The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to whipe out everything in a new area I'm planting. I know roundup will work (or the cheap agway version) but I remember guys talking about another weed killer to take care of the broadleaf plants? Any help would be great.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Roundup has glyphosphate in it,when it first came out it had a patient on it like all manufactures do.This ran out a couple of years ago and more manufactures came along making the prices drop (somewhat,there are a number of manufactures now) you want a product that has aleast 41% gly in it or better.(saying you want to wipe everthing out)I have found some good prices on e-bay even with shipping, has been cheaper then I could find locally,but I buy 5 gal. at a time.Try searching under Glyphosphate in E-bay

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
just call our federal government and ask them what chemicals were used to make AGENT ORANGE, that will eliminate any vegitation growth i assure you.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
archeryman32 said:
I want to whipe out everything in a new area I'm planting. I know roundup will work (or the cheap agway version) but I remember guys talking about another weed killer to take care of the broadleaf plants? Any help would be great.
I've learned that if I really want to kill and kill all, mix generic Roundup with 2,4,D.

1.5 qts per acre of each, in the same tank and spray. It'll do the job and do it well.

try http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com for both glyphosate and the 2,4,D

They are in Lebanon County, so the shipping to you won't be so bad. You can buy a gallon of each and it won't set you back to much.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Myself, i would us 2 qts for roundup and 1 qt of 2/4/D
One thing to remember if your spraying more than a pt. of 2/4/D you should wait 30 days before doing clover's typ seeding.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Ya know, I used to try to kill my clover plots with just Gly, its darned near impossible to smoke a clover plot, dead, dead, with Gly. But 2,4,D does the trick.

Yes, you could go 2 gly to 1 2,4,D It'll work.

One thing tho, to kill broadleafs, wait until a little later in the spring maybe when more weeds will be up and availble for kill.

·
Registered
862 Posts
yes your right..
it's not a good time to start spraying yet.i'm planning on starting all of my spraying in like 3 weeks yet. i try to shoot for the first week of may.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How long would I have to wait to disc it in after spraying then? I'd like to plant in May.

·
Registered
862 Posts
i would wait 2 weeks before discing. This way it would be ezer to dics. The longer you wait sometime the better.
you could burn it too. the disc it.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
archeryman32 said:
How long would I have to wait to disc it in after spraying then? I'd like to plant in May.
Is this old sod? Or has it been worked before?

Me thinks you may be rushing things a bit. Thats just me though.

Depending on what you are planting, I'd rather see better grass and weed control than just one spraying, discing and planting.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It hasn't been worked in a few years now. It's mostly grass with a few ferns and some green briar.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I would be waiting too. I would wait till may to spray it.
and then i would wait a couple weeks after that to dics it and plant it.

but thats just me.

·
Registered
777 Posts
If you plan on plowing you could do that, if its not to wet flip over that green manure before it gets to thick.Disc now disc and spray later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts