The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know as the owner of this site for 5+ years now i have seen just about everything debated to the nth degree. Some things I knew how i felt about it right away, some things i did 180's on as the facts came in, some things the jury is still out...but one thing I realized THIS year is that crossbow has been the biggest mover and shaker in hunter participation that this state has done in decades. Now I am not going to link up a bunch of studies to prove this...I am just going to relay to you my 2011. At this point I must give credit as well to the mentor doe tag transfer, but even without that I think we would of ALL been out there chasing bucks maybe just not being as successful.

10/1/2011 My son Joey 8 takes his first deer with a crossbow

10/8/2011 My nephew Mick 10 got his first using a crossbow

10/15/2011 My niece and god daughter Leigh gets her first with a crossbow

And what did it do for me in a couple years??

Not to mention two does for me and one for my other son (14)

Now I sit here on 11/3 a Thursday night and i got my Dad (71) coming up for a two day hunt with his crossbow, my father in law who hunted our place this week, and a got a 3 generation hunt coming up on Saturday...with Dad, me and my son (14) and likely others taking their kids up in our group. Not doing deer drives and taking 100 yard shots like many can remebmer being said , but sitting in stand and hoping for that close encounter with a PA whitetail just like any other archer.

Now some will say we all could be shooting compounds, but i tell you right now no one loves hunting more than us and this statement would simply not hold true here, we all own compounds (short of some of the kids) we have for years and years, and this type of stuff never happened in all those years, we were solo hunters period, not sharing hunts and NOT taking kids that is for darn sure.

Say what you will, but I have seen change in PA hunting, lots of it, and NOTHING has rocked the PA hunting scene in a more positive way than the inclusion of the crossbow in archery season, but heck if you are reading this you already know that. And here I had some skeptisism back at the beginning on this one for that I show some shame.

My Dad sounded like a 12 year old kid on the phone today and should be here in about an hour, if i get a call while at work tomorrow from him I will go absolutely nuts....yeah PA makes some good moves too, and life is good in the Keystone state.

GOD BLESS AND ENJOY!!! We sure the heck are and I only wish ALL the best!! Get out there these are the days you will remember in that rocking chair!!

John

·
Registered
22,041 Posts
Can't top that!

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Not hijacking your thread RB but I feel the same way that you do. I thought I would provide some backup to yours. I didn't show the pics on here, but we have three generations hunting with the crossbow. My dad would not want his pics posted on a public forum so that is why I have never posted them. He killed a 10 point the same night that Colton killed his buck and he killed a doe the same night as one of my does. So in three generations we have killed 7 deer this season with the crossbow with 3 being bucks.

I used to hunt alot with the vertical bow, but with some changes in work I never had the time for the last 5 or 6 years. Well another change a little over a year ago allowed me to archery hunt again. I would have probably went back to the vertical bow, but with Colton starting to hunt I decided to go the crossbow route. This by far was the best archery season that I have enjoyed. My wife has said she might try it next year, so we might have another join the ranks.

Here is our first season with the crossbow.

Oct 7 Colton's button buck

Oct 17 Colton's Buck

Oct 18 My Doe

Oct 24 Another Doe

Oct 28 My buck

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We got to get the tribes to meet up someday Cspot...

That is not a hijack, that is a confirmation and reinforcement of my findings here.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Not only do I agree with you RB, I will add that it gives us older hunters a chance to get back in the woods and have a regained confidence of making a humane shot. As a hunter who had given up the Archery aspect several years before the vote for inclusion I can honestly say that I am as excited about being in the woods tomorrow and Saturday as I ever was. Crossbows are definitely the "blue pill" for aged archers.

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
I have been hunting for 28 years. Have seen alot come and go. There are three recent intitiatives that have generated a new excitement for hunting that I haven't see before.

Youth seasons, the mentored youth intitiative and crossbow inclusion.

Use to be hesitant about crossbow inclusion, then worked very hard to see it happen. I am loving what I am seeing and hearing every day. Great stuff.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Great post and I agree 100%. I was on the not so sure side, but Ive seen the light. My 8 yr old son whacked a nice 8 point the first week. Life is good in PA!!!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
RB,
That was a very well written post on your thoughts. I've been hunting since 1958. I'll be 68 in Dec. I've only hunted archery since 1999 when I retired. Wish I would have started archery a lot sooner. Only got five deer with my Hoyt compound with a samll 8pt last year. Thought I could get thru this season with the Hoyt but the pain in my left shoulder just won't let me draw it back. So I went to a Ten Point c rossbow this season. I absolutely love it. I did not draw blood with it yet. Ranged 3 doe last night at 48 yds. but I won't shoot that far. Made a resolution to not shoot over 35 yds. with it. I'll get one before the end of the season .....I hope.
Anyway it is a blessing to me cause I would not have been able to get out with the Hoyt this year. That is GREAT that you got those kids into if. They will remember that for a life time.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
great post. i am a die hard compound guy and my crossbow gathers dust, but i love seeing more people enjoying the archery woods and gettin to hunt their natural paterns; learn more and more about deer, and see the excitement in their eyes when they get their first deer.

As a compound guy i do get swept up in the LONER mentality and can get greedy about people in my area but nothing beats seeing a kid get their first deer. When PA started the mentoured youth program i couldnt be happier. I am looking forward to taking my nephew (7) out next year after a summer of shooting and training. I will let him hunt my area all day long. I even told a girl whom my is my wifes best friend i would take her out and let her hunt in a blind under my stand. And she uses an x bow. Just because i don't use one doesnt mean i should look down on people who do. Same as the fact i love fly fishing but would never look down on a bait fisherman.

The only people who i look down on our slobs. Litter bugs, people who take unethical shots, and these guys are out there no matter what gear they use.

Great post and lets all do what we can to keep Kid's in the outdoors and pass our knowledge down to other hunters as well.

·
Banned
629 Posts
Hunted archery many years ago for a couple years. Never shot a deer.

Got back into archery this year because of the crossbow. Why I didn't buy one a couple years ago I'll never know. First year out with the Parker Tornado, 2 shots-2 deer. 1 doe and 1 7pt buck. Both pass through shots.

Might not be to many years before more crossbows are in the woods than bows.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Crossbows are definitely the "blue pill" for aged archers.
[/quote]

So true !

RB,
On the other side of the spectrum is the group I hunt with. Next week there will be six of us in camp for a crossbow hunt, three of which are over 60 years old and have enjoyed getting back into the archery woods. The other two are middle aged and were not really into archery until the inclusion of cross bows. So there you have five hunters back in the woods again just in our little group. The crossbow has been a blessing to the sport, it has put many youth and seniors in the woods but yet remains one of the most debated topic in our sport. Go figure.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts