The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see it thrown around on here all the time and was wondering what your version of "run and gun" is? Is it walking/biking trails or roads trying to strike up a bird, or driving around in your truck trying to find one? Or something else?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,843 Posts
What it means to me is "not shooting a gobbler." My preference by far is to sit tight and be PATIENT. I have been far more successful that way. Only way I "run and gun" is if I do not have birds located, which is rare.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
i mostly hunt vast expanses of public land. birds are there, but they can be anywhere in a large piece of land. i often run and gun, especially late morning. to me it means putting about 6-8 miles on my boots, and trying to elicit a gobble every couple hundred yards. if i strike one, i quickly survey the lay of the land and make a setup. once set up, i am willing to be patient and wait 'em out. but my version of run and gun involves LONG LONG walks. i don't do truck driving to locate a bird.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
25 years ago , run and gun was walking ridgetops of Tioga county calling down every hollow off the top and walking till you strike a bird . Then hopefully set up and kill him! Now after 25 years of hunting gobblers , I've learned the art of patience and sitting tight and calling soft and have been fortunate to harvest some older more mature Birds.Run and Gun now for me is "Sit and Wait "
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
steelerhead95 said:
i mostly hunt vast expanses of public land. birds are there, but they can be anywhere in a large piece of land. i often run and gun, especially late morning. to me it means putting about 6-8 miles on my boots, and trying to elicit a gobble every couple hundred yards. if i strike one, i quickly survey the lay of the land and make a setup. once set up, i am willing to be patient and wait 'em out. but my version of run and gun involves LONG LONG walks. i don't do truck driving to locate a bird.
+1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,126 Posts
Skinner,I do the same thing...I have backtracked on the same logging road after coming through earlier and found turkeys standing on the road looking for the source of the calling...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,822 Posts
Skinner said:
steelerhead95 said:
i mostly hunt vast expanses of public land. birds are there, but they can be anywhere in a large piece of land. i often run and gun, especially late morning. to me it means putting about 6-8 miles on my boots, and trying to elicit a gobble every couple hundred yards. if i strike one, i quickly survey the lay of the land and make a setup. once set up, i am willing to be patient and wait 'em out. but my version of run and gun involves LONG LONG walks. i don't do truck driving to locate a bird.
+1
+2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Here's another thing to consider and something other guys have mentioned. When you're on public land you gotta go find the birds because sitting too long might bring them to another hunter's gun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,362 Posts
running and gunning to me means..i'll get up and move only to hear one sound off where i was earlier. I have changed my tactics somewhat. I try to pattern birds before season. Then i get in there during the season and hang tight. Just because they don't gobble don't mean they are not there. I will eventually get him...Only time i run and gun anymore is when i'm hunting an area i haven't scouted.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,979 Posts
Driving around in your truck trying to find a gobbler is not legal!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John S said:
Driving around in your truck trying to find a gobbler is not legal!
Since when was driving, parking, jumping out, calling not legal? If nothing answers move on to the next spot. I'll have to read my digest again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,115 Posts
WildTigerTrout said:
Skinner said:
steelerhead95 said:
i mostly hunt vast expanses of public land. birds are there, but they can be anywhere in a large piece of land. i often run and gun, especially late morning. to me it means putting about 6-8 miles on my boots, and trying to elicit a gobble every couple hundred yards. if i strike one, i quickly survey the lay of the land and make a setup. once set up, i am willing to be patient and wait 'em out. but my version of run and gun involves LONG LONG walks. i don't do truck driving to locate a bird.
+1
+2
+3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,843 Posts
bigbear said:
John S said:
Driving around in your truck trying to find a gobbler is not legal!
Since when was driving, parking, jumping out, calling not legal? If nothing answers move on to the next spot. I'll have to read my digest again.
So you're telling me that if I drive my truck on a abck road, stop and get out and hear a gobbler say 600 yards away. I walk 500 yards out through the woods and set up on that gobbler, call him in and kill him, then I broke the law by locating through the use of my truck???

I say good luck trying to prosecute anyone on that one.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,806 Posts
steelerhead95 said:
i mostly hunt vast expanses of public land. birds are there, but they can be anywhere in a large piece of land. i often run and gun, especially late morning. to me it means putting about 6-8 miles on my boots, and trying to elicit a gobble every couple hundred yards. if i strike one, i quickly survey the lay of the land and make a setup. once set up, i am willing to be patient and wait 'em out. but my version of run and gun involves LONG LONG walks. i don't do truck driving to locate a bird.
10-4
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,101 Posts
Runs&Gun means a few things...you have a area and you've gotten lazy and did'nt scout it..so your calling and moving till you get an answer..Second you've scouted an area but the birds are not gobbling and it's mid morning and you've hav'nt heard a peep...so you covering as much ground as you can to try and get an answer...either way it works.cause i've done them both and killed many birds useing the RUN&Gun..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,708 Posts
The majority of my hunting is run and gun. Lots of miles on my and others boots. I like to find hot birds and work em'. It makes for fast action and thats what I enjoy about turkey hunting. Last year I had 27 different longbeards within range throughout the season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,213 Posts
<span style="font-style: italic">Since when was driving, parking, jumping out, calling not legal? If nothing answers move on to the next spot. </span>

I would also like to hear the thought behind this.

Is there a distance away from the truck that I need to be to start calling?

What if I start hunting a spot and right after leaving the truck, I get a phone call and have to leave, or change my mind to go hunt somewhere else...did I break the law?

Not trying to be a jerk, but I live in an area where the GW has been known to have a slightly different read on the game laws than most of the people I know.....please explain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,667 Posts
fall gobbler said:
WildTigerTrout said:
Skinner said:
steelerhead95 said:
i mostly hunt vast expanses of public land. birds are there, but they can be anywhere in a large piece of land. i often run and gun, especially late morning. to me it means putting about 6-8 miles on my boots, and trying to elicit a gobble every couple hundred yards. if i strike one, i quickly survey the lay of the land and make a setup. once set up, i am willing to be patient and wait 'em out. but my version of run and gun involves LONG LONG walks. i don't do truck driving to locate a bird.
+1
+2
+3
+4
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,948 Posts
kudu58 said:
bigbear said:
John S said:
Driving around in your truck trying to find a gobbler is not legal!
Since when was driving, parking, jumping out, calling not legal? If nothing answers move on to the next spot. I'll have to read my digest again.
So you're telling me that if I drive my truck on a abck road, stop and get out and hear a gobbler say 600 yards away. I walk 500 yards out through the woods and set up on that gobbler, call him in and kill him, then I broke the law by locating through the use of my truck???

I say good luck trying to prosecute anyone on that one.

I'll take a shot at this one since i started a thread on this a year or two ago.
You are driving in a truck, you see a gobbler in a field and you stop up the road and get out and hunt him. Not legal.

You drive to a spot, get out and call and get a gobble in return. Legal to hunt that bird. Hopefully I got it right this time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,619 Posts
Run and gun simply means to me, moving and calling when things don't come together off the roost and roosted bird is henned up or does not want to play. Move and gun is a better discription. Cover some ground and call often. Great action can be rite up the hollow a piece.

So if a hunter spots a gobbler from the truck it is off limits period? Say he pulls into the property he hunts and they are in the field. Can't hunt those birds??
May have to call the owner to clear the field before he arrives to hunt.?
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top