The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined this forum recently and am loving it. I have always hunted deer, bear, and turkey. I never hunted Foxes or coyotes before but I want to start. Do you guys hunt state game lands, anf, or private land? I have no clue where to go or what environment predators like. Also, what season and time of day is the best?

Thanks,
Chase

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I hunt mostly private but also have a few calling locations on a nearby gameland. Most property is in Berks, Montgomery, and Chester Counties here in SEPA, but will get out a few times with my Dad in Dauphin and Lebanon counties on a few pieces he has permission.

I try to look for open areas like cut crop fields,pastures, power line rights of way etc that border wooded areas as most of my hunting is at night with lights and now thermal and its much easier in more open areas. Its a "run and gun" type of hunting for me, as I call one area for say 1/2 hour then move on to next spot. Because of this the more properties I have to hunt the better!

As far as equipment To start out I would say the following:
Rifle in appropriate caliber,
A good gun mounted and scan red light such as Night Eyes brand which is owned by a member here.
Electronic caller, I recommend Foxpro brand, the lower priced units like the Patriot will be fine to start.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hunt mostly private but also have a few calling locations on a nearby gameland. Most property is in Berks, Montgomery, and Chester Counties here in SEPA, but will get out a few times with my Dad in Dauphin and Lebanon counties on a few pieces he has permission.

I try to look for open areas like cut crop fields,pastures, power line rights of way etc that border wooded areas as most of my hunting is at night with lights and now thermal and its much easier in more open areas. Its a "run and gun" type of hunting for me, as I call one area for say 1/2 hour then move on to next spot. Because of this the more properties I have to hunt the better!

As far as equipment To start out I would say the following:
Rifle in appropriate caliber,
A good gun mounted and scan red light such as Night Eyes brand which is owned by a member here.
Electronic caller, I recommend Foxpro brand, the lower priced units like the Patriot will be fine to start.
Wow, thank you so much for the info. The bank is going to think someone stole my credit card after the amount I'm going to spend lol

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Welcome !
First off...don't get hung up on over 95% of the predator hunting vids on you tube....there maybe 5 legit "channels" that will actually teach /help someone with positioning and set ups. And even fewer that help with sounds.

Predator hunting combines deer and turkey hunting....simply put - Coyote hunting is like hunting turkey that have the nose of a deer.

Do your research on equipment......if your going to night hunt and be serious about spending the $..it gets very expensive ...Purchase from reputable authorized dealer that specializes in night hunting equipment. In most cases one will be better off spending a little more money by stepping up to the next level of quality devices. Less expensive isn't always better...in other words ..don't spend your hard earned money to fill the void now and regret not waiting and saving the extra money to get the next step up in technology.
..and another thing...don't get lassoed into the high "optical" magnification on scopes. Such as A scope labeled starting mag at "5x" will only hinder your shooting..theres no FOV..and you'll have a heck of a time find coyotes in the scope.
I prefer 1.5-2.5 base mag.

Scout and quietly observe.....learn from both.
Public and private land ..I hunt mostly farm land and fields.."suburbs" areas with a mix of fields..I don't hunt in the woods.
Be patient....just because coyotes don't answer ... doesn't mean they aren't there...if I know coyotes are on a property and my set up is correct...I'll stand there for 5 hours to kill them...or hit a couple other spots and come back. It's probably a 50/50 split for me on coyotes responding vs not responding and coming in and killing them.
Listen to/for real coyotes.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I know you asked about environment but that has been answered from those above my post. But will add this. Grey foxes unlike reds and coyotes don't play the wind and are the easiest to call in. Grey's can tolerate a loud call but reds not quite so.. I seen greys shot at and a bit later they would come back into the call. Use rabbit distress or a grey fox distress and always follow up after other distress sounds with a grey fox distress and if they are in hearing distance they will come in and usually under 10 minutes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know you asked about environment but that has been answered from those above my post. But will add this. Grey foxes unlike reds and coyotes don't play the wind and are the easiest to call in. Grey's can tolerate a loud call but reds not quite so.. I seen greys shot at and a bit later they would come back into the call. Use rabbit distress or a grey fox distress and always follow up after other distress sounds with a grey fox distress and if they are in hearing distance they will come in and usually under 10 minutes.
Great, thank you! I will be scouting this week!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome !
First off...don't get hung up on over 95% of the predator hunting vids on you tube....there maybe 5 legit "channels" that will actually teach /help someone with positioning and set ups. And even fewer that help with sounds.

Predator hunting combines deer and turkey hunting....simply put - Coyote hunting is like hunting turkey that have the nose of a deer.

Do your research on equipment......if your going to night hunt and be serious about spending the $..it gets very expensive ...Purchase from reputable authorized dealer that specializes in night hunting equipment. In most cases one will be better off spending a little more money by stepping up to the next level of quality devices. Less expensive isn't always better...in other words ..don't spend your hard earned money to fill the void now and regret not waiting and saving the extra money to get the next step up in technology.
..and another thing...don't get lassoed into the high "optical" magnification on scopes. Such as A scope labeled starting mag at "5x" will only hinder your shooting..theres no FOV..and you'll have a heck of a time find coyotes in the scope.
I prefer 1.5-2.5 base mag.

Scout and quietly observe.....learn from both.
Public and private land ..I hunt mostly farm land and fields.."suburbs" areas with a mix of fields..I don't hunt in the woods.
Be patient....just because coyotes don't answer ... doesn't mean they aren't there...if I know coyotes are on a property and my set up is correct...I'll stand there for 5 hours to kill them...or hit a couple other spots and come back. It's probably a 50/50 split for me on coyotes responding vs not responding and coming in and killing them.
Listen to/for real coyotes.
Awesome, thank you! I will be scouting this week👊

1 - 10 of 10 Posts