The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a hollow that was once used to raise pigs during the summer (a long time ago). There's nothing but multi-flora rose and other invasive shrubs and vines. The trees are sparse and struggle to grow, consisting of crooked cherry and locust. The bottom of the hollow has an underground spring which makes the bottom rather marshy.

We recently purchased some equipment that could easily clear this area. I was thinking about clearing the area this year, and planting something next year. I thought a wlidlife switchgrass would be neat, but this would require routine maintanance. Perhaps a blanket of white pines would make this area thick for deer. What would you do?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I know what you mean about the multi-flora. That's Why I was going to clear this year, then wait to plant next year. I will spray this fall to kill anything that sprouts. It will take care of some of them, but not all.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Put some kind of food plot in it.. Not sure as to how it'll work in the mushy part, but they'll grow faster then apple trees

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Stay out of it and treat it like a sanctuary.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like it to become a sanctuary. Right now the deer pass through it, but never stick around for long. Farm fields with good eats all around.

·
Registered
862 Posts
if you have farm fields all around. then you don't really need food. How big of a area is this were talking about??
if its a big area. i would leave some mult.rose. in there If there's a big group of them in an area. i would leave it. Then i would plant some Pine tree. different kinda. a mix..of tree.
i may add in like a turnip/winter wheat food plot. Just something for the deer for the winter time.
If you were going to do swithcgrass in this case, i would plant it in like 5+ acres, for like a bedding area.

hope that helps

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Area is probably 80 yards X 80 yards at the end of a hollow, but the hollow is approximately 1/2 mile long. The only thing I don't like about leaving multi-flora is that it doesn't provide cover in the winter. Once the leaves clear, the hollow is rather exposed.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I'll get grilled by purists
, but I don't mind the Multiflora, or Autumn Olive. I understand they are invasives, but they do have benefit, and I don't feel like spending the rest of my life keeping up with them. Besides in 500 years, everyone will believe them to be native anyhow.

I'd intersperse pine an crabapple all through that hollow area.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I'd probably mow strips in that multiflora and clear those strips for food plot, pine plantings, etc.

You want diversity, not a monoculture of multiflora.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
You say the deer pass through it.
Add some pines and keep it a sanctuary. The deer won't pass through it then.
Are you sure it's multi-flora rose? Or is it Autumn Olive?
My largest sanctuary is mostly pines and autumn olive. Another section is switchgrass.
Like I said earlier, plant some pines in there and stay out of it. You'll have more deer than you can believe. There is plenty of food surrounding it.
KEY... stay out of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts