The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to buy a 12ga combo with a rilfed barrel and not sure if i want a remington or mossberg i hike them both because i have them in other gauges i want to use it mostly for the fully rifled barell and to do some turkey and coyote hunting

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
6 of one, half dozen of the other. The mossberg is a bit heavier, the Remington a bit more expensive.

I have a Mossberg 500 combo, and I really like it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I have owned both. If the combos have a cantilever slug barrel, making the built in scope mount holes irrelevant on the mossberg I would still go Mossberg and here's why. 1. Remington quality has taken a dump right in the crapper in the last decade. What was arguably the best shotgun for the money ever made to now have plastic and cast metal action parts just flies in the face of the Remington reputation. 2. Mossberg triggers are almost ALWAYS smoother and crisper than any 870 trigger (see #1). Mossberg barrels are generally a tad heavier, making that shot just a bit steadier and the barrel porting that doesn't direct the gasses back into your face while still helping to lower recoil a bit is a nice thing. The 870 is still mostly steel though and the Mossbergs have always had aluminum alloy receivers. 3. Unless your Remington comes with a cantilever barrel or factory dilled for optics, the mossberg ijust nakes more sense as you need to have a special drill and tap job done to be able to mount optics on a non-factory drilled Remington because there isn't enough steel in the top strap of the receiver to just drill it for any old mount.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts