The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine sent me this pic in an email of a gobbler someone shot in Huntingdon County this past week, so what the heck is wrong with this gobbler? He said the gobbler was walking around stumbling through the woods so he put it out of it's misery. He did tag the bird.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,667 Posts
Could be early stages of poultry blackhead disease. It doesn't look far enough along in his case to have blinded or limited the turkey yet? Several years ago, I found a wild bird whose head was completely black with growths. It was blind but could hear. I walked right up on it. It was pecking the ground blindly trying to find some sort of food.

·
Registered
321 Posts
This looks like a genuine old strain mossy head, was he hunting near a Gallberry thicket?

Asking for a friend, I'm not trying to find out his spot.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
A friend of mine sent me this pic in an email of a gobbler someone shot in Huntingdon County this past week, so what the heck is wrong with this gobbler? He said the gobbler was walking around stumbling through the woods so he put it out of it's misery. He did tag the bird.
Moss, send that photo to the PGC HQ and drectmit to the Bureau of Wildlife management. I do not know that it is buy I will bet the biologists do. If it is something serious and contagious they will want to know where it was taken.

Reactions: thefirstndsecond

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Histomoniasis. Yep. "Blackhead disease".

It's actually a parasitic infection of the bird's liver. There's a protozoa carried by and deposited into the ground in the eggs of a roundworm. Earthworms ingest the eggs...……..turkey eats the earthworm...……….bada-bing. Infected.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would say blackhead disease, I actually shot a gobbler in the fall a few years back. It was in Huntingdon County as well.
I made a mistake (didnt have my cheaters on) and tagged it with the wrong tag (buck tag). I called the PGC so they could issue me a new tag, when we met (real nice guys) I showed them the turkey and they really didn't know what was wrong. I did an internet search and came to the conclusion it was black head. The one I harvested was a longbeard it was with a fall flock but it was real lethargic.

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Moss, send that photo to the PGC HQ and drectmit to the Bureau of Wildlife management. I do not know that it is buy I will bet the biologists do. If it is something serious and contagious they will want to know where it was taken.
I passed the word along WW

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Great, the right thing to do. :thumbs:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts