The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Whats the best All terrain Tire

4K views 28 replies 28 participants last post by  Potter Co. Joe 
#1 ·
Have to put new AT's on my 2010 tundra and am not sure what to get. I want a nice balance between longevity, low road noise, good wet and snow traction,and a decent price. I had BF goodrich Rugged Trails which only got me 25k and I currently have Nitto terra Grapplers (i didn't like the wet traction but got 45k so far) I am currently leaning toward cooper discoverys but I'd like to get some opinions first.

Thanks

#14 ·
RobOz said:
the BFG Rugged Trail is a piece of crap tire, it's not even in the same zip code as the BFG AT.
I run BFG AT KO's on my wife's 4Runner and my Tundra. Quiet as necessary at highway speeds on both, rugged looks for my pickup and tremendous treadwear. There may be a tire that's comparable but there's none better. After months of online shopping, I picked up 5 KO's for my '03 Tundra, slightly oversized at 265/75 16rim, 2 of which were practically brand new and 3 half worn for $300 from a local Tacoma forum member. Shop often and shop smart. Deals are to be had!

#15 ·
Used to run the Coopers on my old Colorado and thought they were great. I too will be in the running for a new set this fall. Likely will end up with the Coopers. Check out Five Star Tire out in Bethel Park. They had the best prices out of everywhere I called in the past. Also, keep an eye out for whatever promotion cooper might be running. Sometimes you can buy 4 and get a $100 visa gift card.

#16 ·
I run Goodyears. I know some don't care for them but my 03 Avalanche got 80,000 miles to each of 3 sets and my son is working on the 4th set. Its at 265,000 miles now. Keep them rotated every 6 to 8 thousand and they wear out even. I was glad to see my 13 Avalanche came with the Goodyears too.

#25 ·
My dads 1500 and our work van(2500) have cooper at3's and they both seem to be holding up very well. The at3's on my dads are noisier for some reason. Our work van has about 35k on them, maybe could see them lasting 40-45k.

I have a diesel and can't keep tires on it more then 20-25k and have read a lot of great reviews on cumminsforum about Toyo open country at2's lasting 40-50K so I put a set on my truck. So far (10K miles) they are holding up very well. Great driving in the rain, look aggressive for an all terrain. I can't noticed any noise but my engine kind of over powers all other noises. I was also pleased how they performed in the little bit of snow we got this past winter.

#26 ·
i have had AT3s on my Ranger for over a year now...

ive put em through the paces...at home and in Michigan which offers some different driving...lots of gravel roads..lots of packed dirt/sand roads..and lots of LOOSE sand roads...not to mention winter time up here...they drive on snow packed roads...i was terrified knowing snow is bad at home...here in Michigan and the AT3s i drove in 2wd all of my trips...it really wasnt much different than driving here in the summer...took turns a little slower but not much...

i had goodyear wranglers before these and didnt like them...i got 40k out of them..but the grip was poor IMO..i was always all over the place and in 4wd where i rarely need 4wd now...

i have about 20k miles on the AT3s now and will easily get another 20k out of them...i rotate usually twice a year..late summer and early spring...

they are a little noisy but i will live with a little road noise for the traction they provide..

i do a lot of highway travel from PA to MI...and to coon hunting competitions etc..havent found an issue with the tire yet...

should note that there is often a load in the bed...sometimes just a dog box and dog...most of the fall/winter its a box full of trapping gear, plus the dog box..trapping gear is a couple hundred pounds..

when driving back and forth to MI and PA i have the truck loaded to the gills twice a year with everything i need to live etc..

winter time i dont put sand etc in the truck as i have the trapping box..

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.