The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to check my traps earlier I had a skunk it not a fox like wanted again. I tried to get close to let him out but he kept trying to spray so I had to dispatch him. I was wondering what yous do when you get a skunk.

·
Registered
339 Posts
That depends.... did you dispatch it with the shotgun??

Seriously though, I skinned one, but the backlash I got about how bad I smelled put an end to that.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I try to dispatch them without having them spray. If successful, I take them home and put them up like any other fur.

If they spray, I let them lay for 24 hours, bring them home on the next check then skin them and put them up like any other fur.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rain Man said:
That depends.... did you dispatch it with the shotgun??

Seriously though, I skinned one, but the backlash I got about how bad I smelled put an end to that.
Yea I shot him with a shotgun extra range choke tube 70yard range aimed for the head so I know I didnt hit him in the back end to rupture anything.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lugnut said:
I try to dispatch them without having them spray. If successful, I take them home and put them up like any other fur.

If they spray, I let them lay for 24 hours, bring them home on the next check then skin them and put them up like any other fur.
When I shot him he didnt spray he sprayed before I even got to the traps yea I should probably hang him up air it out for 24 hours.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
You thought you were going to walk up to a skunk in a foothold and release it????

You've got a bigger pair than me! Whew! Between the spray and the claws i aint releasing a skunk!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mauser06 said:
You thought you were going to walk up to a skunk in a foothold and release it????

You've got a bigger pair than me! Whew! Between the spray and the claws i aint releasing a skunk!
I would of released it I have no problem walking up to it and holding it down and releasing it if it wasnt going to spray. I woulda rather released him then have the stench stuck in my car.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
You can slowlllllly sneak up on a skunk and not have it spray...they are very close to blind from what I've read...but trying to release one and i think hes gunna blast you lol....not to mention they are one of the more destructive critters out there to ground nesting birds etc...

Oh....and their essence sells for 15$ an ounce or so and a skunk with good pods that hasnt sprayed can have an ounce or better in it....they are worth dealing with if you get em! Essence can.also be used by the trapper to make bait and lure too...

If they spray i get upwind and get them out of the trap and hang them up to air out some...if bad they can go in a bucket with peroxide and baking soda hole to destink them...but i want the skunk and i want the set re-made that day...fresh skunk.spray draws yotes and fox...

Ive lucked out...the 2 ive caught.have been on windy days...get upwind of them and careful skinning with disposable rubber gloves and its not an issue...

Careful not to walk or kneel where they sprayed or.your boots/clothes will smell a longgggg time....and when you approach and dispatch keep upwind...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mauser06 said:
You can slowlllllly sneak up on a skunk and not have it spray...they are very close to blind from what I've read...but trying to release one and i think hes gunna blast you lol....not to mention they are one of the more destructive critters out there to ground nesting birds etc...

Oh....and their essence sells for 15$ an ounce or so and a skunk with good pods that hasnt sprayed can have an ounce or better in it....they are worth dealing with if you get em! Essence can.also be used by the trapper to make bait and lure too...

If they spray i get upwind and get them out of the trap and hang them up to air out some...if bad they can go in a bucket with peroxide and baking soda hole to destink them...but i want the skunk and i want the set re-made that day...fresh skunk.spray draws yotes and fox...

Ive lucked out...the 2 ive caught.have been on windy days...get upwind of them and careful skinning with disposable rubber gloves and its not an issue...

Careful not to walk or kneel where they sprayed or.your boots/clothes will smell a longgggg time....and when you approach and dispatch keep upwind...
Thanks I just need to find a person who buys the essence and I was up wind luckly.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Thanks I just need to find a person who buys the essence
Any reputable lure maker would be glad to buy it from you. Years ago, I used to sell skunk essence to Stanley Hawbaker in Fort Loudon.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
i've let a lot of them out. just gotta sweet talk em. then i made a skunk pole. i caught 2 this year. got over an ounce of essence and 2 nice skunk hides to tan or sell. no stink at all with the pole just take the essence out before you skin.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
just dont get bit. Rabies dont wash off. those beady black eyes show no emotion so you cant tell what they are thinking. my wifes kinda like that so i'm a trained professional.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Well bobcat, you win! Lol.

Your right you can never tell what they are thinking....till the tail raises! Lol.

Need to lower my pan tension again this year and try to get me a skunk or 2 to tan...last year i ran my traps higher and didnt have any skunks..

·
Registered
207 Posts
I myself can wait to catch a few skunks.. Id love to make a skunk mtn. man hat someday. What are some best methods for trapping skunks? DP's on garbage night?lol

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Make a real nice fox or coyote set near a woods edge and if there are skunks around, you will catch them. LOL. This set also works great for possums.

Yesterday I caught 2 possums, 1 was dinged and needed dispatch, the other was in fine shape and I let it go. Both growled and acted aggressive, but the one I let go allowed me to put a forked stick over the neck to access the trap. I had to shoo it away too LOL. My point is that skunks are generally as calm as a possum (aggressive possums are unusual to me), and you could take some time and slowly get close enough to release it alive without it spraying. BUT, I can trust a possum, they don't have stinky glands! I simply can't trust a skunk, no matter how calm it may seem.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you make the wrong move you will smell like my right hand and the inside of my truck!!! Got sprayed on the hand on sunday while walking up to dispatch!! Man can they turn around quick!!! I washed it with peroxide baking soda and dish liquid, and it is now skinned and drying in my basement, hardly any smell!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts