The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently saw a deer hunting show that talked about plantings. One guy suggested planting “Sawtooth Oaks”. He said they grow like crazzzzzzy! Does anyone know about this species of tree. I look on line and they will grow in Pa. I’m in an area that has oaks but I thought these trees may drop earlier or later. Any idea how long until you get acorns?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Can get them from the Pennsylvania Game Commission - Howard Nursery Program.

Description
Sawtooth Oak
Quercus acutissima
DESCRIPTION:
A nonnative oak reaching up to 60 feet (35 to 40 feet on poor or disturbed sites). Low widespreading branches. Leaves are 4 to 8 inches long with pointed serrations. Very adaptable but prefers open, acidic, well-drained soils. Does well on disturbed land. Will not tolerate shading and close competition. Produces 1-inch acorns that are very low in tannins and relished by wildlife in the fall.
SEEDLING SIZE:
Seedlings are 1 year old, 10 to 22 inches.

I bought a few last year along with some other oaks from the Pennsylvania Game Commission - Howard Nursery Program. They were tall and leafy when I got them and planted them. They seem to grow alright. I did not see that they grew much taller. I heard they were a good oak tree. I sort of feel that is isn't a long time until they produce. They are suppose to be fast growning and can grow like a foot a year. Maybe somebody else knows a little more.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
I think the growth speed is really going to depend on the factors at the planting location.

They do grow faster than say white oak and also produce acrons earlier in their life. But downside is no timber value.

i planted several dozen a couple years in a row, but not in locations where I can find one to check on. 20 years from now maybe I'll be hunting and say "hey that is a sawtooth I planted"

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I have planted them on my property in Bradford County,the trees grow great,but after 15 years still no acorns!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Fort AP Hill in Virginia has a bunch of these and they produce more acorns than I have ever seen and I spent 18 years doing environmental studies around the Mid-Atlantic. they do seem to grow good, down there at least and the mast crop is incredible. Soil on AP Hill is a little more 'sandy' and acidic but depending on where you are in PA you might find very similar conditions.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FLDBRED said:
I have planted them on my property in Bradford County,the trees grow great,but after 15 years still no acorns!
15 YEARS?! I'll be nearing retirement. I do get a nice acorn dropping now and was just looking for something in addition to it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
We planted some and had them producing in about 5 years. Once you get to about 8 years they really start to dump the acorns. Deer love them, they are best planted where they get direct sunlight.

·
Registered
695 Posts
We planted some on my fathers farm in lebanon county, (northern part shale soil not limestone) 20 years ago they are 20 to 30 ft tall and put down a good crop of acorns almost every year. They started to produce in about there sixth year. I think it depends if there is a late frost at the wrong time if they produce or not.
We also planted some on my uncle's property in northern Centre co.(2G) about 10 years ago they are 6 to 10 ft. tall havent seen an acorn yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sawtooth oak, is one of the best wildlife trees you can plant. They will grow rapidly, and start to produce in 5-6 years. They will produce a lot of acorns. They are very nutritious, and deer, turkeys, squirrels, etc. love them. I would definitely recommend planting them.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I have about 20 seedlings already started that I started this past fall/winter, and about 200 more seeds I'm going to germinate this spring and plant as well. As previously said, they are some of the best trees for wildlife that rely on mast crops. In optimal conditions, they will produce seed as soon as 5 years.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I always thought that red oak was nick named saw tooth because of their leaves.
White oak has the rounded lobes on the leaves.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
puppyhunter61 said:
I always thought that red oak was nick named saw tooth because of their leaves.
White oak has the rounded lobes on the leaves.
Nope. sorry, two entirely different species. red oak Quercus rubra and sawtooth oak, Quercus acutissima. Sawtooth is introduced species, red oak is native.
http://www.sawtoothoak.com/

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
harleynit said:
Anyone have a suggestion where I can get soem? Howard is sold out.

Thanks
Look at the above thread. I posted a webpage where you may be able to order some.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
harleynit said:
Anyone have a suggestion where I can get soem? Howard is sold out.

Thanks
Are you looking for seedlings? or acorns that are ready to be planted? I have a bunch of acorns i've had in the refridgerator all winter so far which I doubt I'll need them all. ( a couple hundred I have) Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

I planted a few (18) this past fall in pots, andhave them growing indoors. 100% of them are growing biggest one is pushin 12" so far.. Can't wait to get them in the ground and let em' loose'!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts