The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me make up my mind I have a Remington model XCR elk foundation rifle in 300 RUM but I really like the looks of the new Remington XCR II's and was wondering if anyone traded in a gun on another model and got the same caliber? So I dont know if I should keep mine or trade it on a new XCR II in 300 RUM or keep what I have and get a XCR II in 338 win mag?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
if you can afford to get another gun then do it. you can never have too many guns, only too few. but if you can only have 1, then get what you really want to own and use, which sounds like the 338

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
SAVE your money!!! That elk won't know the difference between a .338 or .308 if you place the bullet in the correct place!! A good .308 bullet driven at those velocities will kill and elk in a blink of an eye so why spend the $1500.00 plus..save the money for another trip and kill two...........

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I have 2 338s and one 300 RUM. I think the 338 is a better big game hunter than the 300 RUM. I use the 300 RUM for target and some long range deer hunting (500 yds+).

Of course there is a lot of overlap in the 338 and the 300 RUM. If I was to be thinking of another big rifle I'd go larger, 416 Remington magnum. My 416 does kick with the 400 grainers, but it is in a different class than the 300 RUM or the 338 mag. I've killed lots of game with the 416 and never needed more than one shot to get the game on the ground immediately. I've never shot an elk with the 416, but its killed lots of stuff: ground hogs, moose, grizzly bear, cape buffalo, kudu, etc.....I'm sure if elk is your target it would do great. With the 350 grain slugs, my 416 shoots as flat as a '06.
Just my 2 cents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts