The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the turkey talk is picking up on here so I thought we would have a little discussion:

Every year it happens, we have those days that no matter the amount of ground we cover or where we hunt there are those mornings we don't hear any gobblers.

Each year I can pretty much "gauge" the type of morning I will have by the birds chirping before daylight as I walk to my vehicle to go hunting.

The mornings I know its going to be HOT are when I hear the little birds chirping loudly at 4:30am as I walk from the house to the vehicle.

Not only does it seem to affect the gobblers but listen to the crows and other birds on those days you hear nothing and I find that they too aren't "talking". Also while you are sitting on the ridges or mountainsides waiting for something to happen listen to the vehicle traffic, because when guys aren't hearing any they are covering ground trying to find that one loudmouth bird. So do any of you have these types of experiences?

·
Registered
895 Posts
lol....love your scenarios.......silence is golden !!

As everyone is running around trying to find that hot bird....I just sit and wait them out (lots "o" patience)
especially when all the scouting work has been done and I know they are in the area!!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
BYHALIA said:
As everyone is running around trying to find that hot bird....I just sit and wait them out (lots "o" patience)
especially when all the scouting work has been done and I know they are in the area!!
100% right there ! that's all you need.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
The worst in my opinion is a blue bird day after a front passes. Cooler drier air, blue sky, wispy clouds and breezy . Recipe for a dead sea. Give me a muggy calm morning, a little overcast, chance of a shower later in the day . I have certified old time turkeykiller friend of mine who shared this with years ago and I believe he was right . Birds gobble and work better on those type days . I agree about the songbirds too. Good indicator . I remember one year walking in opening day at 4:45 am and tweety birds were already stirring and two gobblers got hammering in the pitch black darkness . Roosted together in the same tree, gave me plenty of time to slip in super tight (50 yds ) and one of the quickest flash hunts I've ever had . Not sure what makes the critters stir so early some days but it sure can work to your favor sometimes. Dang , now im getting all excited again!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Cool still morning, and during or right after a light shower when the sun comes out.

·
Registered
18,710 Posts
jec turkeydad said:
and during or right after a light shower when the sun comes out.
Yep. The absolute best time to be in the woods. As soon a shower or the rain lets up and the sun peaks through.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
BYHALIA said:
lol....love your scenarios.......silence is golden !!

Man I hate those kind of days (dead silent). Patience sure can work in those situations but it is really hard for me not to search for that one bird that "wants to die", lol.

·
Registered
870 Posts
dpms said:
jec turkeydad said:
and during or right after a light shower when the sun comes out.
Yep. The absolute best time to be in the woods. As soon a shower or the rain lets up and the sun peaks through.
I've had great success with this exact scenario also.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Okay you will think I am crazy, but I have keep a log for the past 15 years. The big factor of gobbling activity is based on barometric pressure. See now you think I am nuts...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Fullfan said:
Okay you will think I am crazy, but I have keep a log for the past 15 years. The big factor of gobbling activity is based on barometric pressure. See now you think I am nuts...
are you being sarcastic? I don't think you're crazy at all in fact I used to take a barometer with me when I scouted and record the pressure and gobbling activity.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
http://www.outdoorlife.com/weather/barometric
Not crazy at all,

What Makes a Turkey Gobble?

"We know that wildlife react to changes in barometric pressure, rainfall and wind speed," said Dr. James Earl Kennamer, NWTF's vice-president of conservation programs. "How they sense these changes and exactly why they react is the question."

"Weather affects wildlife in the same way that it can affect people's attitudes and behaviors. Hot, cold, dry and wet weather determines our dress, umbrella use and recreational activities. The same weather determines if turkeys sit late on their roosts or fly down to feed.

Gary Norman, NWTF technical committee member and biologist for the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, is testing a microchip that will record the date and time of a wild turkey's gobbles. The microchip is placed in radio collars, and the information will be compared to weather records, which should determine when turkeys are most likely to gobble. If successful, the microchip will help biologists determine those factors that affect gobbling. Armed with that information, wildlife agencies should be able to fine tune season dates to coincide with peak gobbling activity and improve hunter satisfaction.

Norman said that lab studies have been successful, and that the microchip would be tested on captured turkeys in the spring of 2004.

Because change is a huge factor in how weather affects wildlife, the study and the microchip will go a long way in answering many questions about behavior. Wildlife are more in tune with nature and weather patterns because survival depends on their response to nature.

Timing hunting and fishing trips with changing weather patterns can increase the chance of success, especially if the trip can be made immediately before or after heavy rain or a weather front.

"Deer and turkeys feed heavily before and after a front," Kennamer said. "What we want to learn is their activity levels during days of continuous weather. How active are wildlife during a week of sunshine, or a week of rain?"

·
Registered
895 Posts
Fullfan said:
Known this for years.....and yes it does mean something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like any day but a windy day, I like to hear birds gobbling a mile away lol. Those calm mornings when you hear birds in a 360 degree circle. Oooh I'm getting pumped just talking about it...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I agree it has something to do with barometric pressure, I just havent quite figured it out yet! I plan on recording this year in the mornings before I head out the door.

I absolutely love to be in the woods after a shower. When the sun finally peeks out, its almost automatic!!

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I've killed a few longbeards with storms approaching. Each one of them went crazy every time it thundered and nearly hyperventilated. They all right ran into my setup and left in my truck. I assume they did this to try and get with the hen before the rain started and her willingness to breed would subside.

I can't say for sure the turkeys I hunt follow any "guidelines." Some days they gobble and some days they don't. It can be a blue bird day, right after a front, right before a front or just plain overcast. I've seen it quiet on each, but windy is the worst. I always thought the cold, crisp, calm mornings had better gobbling activity than those warm, muggy mornings. I'll try to pay more attention to the barometer this year though.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Fullfan said:
Finally!!!!! someone agrees with me. I've said that for years and everyone thought I was nuts. If it affects fish under the darn water, it will affect all other critters as well. Just my HO

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Also watch the barometer and when it is 29.9 and rising or higher my notes say more gobbling on those days. Certainly no method is foolproof and they will make us second guess ourselves often.

After a good downpour and the sun pops out, it's on like donkey kong.

What are the factors which affect evening roost gobbling?
Seems like some evenings every Tom in earshot gobbles multiple times on the limb. I have watched multiple Toms roost with only 1 or 2 gobbling out of the bunch.
Then some evenings none will talk on the limb.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts