The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never hunted late season archery so I was hoping you guys on here could help me out. I'm laid off and still have a doe tag to fill. with the temps being so cold at night what times are better to hunt? Early morning, mid day or afternoons.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
I have been out 3 times so far and all the deer I have been seeing have been after 4:30. When I went out yesterday though there were alot of tracks that look like they were made during mid day.
This is a great question. Looking forward to reading the replies.

·
Registered
18,720 Posts
My experience has been that the deer bed early in the morning when the temps are coldest. Get up and feed around the bedding area by late morning into early afternoon, then make the trek to preferred food in the late afternoon.

Deer are on their feet at mid day but don't cover alot of ground. Best bet at mid day is to hunt bedding areas as they will be up and browsing. I like to set up on preferred food by 2:30 and hunt till dark as I believe late afternoon sees the greatest movement. The colder the better.

I shot a big doe last night at 4:45 as a group of seven entered a cut crop field.

·
Registered
764 Posts
From my experiences dpms has it right. I have never had any luck at first light if the temps are really cold. But the deer seem to get up and moving to browse sometime before noon close to their bedding areas then they head to their destination food in the early afternoon. If you have a known afternoon food source I would set up on a trail leading to it or right on it in the afternoon.

·
Super Moderator
12,819 Posts
Deer undisturbed this time of the year will often bed near low traffic feeding areas and come out mid day/afternoon and/or early evening to feed. Often it is difficult to get to these areas without alerting the deer.

Watching from a distance and stalking is a possibility. Move slow, behind cover, use the wind. They are usually very alert.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I would only add that this time of year deer like their comfort.
Southern and western facing slopes offer warmth from the sun and if windy check our stands of pines and cedars as these offer shelter from the wind.
If we are fortunate to get another snow storm, hunt as much as you can precceding the storm then get right back out as soon as the storm subsides.

Good luck,

·
Registered
246 Posts
agree with most comments have my best luck from 230 til dark and take a stand near a preferred food my son got a doe last nite at 350 when it was heading to a cut corn field

·
Registered
362 Posts
It seems to me thru the years 4:30PM on has been the best. Mornings haven't been good for me, but I will still be out tomorrow morning. If you can be choosey, go with late evening. Unlike some of the other guys I never had mid- day luck.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
dpms said:
My experience has been that the deer bed early in the morning when the temps are coldest. Get up and feed around the bedding area by late morning into early afternoon, then make the trek to preferred food in the late afternoon.

Deer are on their feet at mid day but don't cover alot of ground. Best bet at mid day is to hunt bedding areas as they will be up and browsing. I like to set up on preferred food by 2:30 and hunt till dark as I believe late afternoon sees the greatest movement. The colder the better.

I shot a big doe last night at 4:45 as a group of seven entered a cut crop field.

You say colder the better? But say early morning is the coldest? Just confused me.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Deer seem to have calmed down. Got within 30 yards a few times today. Did not start until 10:30.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
If you have any fields, then take an evening and glass them. Find out where the deer are coming out at. Then setup on the edge, downwind, around 3:30.

Or, hunt directly in the bedding area. In my opinion, the deer will bed early morning and stay in that area until almost dark. Then, work their way towards the fields.

Another option would be to put on a very slow drive with a friend or two.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts