The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<u>Whats Burning??</u>

What is it that draws us to the woods and water? What fans the inner flame that burns in us all? No matter how urbanized we become, that inner desire still resides somewhere in every one of us. Some are drawn to the outdoors as a social function, joining friends and family in the timeless tradition. However I’d like to believe that most of us who frequent this site have a deeper spark. It has nothing to do with being manly or macho, but what exactly is it that draws us?

Whats better than sitting next to a crackling campfire, pondering our place in Gods grand scheme. Staring skyward as our ancestors did, wishing upon the same stars. Taking a summertime stroll through he hills, crossing the next ridge top just to see what lies beyond. Eying a young fawn on wobbly legs, nervously clinging to mom, and wondering whether he is the one who might carry the big fellas genes. I don’t have the answers but I know I’ll continue to do the same when the spirit beckons!

What drives some of us to create food plots and cut browse for the same game we so eagerly seek come Fall? To spend hard earned dollars on feed, minerals and supplements to ensure a healthy herd? To plant countless thousands of seedlings in hopes of creating a better habitat for the game we pursue? What is inside of us that drives the sense of stewardship we exude?

Many of us live for the feeling of solitude we gain on that far-off mountaintop, gazing aimlessly at Mother Natures vast creation. What is it that fuels these primitive feelings that so often surface? The gobbling of a love-struck tom, the bugle of a magnificent elk or the glorious sunsets. How privileged are we to observe these daily occurrences time and time again?

Like many of you I’d rather hunt than eat , sleep, or most anything else for the matter. However it gets less and less about the kill and much more about the thrill. Summer is my time of reflection of past seasons and excited anticipation of upcoming ones. Its one thing to ride along dusty roads and view the woodland wonders but entirely different to get out there and be a part of it. Ultimately it makes us much more aware of something much greater than ourselves!!

BONZ
6-11-09

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
AMEN BONZ!!!

...sometimes I think the worse thing man did was invent something called "indoors"...too many now live their life fat, happy,lazy and easy by the standards of surviving in nature and they loose touch with the fact that we are just part of that cycle out there (not many hunters are that way) and although we found a so called "better way" to live, the critters we share this place with and harvest don't. When we are turning up the thermostat on that cold February night, they are hunkering down lving off what they could find. Seems many think the only way to act as man is to make it all indoors....you know cover it up make it conmfortable FOR US.

I can't wait to be at my "development" tomorrow....I think I'll do some overtime in fact, got alot of new tenants coming the next couple months ya know.

Glad there are folks like you and I (and many on here) left to know that indoors is not where true life is lived ...
See you out there, ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Bonz great insight. If you evre put all these into book form let me know I want to place an order.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Great post Bonz! I often think about all the little moments
we outdoorsmen enjoy that only we can understand why they
are so special. Someday I'll make a post about them.

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Great insight Bonz.... I enjoyed reading that very much!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Clay, great post. The outdoors in a wonderful place to bring people together. Not only hunting activities but camping, fishing, cycling, picnics, or just a hike in the woods. The important thing we as sportsmen needed to do is to always set the example. For instance whenever we go out we always have garbage bags. If we camp we clean everything, even on hikes we carry a garbage bag to pick up trash on the way back in.

Years ago we hunted deer just off a small development that virtually surrounded a large area of game lands. There were tons of deer in the area but few residents hunted. Everyone was feeding deer so their kids and grand kids could see them. We literally had this place almost to our selves. When we shot deer and drug them out to the trucks I always had the hunters cover up the bloody drag marks leading out to the road. We hang all deer behind the cabin or in the garage to keep them out of sight. What might be interesting to a hunter can be very offensive to a none hunting mother when one of her children ask about all the blood in the snow along the road.

It is the little things we do the helps our sport and enhances our enjoyment of the outdoors.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Hey BONZ did you major in Philosophy. That is one profound writing. You moved me.

I cannot explain what draws me to the wilds but ever since I took my first breath in life my Dad kept us in touch with nature. Nothung better than an early morning at camp just to see nature unihibited by urban. We used to go camping along the Allegheny River at the Buckalones as a kid that was the good old days. Reading your post I think why am I sitting here typing and not at my camp sitting there. But I am consuming some great homemade wine, oh well glass is empty.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to the School of Life, and learned the "hard way"

its the same feelings in all of us that bring us to sites like HPA daily to get our "fix"! Its kinda funny how as you get older you appreciate the small stuff a lot more.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Ok this is totally unrelated to the subject of the thread and I don't want to take away from it but every time I see the title when I'm browsing the forums the name Jim Rome comes to mind.
Sorry it's just been going through my head for days. I feel better now.
As you were.....

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
I think the outdoors is the memories past and the future opportunities that draw us back each time.....

It's walking past that certain trail where the bear ran out in front of you. Everytime you pass, it brings you back to that time and that feeling.

It's those trail camera pics you check, then picture yourself in full draw or safety off as that big brute comes walking in, or fanned out, etc.......

It's that future idea of sitting in that stand with my boy in years to come....

It's that past of sitting with my old man when I was a boy....

It's that future of having both my old man and my son in camp and having the best of both worlds.......

That's what's burning......

Great post bonz.

·
Super Moderator
29,487 Posts
Bonz, as usual...great post

We just returned from a week's vacation in the Alps, and as is normal with me, the sight of mountains gets a fire burning in me that only being IN the mountains can put out.
We did some hiking and wandering, and with each trail we took, the desire to see what's around the next bend or over the next hill kept taking over. But with a 5 year old, 2 year old, and 5 month old, that desire could only go so far. My wife could see me chomping at the bit, so she suggested two mornings that I get out on my own. Which of course I did, but also gave her some time to bike some trails alone to quench her thirst to be part of those mountains.
After a hectic and stressfull last year or so for us, the mountains were what we both needed. And they didn't fail in drawing us closer as a family either. One day as we were all walking, my wife said something that has always been a part of me, she said that being in the mountains gives her a feeling of where she belongs. I just took her hand and said; Welcome to my world dear, because wherever we live, we will be in the mountains!!

I'll post some photos from our trip in a different thread, probably tomorrow.

Again Bonz, great post

Just want to add that the desire to be part of the mountains burns in me in all mountains, big, small, or just rolling hills.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts