The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
anything you can take pride in. you are going to get alot of questions before anyone will give you an answer. my advice is to self educate on planting food plots. There is alot of info out there. Pick something and try it out. They are all great.

·
Registered
777 Posts
1st question you want an annual or preannual
My favorite is Chicory and clover with a Winter Wheat as a cover crop planted in the fall.I try to keep my chicory an clover plots going for as many years as I can.But I am usually planting an reseeding at least one every year.This year I am using buck forage oats as a cover crop only because it was free and I will see how this performs.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
parkershooter said:
i am from north east pa and was wondering what was the best thing to plant for a food plot?
There are some things better than others, but your goal should be to provide supplemental foods, as best you can, year round. Or, try to provide them earlier in the year or later in the year when natural foods are in short supply.

Winter wheat and rye will green up quickly in the spring, helping does and their embryos. Brassicas will be there late fall and early winter to help bucks recover from the rut and help does and fawns put on more weight before winter.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I like a fall annual plot because it has attracted the deer best for me in the fall when I want to kill them... I like a 30lbs oats, 30 pounds wheat, 15 pounds winter peas, 3 pounds of crimson clover mix for my kill plot in the fall.

But what plot is best? All depends on your goals, the equipment you have, the money you want to spend and the time you are willing to give it. Oh yeah, and have some land to plant it on!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Depends on how much of an area the plot or plots will cover. If you have a lot, I say a mix of the above. Clover is easy to take care of, brassicas needs to be rotated, but a mix should do fine. I say experiment and see what works for your area...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts