The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had plans to plant Brassicas today. I am in the Southern Tier of NY, a mile from the PA border. We have not had rain in a couple of weeks, and there is nothing in the forecast for as long as I can see.How long can I wait to plant Brassicas and still have time for growth? Should I skip the a Brassicas and just plant Oats in late August, assuming there will be some rain by then?

Will

·
Registered
52,306 Posts
Plant them, they will just lay there until they get enough moisture to germinate, a few overnight dews could work,nonetheless get them in the ground,they will eventually come up..

·
Registered
806 Posts
It's still a bit early, I would wait. I disked my plot yesterday and it was like disking concrete. if you plant , and they germinate, Im afraid the little sprouts will cook. I personally am going to wait till after this week. the forecast looks very hot all week. then I'll make a decision when I see the future forecast.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I second Crow Master's recommendation.

As an aside, it is very difficult to be enthusiastic about fall planting plans with the drought situation in the northern part of the state and the New York Finger Lakes region. With such limited ground moisture and storm after storm fizzling out it seems like we need a major force to change the pattern. Some years that comes in the form of a tropical storm system but the Atlantic has been very quiet.

It will indeed rain again.

·
Registered
384 Posts
HomeintheWoods said:
...the drought situation in the northern part of the state and the New York Finger Lakes region. With such limited ground moisture and storm after storm fizzling out it seems like we need a major force to change the pattern...
yep. yesterday was a the first appreciable rain since about early june. It could rain another 5" this week and we would still be below average. storms coming in from the west soaked Oil City and Warren all summer but just seemed to fizzle out by NC PA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.