The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious as to what waders you guys use after reading another thread and realizing some of you guys hike several hours to get in and out of your spots. Personally walking that far in my usual rubber/nylon waders doesn't sound pleasant.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
I went to frog togg wading pants and cabelas hiker wading boots this year...

One trip was around 10 miles..

Comfortable and functional...if it's arm I just wear shorts underneath...if it's cold like April I wore pants and heavier socks...

I don't wet wade in the summer...itd be nice but I can't stand busting brush in shorts...not uncommon to hit a giant hole and have to leave the creek and it be nasty on the banks..even tall thick grass will shred your skin..i rather be a little warm...though the wading pants aren't bad at all...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I wear LaCrosse "Marsh" hip boots. I wear three pairs of socks to make them fit like a glove, which makes them very comfortable.

The rubber these boots are made of is softer than your typical discount hippers, which makes them stick to underwater rocks better.

I go through more than two pairs each year due to the soles wearing out, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I've used various waders through the years. My current waders are Simms breathable waders. I use Korkers wading shoes with convertible soles. It can be difficult walking long distances in waders but like Mauser06, I don't like to wet wade and expose my legs to the high grass and brush I walk through.

I 'm very hard on waders due to how much I fish and how far I walk. The longest a pair of waders lasts me is two years and by then, my waders have multiple patches in them. I'm pretty sure I will have to replace the waders I have by the fall before the water gets cold.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I use Redington sonic pros. I have tried almost every brand out there and between the brush busting I do while fishing and the trout farm I'd go through a pair a year. I got 5 1/2 years out of the Redington's. I blew through a pair of korker wading boots in 6 months. They were quite comfortable but now I just use froggtogg boots. I just got my Redington's from avidmax.com. Sign up for email get 10% off plus $50 mail in rebate, got $200+ waders for $130

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Simms Headwaters breathable waisthighs and Frogg Toggs stockingfoot hippers. I wear my Simms G3 Guide boots with both.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't really get to start fishing until the last week of May each year, so it is primarily wet wading with Korkers or running shoes, as long as the air temperature is above 45 degrees. When I do use hip boots, they are Lacrosse Trapline hip boots. They are briar resistant, scuff resistant, and very comfortable to walk in. No need to secure the tops with a strap as they stay up on their own. I have done miles and miles of hiking in them during trapping season.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I have used the breathable boots and usually get less then a year out of them with light use. When I get the all rubber ones I get a little longer before I start getting wet. I think my current waders have small leak but I haven't checked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts