The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine was a Savage 222. Then went to a 243, at 14, and at 17, went to 30-06, with a savage 110. Today, I still mainley use the 30-06, it's just now a Remington 700.

·
Registered
243 Posts
500 mossberg with a rifled slug barrel. Kicked like a mule then and still does the same thing 11 years later.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Winchester m88 in 308 with a 6x redfield TV scope...wish i could get my paws on that gun...dont even know if grama still owns it or the m50 12ga..i hinted around about it for a while...i took care of the collection for years...no one else hunts or shoots...but she has 2 money hungry sons...one of them likely sold them for scrape prices..i have no idea if she still has then or not...

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
we didnt have money for guns back then, killed my first deer with my late uncles 12ga pump when i was 17. i remember him asking why i didnt notch the stock. i told him it wasnt mine and couldnt scratch that nice gun.

one of my dads uncles also lent me a shot gun sometimes, he even let me use 3 slugs he had from his son that passed at 16, he wrote names on the hulls for the deer he would take with them, i was always afraid they would bring me luck, while i feared using those slugs.

maybe thats why i like having more guns than i need now.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Remington 788 in .243. Shot my first deer with it. Still have the gun,and it shoots really accurate,but I cut the stock down for my wife to shoot.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Remington 760 30-06 open sights
My dad even had me reloading my own shells (with his supervision)
180gr Remington Bronze tips.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
My first year I hunted with an old Sears single shot 20 ga. with shot for small game and slugs for deer.At 13 I still had the 20 ga. for small game but moved up to a borrowed Savage Model 340 30/30 with open sights for deer. At 14 I worked very hard and bought my first rifle ,a Rem. Model 788 308 Win. I killed my first deer, open sights and all with that rifle in 1974.It was a big Doe and then my first buck, a basket rack 8 point in 1976 at age 16. By then I had bought and installed a 4X scope on her.

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold"> A mule kicking, teeth rattling 303 British Enfield...

Dad bought me a Winchester model 70 30-06 for X-mas that year...Still have it & used it this year.</span>

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Marlin 30-30 Texan....straight stocked 18" bbl. My brother now has that rifle.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Winchester .243, purchased by my late grandfather. Saving it for my son even if he never hunts and if I ever find out he sold it hes gonna wish he didnt.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts