The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if others do this but AFTER gutting the deer I always cut open the stomach and see what they were eating. Last week we shot five deer and four of them had corn in their stomach's and mine had crab apples, which a lot of them were never even chewed. The nearest cornfield was at least a mile away.

Stetam

·
Registered
855 Posts
Stetam said:
The nearest cornfield was at least a mile away.
The nearest pile of corn may have been much closer. Sorry, I know deer can travel a good way but I do believe baiting/feeding is a problem.

Usually don't open the stomach on deer I harvest but when I have they have had corn in them which is too be expected since most are archery season harvest and there are many nearby cornfields still standing.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Corn and acorns recently, but His last meal was LEAD!HA HA!!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
A mile is no distance for a buck to travel at night. Most in shape humans can run a mile in under 10mins. The circuit a deer makes in a given night would surprise most. This is why guys spend all season hunting a buck they have on trail cam at night that they never see.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
My entire goal in life when gutting is to not open that stomach.
So no idea but we have no farms so it would have to be browse and beech.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
The nearest cornfield was at least a mile away.
A pal shot a real dandy Buck a few years back. Loaded with corn. Same thing, nearest corn was quite a distance and we thought, sheesh, this Buck sure did some hoofin in a few hours. Then one day my elderly neighbor stopped to chat. Said he was mad that his wife sent him out on another "feed run". Went on to say she cost him $350 that year to feed her "pets". Mystery solved for my pals cornfed Buck.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
I've noticed the same on a couple deer at camp. Seemed to have corn in their stomachs but its all big woods...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts