!

·
Registered
4,147 Posts

Here's how much I liked my 3-1 groundhog tool LOL:

Usually when a tool does more than 1 thing....it does none of them well. This is no exception. It was awkward and unbalanced in every aspect so I turned it into a dirthole punch that I can whale on with a real hammer.

These homemade pullers are my new favorite toys:

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Fairchild,
I also made my own pulled a few years back. Mines made of aluminum and it has a carabiner inbthe middle to attach to the trap. Fits right through the body of a swivel. Works very well also.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Mr. Ron Marsh's J hook tool. Best purchase a made this season

·
Registered
295 Posts

super stake ends for me no more rebar lighter to carry. next would b a swagger tool use alot of cabels for stakes and dps.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

My pickup truck! LOL!

Mauser, try a good D-handle trappers trowel and you'll never look back.

I second Fairchild's thoughts on the Groundhog. Ungainly beasts.

I would say that probably my best tool is a tile spade for water trapping.

I use Ron Marsh's Retrievable Cable Stakes and also his J-hook tool. They rank right up there, I'll tell you that much.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts

Oh ya...forgot Rons J hook tool...

I will have to consider a nice D ring handles trowel...maybe i dont notice because i typically set farm fields and it is fairly easy digging..and i rarely put in more than a half dozen sets in a day...

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

As I am getting older, I use the Tile spade to cut out most of my Canine beds and construct 'big hole' sets. Plus, Tile spade is a must for water trapping.
Several years ago, I switched from a YO-HO to an 'all steel' trap'n shovel. It's never failed or bent.

L.) D-handle 'all steel' shovel R.) Tile Spade

Steel, D-handle, one tough tool (Renno's)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

Brain!!

·
Registered
157 Posts

Snow will teach you more about set location than any other teacher you can find and it doesn't cost anything but your time and some shoe leather.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts