The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a shotgun I can use to hunt just about every game in PA. What should I get? Should I get one that has a 3" chamber or one with a 3.5" chamber?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Larry, I have both. Personally, I think a 3" chamber is more than adequate.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I agree with Steely, 3" is more then adequate. Even with all the modern recoils systems 3.5" shells can still rock your world. Good luck in your quest, stick with the known manufactures if you can afford to.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
get one that will shoot 3 1/2 ,,that way you have the OPTION to do shoot those if you want ,, you can alwasy use 3 inch in it .if recoil is a concern get a semi that will reduce the recoil some

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
get a 20 gauge - the slugs don't punish you so bad.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Either the Rem 870 or Moss 835. Either one is a great choice and you have many options in bbl length and type, chokes, stocks, etc...

I have an 835, got in 1994 I believe. I have used it from everything from deer hunting, small game, trap shoots, duck, etc. Now its my dedicated turkey gun. Does kick a bit, but that doesn't bother me.

What ever you choose, make sure it fits you well and the weight is good for you. A shotgun or rifle that is not a good fit, makes for a long day. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Just keep in mind that if you choose a 835 you will need a slug barrel to shoot any type of slugs. They have a 10 gauge bore.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
Just keep in mind that if you choose a 835 you will need a slug barrel to shoot any type of slugs. They have a 10 gauge bore.
Thanks for the reminder. I should have mentioned that I have a slug bbl for mine when I did use it for deer

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
i have 3 rem 870 shotguns. they are indestructable and work no matter what you do to them or don't do to them. then again a good over/under will do anthing you want too.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
A 3" 12 ga pump will do 99% of what you want it for. Get a 3 1/2 if you want but mostly not needed IMO. In a pump I prefer the browning action but they are a bit heavy, so for you I would say a Rem 870 or possibly a Benelli Nova (also a bit heavy), since you would carry it a lot in upland or small game hunting. I would also give serious consideration to the 3" 20 GA, today's ammo, if you buy the good stuff, make it quite versatile and effective. Lighter gun too.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Larry if I remember correctly you are just starting to hunt.If that is true my suggestion would be a combo 20 gauge slug/smooth 2 barrel combo with a scope included.Dicks has them fairly cheap.If you are just starting out you need the Hunter Trapper Education course.I would also suggest finding someone to help you learn to speed up the process for you so you don't get depressed early on.3" is plenty enough on any game in Pa.I will be honest with you the older I get the less power I want because I have come to realize more is not always better.You may want to look at a gun with interchangable barrels.It would be more than the combo I suggested though.Some of the barrles for those brands are more than a combo from Dicks or other chain store.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Oh I am not far from you if you need a little help.I live 20 minutes north of Pittsburgh.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Lets say he jumps in all the way and buys good stuff.Then decides hunting isn't for him.He will lose quite a bit of money for his "experiment" when a shotgun combo used for one season would answer the question.Likely get way more money back than buying a gun for everything like we have.I started on a single shot 20 gauge.Hunted everything even deer using punkin balls.Personally I don't care if he spends $20,000 on guns and scopes.If I was starting out I would use financial caution.That is my point with the shotgun combo.He could be a millionaire for all I know and guns are chump change to him.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A. Don't want a 20 gauge

B. Willing to spend <600 tops

C. I belong to a gun club and I collect firearms so any money spent on a gun is not a waste to me

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
when getting a slug barrel, make sure that you get one with a cantilvered scope base. You can remove the slug barrel and put on a bird or turkey barrel, then switch back and the gun is still sighted in.

·
Super Moderator
12,626 Posts
LarryD1130 said:
I'm looking to buy a shotgun I can use to hunt just about every game in PA. What should I get? Should I get one that has a 3" chamber or one with a 3.5" chamber?
Fit is most important and unfortunately is given the least amount of consideration by most buyers, med. length barrel for good ballistics, easy to swing in a tight area (Grouse...turkey coming to a call) w/choke tubes. There are many tubes allowing great patterns and slug groups.

3" is most adequate 3 1/2" is heavy when it comes to upland game. An over and under with selective triggers is excellent for upland game, but perhaps not the best for shooting out of waterfowl blinds or boats.

I would stay with a proven brand name and consider a synthetic stock if it will get some abuse...boats thick cover etc.

I wouldn't be too quick to disregard a 20 it is pretty consistent with a 2 3/4 twelve, light weight and light on recoil. The correct shot size and load have a lot to do with success.

I would also give consideration to a good used gun there are many of them out there at a good price, but get a good fit to your size/build.

You find many will recommend what ever they hunt with and very few hunters consider fit which will greatly aid you in accuracy of aiming and shooting.

Let us know what you chose and why if you don't mind....

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
I just read the Gun Testing magazine for Nov 2010. They gave the "A" rating to the Browning BPS Stalker....The rating was based on everything; home defense, buckshot, slugs, and fine shot for hunting...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts