The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I guess there's a rabbit virus out west. But in the last week and a half, we've found 3 dead rabbits. Two were full-grown adults. One was likely and early, this year's rabbit............probably 1/3 to 1/2 grown. All of them just laying dead. All of them completely intact and healthy looking..........except dead. Two of them were within 75-80 yards of one another. the other maybe 200 yards away.

Any ideas ??

·
Registered
525 Posts
That virus could be here and we just don't know it yet. Or it could be Tuleremia. Those rabbits should be tested. A few years ago, they were finding dead rabbits on the UBGF running grounds during the AKC SPO Nationals. Kentucky health department made them close the grounds, all vegetation had to be burned and other measures taken to rectify the problem. Check first to make sure they arn't ringed with ticks. If not, then I would contact health officials.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The virus out west supposedly causes the rabbits to bleed internally and they usually have blood around the mouth/nose when found dead. I'm seeing good numbers of young rabbits around the house. I thought it was cool that a rabbit successfully raised 6 young that were born in a plastic flower planter inside the pool fence at our house. The funny part is its about 6 yards from my beagle's kennel!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Strut10, have you contacted anyone yet? Tuleremia is no joke (if this is what it is). I had sent a dog down to the AKC nationals in Kentucky a couple years ago (see my post above), and was contacted by the Kentucky Health Dept to watch my Beagle for symtoms. Tuleremia can wipe out a rabbit population. I seen on facebook where a beagler in Maine was treated for this also. So,apparently, humans can get it as well. Please post on here if you do contact the proper authorities (PGC or Pa. health Dept) and what their findings are.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Rabbit hemorrhagic disease (RHDV2) confirmed in Arizona, but it is not harmful to humans. It is a viral disease that causes sudden death in rabbits and can be spread through contact with infected rabbits, their meat or their fur, or materials coming in contact with them.

If any of you find any dead rabbits with no noticeable injuries I would suggest you contact your game department.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Strut10, have you contacted anyone yet? Tuleremia is no joke (if this is what it is). I had sent a dog down to the AKC nationals in Kentucky a couple years ago (see my post above), and was contacted by the Kentucky Health Dept to watch my Beagle for symtoms. Tuleremia can wipe out a rabbit population. I seen on facebook where a beagler in Maine was treated for this also. So,apparently, humans can get it as well. Please post on here if you do contact the proper authorities (PGC or Pa. health Dept) and what their findings are.
I have not.

The 3 rabbits were disposed of by burning............mostly so my kids' Rotties wouldn't be dragging them on to my front porch. If any more spotless, but dead rabbits show up, I'll give the warden a call.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I've seen several rabbits, adults and young, within the last week or so and they all appeared healthy. These have all been seen on my late afternoon walking trails. They all have run like the dickens, that's why I assume they're healthy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts