The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What has worked for me several times in the past has me wondering what to do this fall.

I sprayed my plots in Mid April and late May planning to do a touch up spray July / Aug then disc and plant in Sept. Long story short I have not gotten back since May. With all the rain and 90 degree weather we have had this Summer the spraying I did here at home worked for a few weeks but the re-growth is heavy. I got to thinking the other day that the same thing has probably happened on my property, well Gunny stopped by today and said the plots are 2' to 3' tall.

My plan is to spend the last weekend of Aug and the first weekend of Sept there, my next possible weekend to go back will be the last one in Sept.

What to do?
1) Mow and start over next year?
2) Spray the tall grass, then mow and disc a week later?
3) Mow, spray a week later and try to plant the end of the month?
4) ?? Your thoughts ??

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
What do you want to plant?

If I were putting brassicas in, I'd mow, chop it up good, then the next week spray and seed heavily into the thatch. Maybe run a disc over it lightly to create furrows for the seed to lay in.

Hope you get a good storn to really drive the seed in.

It would give you a kill for this fall and put you ahead of the game come spring, but you now have a huge number of seeds waiting to germinate as well, which may interfere with your planting this year.

You could have paid me to come out there and do the work on yer place, but, no, you wanna keep this place a secret. LOL

If you are putting in rye and oats, late September will probably work, if you can get the soil worked up. I'd put on some extra nitrogen to get it going tho. A lot just depends on the fall weather.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plan was rye and clover. The brassica sounds like a good option.

It's really not a secret, I am just selective on who knows the location LOL.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I'd not even consider the clover with such a pile of seeds sitting there at this point. Need to get an annual of some sort in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts