The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most you would be willing to pay per year to be part owner of hunting land with good to very good deer population? Let's say it was a couple hundred acres (3 to 4 total owners) of grown over farm with food plots etc to keep the deer on the property. Also there would be a large sanctuary area with the owners not hunting that designated area at all. Remember you are a part owner not a lease.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deer and spring turkey maybe varmints after deer season. No small game, squirrel or other fall hunting that may bump the deer off the place.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
There are many factors that would need considered. Who and what relationship are the other owners. How will activities be governed. Is there a building. Are there any opportunities to generate funds from the land. Gas wells, farming etc. Partnerships in land can become ugly. Owning land to me means much more than deer hunting.

My answer to the question is I would not join others. I would save and own my own land.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Loaded question.

1. It must not be in Pa. since this place would get pounded with trespassers.

2. Sundays must be included.

3. The other owners must agree on how it is to be maintained and hunted.

4. This would never happen in Pa.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Taxes alone are just around $10.00 to $35.00 an acre per year.

Income from property timber? Oil/gas leases.

Allow people to cut fire, charge per load. Or add it to lease agreement as part of rent, and sale firewood. This is important management, leave healthy straighter tree for timber plus open the woods up for secondary growth and lower growth.

I would allow smal game as I like to do it best.
You will need areas that are off limits to have a safe hide for animals at least 4 acres each. Only allow hunting after you have your bucks. These should be in a natural area that is protected, look for natural beding area and cut trees to thin and let regrow.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Cost per acre would be high for farm ground. Guessing only without mineral rights from 1500.00 to 3500.00 maybe higher all in location. Have to be in right place at right time.

Neighbors can make or break,something this this. Posted ground kills the hunting around us. Every year we lose more then is opened up. Getting to point of not many more drives for deer. Days of our group seeing 50 - 60 deer are gone. Gone are drives of seeing 15 to 20 deer in the drive. All from posted ground and poaching deer.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's my point for the post. Back in the "old days" lots of guys would join up and buy a hunting camp as partners. It might still be common. The only problem is most of this fell apart when the state thinned the deer herd. many SGL were plenty good enough and alot of deer were harvested.

Well, I want to make sure my kids and their kids have somewhere safe to hunt. This is why I am considering joining up with a few like minded individuals I know. Sure farm land could be a little expensive, but some of the more grown over and abandoned properties are much better habitat and support more deer. I would also think that keeping the property farm assessed taxes would be dirt cheap, so other than food for the deer it would be planted sparingly. Unfortunately for others the ground would be posted. After all why bust my tail so others can reap the reward?

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Tide, Like some others have said there are alot of factors involved in determining the price. If it was me I would prefer to get my own, as owning with others can lead to problems. The right group though and it could work at well.

I am currently looking, but am looking at Ohio as I like the expanded seasons and Sunday Hunting.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Tidewaterguide said:
Here's my point for the post. Back in the "old days" lots of guys would join up and buy a hunting camp as partners. It might still be common. The only problem is most of this fell apart when the state thinned the deer herd. many SGL were plenty good enough and alot of deer were harvested.

Well, I want to make sure my kids and their kids have somewhere safe to hunt. This is why I am considering joining up with a few like minded individuals I know. Sure farm land could be a little expensive, but some of the more grown over and abandoned properties are much better habitat and support more deer. I would also think that keeping the property farm assessed taxes would be dirt cheap, so other than food for the deer it would be planted sparingly. Unfortunately for others the ground would be posted. After all why bust my tail so others can reap the reward?

tide, be careful on that "Posting the property" thing, the guys on here do not feel as though even though you earned it, would under any circumstance be permited to do that. Even if guys you never met have been hunting there "for years" and still deserve it since, well they have been hunting there for years. And as a side note, they willalso tell you, you do not own the deer and should not keep a PA resource to yourself, and you are also an elitist. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most guys on here I've found have been pretty good guys. There is always a rotten apple in the bunch, but I'm pretty thick skinned and some of it is good natured. Thanks and good hunting

·
Registered
526 Posts
Plain and simple if you want to hunt it is called sweat equity. You want to hunt here is a list of things we need done. Here is where you can hunt. Labor or money no hunting.
Start planting over grown field and you'll need help clearing the ground, unplugging the equipment, burning brush, making brush piles, clear cutting/thinning list go on and on.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
If you are only talking about 200 acres + or - it is hard to leave santcuary? areas large enough that game could stay in. Hunting near the edges of these could still push out the game?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You might be right Joe, but I would rather have the center 100 acres as a sanctuary area and hunt my property lines (not shoot into neighbors property) and take my chances. After all, I or we would fire a total of 4 or 5 shots all year for a couple of bucks and a couple of does. I think with the right cover it would work well.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've seen deer hide on 1/4 acre. I seen allot of deer shot from house that the big buck thought he was safe close to the house.

Last personal friend I talk to that knew me that I would appreciate plus respect there wishes. Told of a large 3 year old 10 point hiding in there back yard. They were hoping to see him again the next year coming. The buck always came right at first light and left just as light was fading, that's how they get that large. Last one I hunted in that area very well did the same thing was like a ghost. Sad I found him over a hill poached , antlers off backstraps and steaks cut out and rest left to waste away. Last large deer I ever wasted time going after. I would guessed him to dress in 215 range largest deer I ever see tracks of, like a small cows tracks.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Tide I would pay whatever I could afford for a good property, and that's what I did even though my annuity took a hit, and the main reason was after 25 yrs on public land I had youngins coming up thru the ranks. I have created a monster though, My camp has a bunch of youths, that are used to seeing and killing good bucks, a luxury I did not have as a kid 30 years ago!

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I paid an awful lot every month for about 20 years to buy 100-some acres to call "my own"

Ha ha...................

Now I am paying $28.50/acre/year to keep the government from coming and taking it from me.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Same thing with me, it's more for the kids. Took some nice deer the last couple of years (thanks again for that tip) and now my 13 year old has joined us and wants to mow them down like dad. I've done quite a bit of looking in your area (town where your camp is) and a bit north. Just can't find "the property" yet.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts