The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago, we did a select clearcut of about 20 acres, and we figured not much useful was going to grow there for a while. We hoped that it would just get thick and give deer some cover and food. It may eventually get there, but in the meantime, it is covered in stiltgrass. We are having another cutting done this winter, and I would like to frost seed something in there that might have a change to grow instead of the stiltgrass that I know is just waiting for some sunlight. I have seriously considered japanese honeysuckle, and yes I know it is an invasive. However, the deer love it and it stays green and edible late into the winter. This is mountain ground, not tillable at all. It is relatively flat in this area, but this ground is mostly rocky and unworkable. But, clearly the stiltgrass and a few other things can get a foothold, so honeysuckle should be able to also.

Has anyone tried frost seeding honeysuckle? And if not, do you have a better alternative? In years past I have been growing chestnuts from seeds and planting them on some of our property that we can actually get a shovel in. I am going to try to get a few chestnuts planted in this newly cut area, but i dont have high hopes based on the quality of the ground.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You will regret planting Japanese honeysuckle, it is no more than a weed and it will take over the place. Contact the PGC land manager in your area and asked what you can plant that will provide for for the long haul. One thing you may want to consider is spice bush.

Reactions: CROW MASTER

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will regret planting Japanese honeysuckle, it is no more than a weed and it will take over the place. Contact the PFC land manager in your area and asked what you can plant that will provide for for the long haul. One thing you may want to consider is spice bush.
I have heard this about honeysuckle, and we have one spot of honeysuckle on our property that has not expanded at all since i have been hunting there, about 25 years. We tried planting japanese honeysuckle in several different parts of our property about 15 years ago, with cages over the plants to protect them from deer, and not one lived past 2 years. This was before we logged anything, so there was very little sunlight reaching the ground. The reason i wanted to plant honeysuckle is because we need something that will outgrow the stiltgrass. Stiltgrass has absolutely no value to the deer. Honeysuckle at least has value to the deer. Ill look into spice bush also.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
I would plant lime and fertilizer and a lot of it. :D

Seriously, though. The only thing that grew well in our woods plots was rye. In the combo seeds, the clover and brassicas sprout, but stay tiny. The rye does well. But lime, lime, lime.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts