The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
At the age of 11 my Dad came with a beautiful Remington 700 adl .243 with a 2-7 leupold on it. He got it in a trade deal involving cars and guns. I’m sure brought on by his son needing a rifle for hunting. I still have it and it still shoots great. My daughter shot her first buck with it in 2017. I told her that it goes to her! I will probably have it completely restored before I hand off for good
Unless it's a safety concern, I wouldn't wipe out your history with that gun by refinishing it before passing it on. JMO

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
We only owned 30-06 when I was growing up so I used my Dad's Rem 700 BDL. He did get me some 125gr bullets to cut down on recoil a bit. I was 13, not 12...Dad thought I needed an extra year.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Winchester 30-30 model 94. My gramp bought it new for me when I was 12. I Shot a buck and doe with it that year. I still use it on occasion. It’s taken a buck, a couple bear and I shot a doe with it this season.

·
Registered
331 Posts
30-30 win model 94 that my dad bought in 1939 i have a pic of him holding the same gun with a deer he shot when he was 18.. I have shot quite a few deer with that gun...

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Marlin 30-30 that both of my sons also used to take their first deer. My dad bought it at KMartt in 1977 for like 89 bucks.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Dad didn’t think I was ready to deer hunt when I was 12 in 1982, but at 13 he let me use his REM. 760 Gamemaster 308.
He borrowed my uncles 30 30 from then on.
I guess it became “ mine” ?
Still have it, and use it today !!

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Had no rifle at twelve. I just went out and walked around the woods. Had none at thirteen either but I was getting there. At fourteen I had saved enough to buy a used 12 gauge single shot and one box of foster slugs and a hunting license. . Killed a doe with it. I gutted her with my Case Barlow
pocket knife.
Ive been cultured and upgraded since those days over four decades back. But still own and hunt with a single shot twelve gauge but not for deer.

·
Registered
13,863 Posts
Had no rifle at twelve. I just went out and walked around the woods. Had none at thirteen either but I was getting there. At fourteen I had saved enough to buy a used 12 gauge single shot and one box of foster slugs and a hunting license. . Killed a doe with it. I gutted her with my Case Barlow
pocket knife.
Ive been cultured and upgraded since those days over four decades back. But still own and hunt with a single shot twelve gauge but not for deer.
My uncle Russ killed 22 bucks with a Winchester '97 12ga pump gun. And this was in south central Pa back in the day before we had many deer down here.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
My uncle Russ killed 22 bucks with a Winchester '97 12ga pump gun. And this was in south central Pa back in the day before we many deer down here.
My grand father hunted with a single shot twelve all his hunting life and killed a lot of deer and everything else with it. I shot it once and like many singles of its day it kicked like Thors hammer.

Reactions: .257

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Remington 700 BDL in .243 with a Redfield Widefield 3x9. Christmas gift after my first deer season in 1971. I still have it, my son killed his first buck with it. I hoped to use it this past season but couldn't locate .243 ammo (100 gr). Used my Grandad's old Marlin 45/70 with the Lyman All American 2.5 on it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My first rifle was my great grandfathers 1945, model 94, 30/30. It was the only gun my great grandfather and grandfather used to hunt with. It got passed down to my dad, and his shot his first few deer with it, then he gave it to me and I took a few deer with it. Since then, it has become a tradition that my sons started carrying it in the deer woods to shoot their first buck. My oldest shot his first buck with it 2 years ago, now my middle son carried it this year for his first year in the deer woods.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Rem 788 in 6mm, left hand - Still have it and carried it exclusively for 40 years until bear season stayed open during deer season. Now, it's often either a Rem 700 LSS in 30-06 LH or Ruger 77 in 25-06 LH.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Mod 94 in 32 Win spl.
Never got a deer in front of it and it got stolen while I was in the service. Found out who but they were already dead by that time.
Anyway, I finally saw one and had money to burn. Bought it, a 1949 mod 94 32 Win Spl, had to replace the magazine because some knucklehead drilled a hole in it for a sling swivel, refinished it and took a doe a couple years ago.

Fawn Terrestrial animal Grass Tail Sporting Group

121 - 140 of 150 Posts