The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been setting fox and first time coyote sets. I have alway taken my fair share of fox. Whats digging up my sets this year with no catches. Traps moved and not ste off or off away from the sets??

·
Registered
423 Posts
I had a few dug up and after moving the trap a little side to side, caught a big old boar coon each time. Could also be a gray fox, they like to dig in fresh dirt.
Sometimes you can do everything right and still have dig ups, either due to the above or a smart fox or coyote that may have been pinched in another dirt set.
You might want to move your trap left or right a little or add another trap or throw in a couple different sets in the area besides the sets you are using.
Good luck, and keep us posted on what it was when you catch it.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Did you boil your traps in a new container or in some new die?Did one of your traps have something on it that when you boiled them it contaminated all of them?

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Dug up traps? One of two things.
1. Bait or lure on your trap.
2. Improper trap bedding.

Frankly, I'm betting on number 2.
Anyone else want to hazzard a guess?

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
i bet its coon. esp. if you using peat. they come to the set with weight on there hind legs and if they feel anything soft they dig. sometimes no matter how good you bed the trap, i mean no wiggle at all, they still play in the soft, loose dirt. i had it happen i 2 spots this year. i banged a dp in a few feet away and caught the coon and the flipped traps stopped.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
bobcat said:
i bet its coon. esp. if you using peat. they come to the set with weight on there hind legs and if they feel anything soft they dig. sometimes no matter how good you bed the trap, i mean no wiggle at all, they still play in the soft, loose dirt. i had it happen i 2 spots this year. i banged a dp in a few feet away and caught the coon and the flipped traps stopped.
X2

·
Registered
351 Posts
Coon will do this.
Camo your set, no dirt patterns. Use grass to make it look more natural. 0 pan tension with a hair triger.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts