The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My house sits in the center of funnel, between 2 large woodlots I hunt. Until last year ,I spent to much money feeding the deer corn.( under spot lights , I know when rut starts, keeps does fat & happy ect ) I don't hunt in this area & have used it as a safe place for the does to feed & bed. When the rut kicks in , it keeps the bucks moving between the 2 larger tracks. Last year , I cleared aprox. 30 ft by 300 ft on my property & planted w Ladino clover.The clover grew great, but the deer didn't seem to care about it. I recently sprayed round-up & raked it out to bare ground. Anyone have advic as to what to plant to draw deer in , in the fall / winter & what other prep work I need to do make it work. The clover grew great, but was over-ran by something about 8 -10 inches tall that lokked like ( best I can describe ) lillypads you would see in a pond , but on the ground. Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody , trust me , any suggestions would be better than what I tried last year. Even a suggestion at some type of no plow or low maintenance type seed. I don't have a green thumb, the wife won't even let me water Xmas tree.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys, gave me a good place to start. Brassicas sounds like what I'm looking for, along w/ maybe some clover for earlier. Never heard of brassica before, so could someone give me a name/brand & quick rundown of how to plant.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Evolved Habitats has a producr called Shot Plot, its a brassica mix. Pretty basic mix and works well.

Deer can sometimes ignore them, it all depends on how many deer you have and other available food sources.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Brassicas(turnips, rape and kale) work well for me, but, I usually try to plant it near my corn. Corn is a great draw in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
HomeintheWoods said:
biologic greenpatch is a wider variety alternative you may want to consider
Probably best advice yet, given his location and situation.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The brand I use is a local blend from our farm supply. After limeing and fertilizer ( per soil test) I plow, disc and roll my plot, then seed at 6#/acre and roll again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I plant Antler King's Honey Hole, it is a mix of different types of turnips. Also mix white (Whitetail Institute)clover in with the turnips. The clover will grow a little this year but the turnips will go gang busters and be ready after the first frost. Don't get discouraged if the deer don't go right after them at first it may take them a bit to aquire the taste but they will.

Lime...Lime...Lime...Lime (2 tons/acre)if you don't have a PH test
Make sure you have applied enough lime and fertilizer to your plot to get your PH up. If you fail to do this simple step your plot is almost doomed to fail. I'm not saying it won't grow it might, but it will never reach its maximum protien output or growth. The biggest mistake we make when planting is not appling Lime. You can add all of the fertilizer you want but it will go to waste without the lime to break it down.

Here is the conversion to see how big your plot is and to see how many lbs of lime you need
Size of your plot
(30x300)/43560=.2067 or .21 Acre around 1/4 acre
So most small bags of over the counter seed will work for you. DON'T OVER SEED MORE IS NOT BETTER BUT MAKE SURE YOU GET GOOD COVERAGE.
So (My guess) 2 Tons/acre or 4000lbs/acre of lime
4000lbs/acre x .21 acres = 840lbs for your plot
Now Fertilizer: I think the bag of honey hole says 300lbs per acre of 19-19-19 but if you mix clover with it use 10-20-20 at that rate. 300 X.21 = 63 lbs for your plot I would buy a 100 lbs and spread 50lbs first and wait a week or 2 and spread the other 50lbs this will help keep your plot from getting burnt from too much fertilizer. After you do all of that pray for rain!!!This year that has not been a problem.. Good Luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Use the steps that barney uses in combination with the info above and you will be right on target

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
In my opinion, RAPE is the way to go. It is extremely affordable and is an excellent winter crop. Most farm supply stores have it in stock. RAPE is a brassica. Many of the high priced whitetail seed mixes have a lot of RAPE in them but charge ridiculous prices for a bag with a picture of a monster buck on it..

As mentioned above, test the soil PH. Lime as necessary.

Plant the RAPE in early September.

Best regards, Glenn

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone, With all the info I should be in good shape , excpt for the rain. A couple hundred feet of hose will take care of that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts