The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats it worth? contender 35rem ,14 inch barrel, stainless, 4x Leupold,muzzle tamer.Thinking about trading it to get my kids some guns.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Id agree. Frames, brls and mounts retain their value to a degree while used scopes are just along for the ride.

$200 for the frame
$150-175 for the brl
$75-100 for the scope and mounts

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
For a trade at a gun shop you will only get between 60-70 percent of the value depending on the shop, and what you are buying.

Those prices given are if you were to sell it outright.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
jon8777 said:
Id agree. Frames, brls and mounts retain their value to a degree while used scopes are just along for the ride.

$200 for the frame
$150-175 for the brl
$75-100 for the scope and mounts
Good numbers that he gave you here.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
For a trade at a gun shop you will only get between 60-70 percent of the value depending on the shop, and what you are buying.

Those prices given are if you were to sell it outright.
Buddy traded a Single Six in last week, $175 is what the gun shop gave him. It probably had under 200 rounds thru the gun.

Long story short I made him and offer and told him to call me and I'd match the gun shops offer. The gun store has it for sale at $300.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
This is what you need to do to your buddy

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
rule of thumb when you trade a gun in.. the nick pick it to heck and back then give you 25-35% less then book value... go two ratings up in the book then add 30-40% so basicly sell it for 60-80% more then what you sold it too them for.. is a good rackit thats for sure its a win win for the store...

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
You can't possibly go into a gun shop and expect to get full value on either a sale or a trade. A gun shop is in the business of making money. They have occupancy cost, insurance and upkeep. And they don't work 12 hours a day just for fun.

Dave

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
im not sayen it is,, heck most of them places make better on used guns then new guns all im sayen is most people will get closer to a good amount for selling it out right then going to a gun store to sell it to them

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I'd put it out on here in the classifieds and try to sell it that way before trading. I used to buy and sell alot at gun shows years ago and found it uncanny how all those guys would be within $5 for anything I was trying to sell or trade until I paid attention. Basically most of my stuff was in 95% or better condition and they would look in their wholesale pricelist to see what it cost them new to buy and they would offer 75-80% of that tops figuring if they could get their wholesale number plus a little it would be good for them. One place I dealt with quite a bit over the years would be pretty honest but never offered as much as others for a trade as they tried to move things quickly. Wasn't the best to trade something in to but was a great place to find a good used value.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
You could always break it up and sell it off in pieces, especially if you are looking for absolute top dollar. That is what I did with my handgun stuff.

You will get more for the Leupold scope if you sell it seperately somewhere like E-bay than you will get with it attached on a trade. Probably the same for the barrel. The frame has to go through an FFL

I sold at least 2 barrels on gunbroker that were used but in good shape for around $160 to $170. A bushnell trophy handgun scope went on e-bay and took well over $130.

I would think a frame on gunbroker would be in the 200-250 range. SO.. say 170 for the barrel, 150 for the scope, 225 for the frame - $545

·
Registered
974 Posts
Big jer, I have the same gun. 35 rem contender 14 inch super with the muzzle break. I suggest you just keep it and turn it into a carbin for your kids. I took an encore thumb hole stock and put it on mine and stuck a 3x9 leopold scope on it and my 7 year old son loves it. I also use it for bear and deer. 100 bucks from cabelas for the stock and a rifle scope and you have a sweat little cannon. I will get pics up of mine so you can see it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank for all the comments, been thinking about trading or making a carbine for a couple of years,I have an Encore 209/50 haven't used s regular rifle since.I didn't think an encore stock would fit??I will have to check that out Bearslayer..

·
Registered
974 Posts
The only thing you must do is take a dremal tool and grind the inside if the stock down alittle where it fits to the frame. Very simple to do. This alows for you to brake the barrel open to insert the shell. Bud I'm telling you it makes an awsome shooting little mountain gun and with the muzzle brake you don't even know your shooting a 35 rem. I'm working on getting a pic up as we speak.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
If you turn that into a carbine make sure you have a barrel length of at least 16" any shorter and you will need to SBR it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts