The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some old trails and roadways in the woods on the property I hunt that I would like to try and have something grow that will attract the deer. I can't get any equipment in to turn up the soil, so I will only have hand tools. What grows best on old trails and such in the woods that receive minimal sunlight?

·
Registered
245 Posts
you can frost seed red and white clover. you don't need equipment. get a hand held grass seeder and walk the trail spinning the seed as you walk. clover seed is small and does well with frost seeding. clover will attract deer, turkey, as well as pollinators.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well its a trail that goes thru a wooden area, the trail is maybe 5-6 ft which with trees all around keeping most of the sunlight from reaching the ground.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
If there aren't grasses and or clover growing beside the trail you will have a very difficult time getting it to grow in the trail. A 5-6 foot trail isn't getting any more sun than the area beside it. Throw some cheap seed down and see what happens. Good luck

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Try some KY 31 grass seed, just a small amount to see what it does. It doesn't need much sunlight to grow, might work, Lowes sells it..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts