The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gift this year is $1000 for something I really want.I'm torn between rifle,scope or a chrony and some nice reloading stuff.I have an RCBS press and thought another would be nice but I enjoy the tinkering while rolling my own ammo.What would you do?I can't make a decision that lasts a 1/2 hour right now.I'm leaning towards a rifle for some value down the road but I don't have even one top line scope.Thought about a custom barrel for one of my guns.Man this is some hard stuff here.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh by the way is it wrong to have more than one Savage rifle in the same caliber?Like 243.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Nothing wrong with having more than one rifle in the same caliber depending on what you like and what you intend to do with them. I'm more into variety and look for something I don't have or something I would like to play with rather than the same thing. After all you can only use one at a time. I do have some duplicate calibers but that would be such as 308 where I have a bolt gun and lever gun as an example. You don't have the break the bank or spend the wad on a scope. You can buy very good quality scopes from Vortex, Nikon, Leupold, etc for $500-$600 and still have some cash for some reloading tools or other toys.

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
Do you have a quality pair of binoculars? When I'm hunting I only use the rifle for a few seconds on a trip but I spend a lot of time glassing and good binoculars are a pleasure.

I have the Cabela’s Europeans. I tried the new Europeans with the High Def glass and they even better.

Now that I have muddied the waters further....good luck.

·
Registered
983 Posts
If i had a grand i would be getting a jm stamped 45-70 guide gun with a leupold 2-7, and then get some rekoading stuff lol. Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
You must have been very good this year. If it was my money I would stock up on loading components. Yes, boring old primers, powder, brass and bullets. Merry Christmas.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You got me there.The decision has been made.A new savage model 16 in 204 Ruger is ordered and paid for.I don't have or need one just wanted one.Now I have to order dies,brass and bullets.I came real close to buying a marlin 1894 in 44 mag that was in stock.I don't know but it felt like junk/cheesy,if it was 357 mag I may have done it.Thanks guys for the input.I was dreaming about guns last night.Still not sure I made the correct decision but at least I made one.I never had to do this before.Lol.Spending that no strings attached.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
RobOz said:
You must have been very good this year. If it was my money I would stock up on loading components. Yes, boring old primers, powder, brass and bullets. Merry Christmas.
That's my plan. I have a longevity check coming my way in January and it's going to be used for bullets, powder and primers.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
If I had that much for Christmas I'd pay some bills and keep the wife happy. That would b a great gift for me. Merry X-Mas everyone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts