The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 50 and have only had used muzzleloaders that I have bought and fixed, or unstuck balls and refinished etc.
Some I have given away, mostly to kids who wanted to get into hunting, in fact I have a PA pellet I am going to give to an 18 yr old who wants to get into hunting.
Anyway, I have never had a "New" flintlock.
I was not real happy with the Pa pellet, and I think I just want to go back to a traditional blackpowder rifle.
The question, what is the best quality and most accurate blackpowder gun out there, if money were no object "what would you buy" Thanks in advance for your opinion.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I would get a custom gun built. 54 cal flint with a large Siler lock, Davis set triggers and a really nice piece of curly maple. Allen Martin builds a "fine" rifle!

·
Registered
410 Posts
sparkchaser said:
I would get a custom gun built. 54 cal flint with a large Siler lock, Davis set triggers and a really nice piece of curly maple. Allen Martin builds a "fine" rifle!
Check out Track of the Wolf to get an idea of what a real flintlock is. Or you can go to Dixon's and see what they have hanging around.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
If money were no object id have a custom built no queation about that...the price of a new TV Hawken is pushing or over a bare bones custom...

My TC serves me well...but next one will be custom...

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #000000"> If you have the money---Brad Emig and Allen Martin are great builders bhambers (ut Id go with Don Yerks in Williamsport PA. He made mine and I love the quality. Others here will chime in Im sure. My gun is 60 inches long. The barrel is a 44 inch 54 cal swamped Rice competition grade. It has a delux siler lock made by Jim Chambers and curley maple stock with couple silver inlays. Ill post a pic. If you cant afford a customgun the the way to go would be a Lyman Great Plains in a 54 cal. Chuck at Dixons Muzzleloader is a rep for the company ---a plus to our area. </span></span>

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Bunkys flinter is very nice indeed only bad thing with it is he needs the deer to be out a ways otherwise they can stand under his barrel and be safe.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Here is what happens when you simply buy a custom gun---Its the terrible blackpowder disease..LOL

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i would go with a custom made by Jeff Tebay from harrisville i see you are from butler area if you want to see his work we are shooting sunday at 1pm at moraine sportsman clud also called samples 2nd i would get a lyman great plains 50

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Then you start buying more FUN stuff!! All American made

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
started with cva's, then t/c, and then a couple custom rifles. built a north west trade gun in 20ga/62 cal about 22+ years ago and probably will never own another rifle. by far my favorite gun of all time. it has served me well from small game, ducks and geese, turkey and deer and hopefully an elk and a moose someday. dixie makes a good quality kit or you could have one built.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Both Brad Emig and Jim Chambers also sell "kits", you could build your own. It is addicting tho.....lol

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
Money no object? I'd track down a Wallace Gusler rifle made at the shop at Williamsburg. Last I heard they are running about $15k. Or buy an original Berks County gun in shooter shape.

Seriously, any of the builders listed.

Dixon's muzzleloaders has several custom and semi custom guns in stock at any one time. Long but worthwhile trip for you.

Lyman makes the best production rifle going right now. I prefer the Great Plains rifle of their offerings. Fits me better than anything TC ever made. More traditonal too.

There are guns made for show and guns made for use. At the Lncaster county Longrifles Rondy 8 years ago a buildeer had a beautiful long rifle with premium curly stock, and far too many silver inlays and too much engraving to be a hunting gun. Asking price was $8,500.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
custom, production just isn't the same.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
The Artisan Show is being held in Lewisburg PA on Feb 1 & 2 at the Counrty Cupboard in the Best Western Inn. Great place to see PA's best custom gunmakers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts