The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We see posts on here where some say hunting right now is great and we see posts where some say there are no deer left.

What would make you happy when it comes to hunting deer? Is it all about seeing deer? Is it all about the kill? Or is it something else?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Seeing and Killing deer makes me happy. I've got no complaints where I hunt, but I feel for guys that arn't seeing deer. I'm not a stand hunter, so I have to take the hunt to the deer. It works for me.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
What would make me happy is to see my father get a big ole north woods buck... Soon!

And if it's not to greedy... I hope my kids want to hunt when they get older and they are successful... whatever success is to them.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Right now I am pretty darn happy. I have had good success getting a buck during archery over the last 10 years, and both of my young sons have 2 bucks each and a couple doe under their belt. Like Bushmaster said though, hope the guys who are not seeing deer see their luck change sooner rather then later. We are a passionate deer hunting state and I would hate to see that part of it end!

·
Banned
979 Posts
1 set of AR's for the entire state, no spikes or subpar bucks to be taken by anyone even seniors & youth hunters as these are our shooters in the future, a true harvest count from year to year instead of a guestimate as they have been doing for years, one solution would be to implement check stations or ear a tag, to get another doe tag you gotta harvest and report it to be able to attain another doe tag...I'm sure there are more I can think of just gimme time...

·
Registered
823 Posts
This year, I would be very happy to get a doe. Only saw a couple this year - none close enough for a shot - and the buck in my freezer is almost gone.

Had a ton of deer come by my stand this year, but they all had antlers!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm not trying to open a can of worms here, but...

1. Archery season extended until the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
2. Take away inline doe season.
3. Go back to the old 3 day doe season.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Longer doe season. Very few killed this year. Plenty left after the season, too many.
Or, I could just learn to shoot the flintlock as good as some of the guys on here. I may as well throw rocks at the deer.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really didn't mean it to be about season changes. I meant it in the sense of what would it take to make you happy while you are hunting deer.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
All deer to have a gps locator chip embedded in their back and my gps to be the only one in PA that can pick up the signal.

I have no complaints. Some years are easier. Some years are challenging. Best part is you never know what the next year is bringing until you get out and just do it.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts